Confirmed with Link: David Reinbacher Signed to 3-Year ELC

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry for my ignorance, what's the difference of signing a draftee right after being drafted vs signing 1-2 years later when he starts playing for the team ?

He's gets his signing bonuses now. In terms of contract it will slide its start date until he starts playing in the NHL or turns 20.

But we get the kids a little extra coin up front.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He's gets his signing bonuses now. In terms of contract it will slide its start date until he starts playing in the NHL or turns 20.

But we get the kids a little extra coin up front.
I also think the AAV goes down as a result (I'm in a fantasy league with salary cap). Don't know if this actually impacts NHL salary cap though.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He said he would let the team decide what was best for him.............either way we do not need to rush this kid, which is why they call these developing years...
We have the back end coming along nicely, with DR, LM, and LH to go with Guhlie.
Our D is going to be set for years....

Our forwards on the other hand.............we are 1-2 away from being a very good team.
That’s the key IMO - even if the decision is AHL, let him spend entire season in Laval

I think he has to stay in Europe for one year due to his national work he has to complete, but I could be wrong.
He said he could finish his last year of school
On-line

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
That’s the key IMO - even if the decision is AHL, let him spend entire season in Laval

He said he could finish his last year of school
On-line
I agree although I would like to see all three of them make the Habs in 2024-25 to develop one year under MSL before the team go in win now mode.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
D will be crowded in Laval. Eric Faille said on RDS that by the end of the year Reinbacher was running the PP. I want him to play PP1 and first pairing, so I'd send him back to Switzerland.

Mailloux and Tourigny on the right and Beaudin and maybe Trudeau on the left might get PP minutes.. and if we go just 1D on the PP to mirror what we're doing in MTL, even less chance he gets those minutes.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Europe for the year then some AHL to get comfy on NA ice then NHL.

I think he's 1 and a half season away from playing in Montréal, 2 at max unless they reeeeaally want to polish some aspects of his game. He's not a project, he might play in the NHL sooner than later and it won't be because he's being rushed.

Reactions: MXD

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I also think the AAV goes down as a result (I'm in a fantasy league with salary cap). Don't know if this actually impacts NHL salary cap though.
It does. If you on cap friendly and check a young guy who's contract slid you can see how it works. basically, it gets lowered by his signing bonus divided by 3 (a little more than 31k). If he does Europe this year and AHL next year, it will slide again (barring playing too many NHL games) and his cap hit will go down another 31k-ish.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
dont know much about the swiss league but i woudlnt mind him in Laval under our coaches and Adam Nicholas

im okay with either decision
Our new front office likes to keep our prospects in NA. Just an observation and I hope they keep to it.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Kid wants to play in Europe and you don't say you want to play in Europe during an interview if you don't want to play in Europe.
We have too many Dmen already who absolutely need to be evaluated because we are going to have to start moving some of them next season.
To me that says he knows he is not where he wants to be when he tackles NA. The astounding rocket ride up the ranks this season tells me he is in a good place. Taking all these things into consideration I'd be surprised if we do otherwise. With Slaf an argument could be made that we were so weak on the wing
there was some logic to keeping him around that isn't the case with Reinbacher IMO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well I learned something new today. I honestly thought Moritz Seider had stayed in Europe after his draft year only to learn he played 49 games in the AHL after he was drafted. I need to do better research in the future.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The Kid wants to play in Europe and you don't say you want to play in Europe during an interview if you don't want to play in Europe.
We have too many Dmen already who absolutely need to be evaluated because we are going to have to start moving some of them next season.
To me that says he knows he is not where he wants to be when he tackles NA. The astounding rocket ride up the ranks this season tells me he is in a good place. Taking all these things into consideration I'd be surprised if we do otherwise. With Slaf an argument could be made that we were so weak on the wing
there was some logic to keeping him around that isn't the case with Reinbacher IMO.h
there was some logic to keeping him around that isn't the case with Reinbacher IMO.
If we are going to draft highly skilled European players? Playing on a significantly larger ice surface, which lends itself to more time to operate? f*** them and get them on the smaller NA ice. It’s not going to get better after a year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd say Switzerland just because it makes it less tempting for the Habs to call him up.

Just don't rush him, ffs

I'm more worried about the fans/media if he is in Montreal/Laval. GM and scout wannabes will be all over him and he won't be able to focus on just playing and making the little gains others take without it being under a microscope. He'll make a few good plays that gets pumped up and then some bad plays that gets dwelled on. A huge mental distraction IMO.

One more year in the NL is what I say. He's not coming into camp and going to dominate and I really dislike the "don't look out of place" evaluation.

Sure, give him some pre season games and maybe a few NHL games but back to the NL to continue his progress he made last season. Let him complete his goals in the NL before coming to Montreal/Laval full time.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm more worried about the fans/media if he is in Montreal/Laval. GM and scout wannabes will be all over him and he won't be able to focus on just playing and making the little gains others take without it being under a microscope. He'll make a few good plays that gets pumped up and then some bad plays that gets dwelled on. A huge mental distraction IMO.

One more year in the NL is what I say. He's not coming into camp and going to dominate and I really dislike the "don't look out of place" evaluation.

Sure, give him some pre season games and maybe a few NHL games but back to the NL to continue his progress he made last season. Let him complete his goals in the NL before coming to Montreal/Laval full time.
Trust the process............it should be a slow developing of this kid...
We lost the gamble last year with Slaf.............he should have played in the A for half a season before coming up to the show..........
Patience....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well I learned something new today. I honestly thought Moritz Seider had stayed in Europe after his draft year only to learn he played 49 games in the AHL after he was drafted. I need to do better research in the future.

I actually almost fell into that trap as well but looked it up before I said anything. What does it mean? Not sure because I really don't think there is a sure shot blue print on what path each prospect should take. We all thought CHL would be the best for Mesar this past year. Not really.

I prefer the long game strategy. What Reinbacher is next season means nothing to who he can be at age 20/21+. Just let him take the gains one step at a time IMO. Ask him what he prefer. Laval or back to NL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trust the process............it should be a slow developing of this kid...
We lost the gamble last year with Slaf.............he should have played in the A for half a season before coming up to the show..........
Patience....

I would have let Slaf go back to Europe last season. Totally, our strategy should be the long game, not leap frogging them trying to get them to move along faster.

Remember, Caufield turned pro at age 20 and so did Suzuki and Guhle. They ended up fine. Laval to me should be mostly for age 20+ prospects. You can make exceptions but the exception should not be the rule.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If we are going to draft highly skilled European players? Playing on a significantly larger ice surface, which lends itself to more time to operate? f*** them and get them on the smaller NA ice. It’s not going to get better after a year.
This does not address any of the other more pertinent reasons why we should send him back. Next year he comes over bigger stronger and more confident he's ready to tackle NA. He starts his pro career in the AHL and then makes the jump. Morits Seider 22 yrs old with two full seasons under his belt. Went to Grand Rapids played 40 some odd games and then went back to Rogle the following season. Were Detroit worried about the smaller NA ice? Why are people so determined to rush a baby particularly a Dman child. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad