Player Discussion David Quinn: Part VI

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think there's a lot of revisionist history going on here. Before this year they played hard for Quinn every game and very rarely got blown out, regardless of how overmatched they were. Did they just decide to tune him out this year, did he suddenly become the worst coach in NHL history. or was this just the most unpredictable, wild year in the team's existence? Like I've always said, they can fire him tomorrow and I wouldn't care, bring in the next guy. Frankly, I'm excited for all the genius takes on the new coach that will probably start before Thanksgiving.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
But again, and this could go in the Davidson-Gorton thread too, but I just don’t see where this warranted iron clad leashes seasons more for the three of them. They were getting blown out of games left and right. The games are unwatchable. And as coach, your team is depleted now with two games to go before last night and he plays Brodzinski more than Kakko. That’s fireable.

Well until this last week or 2 or so they didn't get blown out a lot. But it's all gone to shit lately and 13-1 against the Islanders should be enough alone for him to lose his job.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You know it's funny because one of the stronger #1 overalls in recent years finally started to score a couple of posters starting polluting this board with sarcastic posts about "Quinn ruining him". Now that half the team is gone and the team is officially out of the playoffs and he STILL doesn't play the kids they're nowhere to be found. And we're STILL getting absolutely gaslighted about Quinn supporters don't exist. Perfect example of gaslighting.
I just never understood the pushback, let alone the arrogance with which it was delivered. These guys are all “this is how it works in the real world” and basically calling everyone dumb for not recognizing that. Couldn’t even concede that a different philosophy for developing the team towards a Cup contender could even be reasonable.

Whatever.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He went into the boards late in the 3rd. That didn't really impact the TOI he had/should have had.

I just don't understand how Jonny freaking Brodzinski played more.

Because it was a nothing game they wanted to give some minor league guys a taste of the nhl.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think there's a lot of revisionist history going on here. Before this year they played hard for Quinn every game and very rarely got blown out, regardless of how overmatched they were. Did they just decide to tune him out this year, did he suddenly become the worst coach in NHL history. or was this just the most unpredictable, wild year in the team's existence? Like I've always said, they can fire him tomorrow and I wouldn't care, bring in the next guy. Frankly, I'm excited for all the genius takes on the new coach that will probably start before Thanksgiving.

We've rarely had our top players in the lineup or healthy this year at once, it was a garbage year for us all around, we just need to forget about it and hope we are ready for next year with some more grit and experience.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I do hope they get rid of Quinn if only because his presence has made a bunch of posters deranged.
I’m not sure which direction this argument is coming from. But if it’s pro-Quinn, it’s not his presence, it’s his decision making in the face of a team reality that became clearer and clearer as the season progressed. It’s very easy to become “deranged” when you see the same dumb decisions being made wrt the best prospects this team has ever had even when the playoff race myth became an undeniable truth.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I just never understood the pushback, let alone the arrogance with which it was delivered. These guys are all “this is how it works in the real world” and basically calling everyone dumb for not recognizing that. Couldn’t even concede that a different philosophy for developing the team towards a Cup contender could even be reasonable.

Whatever.

I'm repeating myself then we get gaslighted about there not being any Quinn supporters, much less apologists. We have eyes we can read.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We've rarely had our top players in the lineup or healthy this year at once, it was a garbage year for us all around, we just need to forget about it and hope we are ready for next year with some more grit and experience.

Precisely. These players and coaches need a break, get outta dodge, clear their heads and come back next year ready to go.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I’m not sure which direction this argument is coming from. But if it’s pro-Quinn, it’s not his presence, it’s his decision making in the face of a team reality that became clearer and clearer as the season progressed. It’s very easy to become “deranged” when you see the same dumb decisions being made wrt the best prospects this team has ever had even when the playoff race myth became an undeniable truth.
His employment makes this board unreadable half the time. Instead of discussing hockey he inspires absurd gimmick account names and even longtime posters to incessantly post about his firing as opposed to practically everything else. It's a selfish motive on my part.

His dumb decisions (of which there are lots!) didn't make Kakko look like a complete deer in headlights last year or Lafreniere stand around like a tourist with his thumb up his ass for the middle 20 games of this year. You must think he has some really incredible power and control to make them both show *very* little in the way of even average offensive skill for huge swaths of time when the obvious case is they were both too slow mentally and physically for how fast the league is to put up big numbers out of the gate. It's not 1998. Yes, they're missing counting stats that would make their hockeydb pages look better from a lack of PP time. I think a lot of the anger is he's taken away fans excitement of how the numbers aren't what they wanted.

In b4 Quinninite or something.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
His employment makes this board unreadable half the time. Instead of discussing hockey he inspires absurd gimmick account names and even longtime posters to incessantly post about his firing as opposed to practically everything else. It's a selfish motive on my part.

His dumb decisions (of which there are lots!) didn't make Kakko look like a complete deer in headlights last year or Lafreniere stand around like a tourist with his thumb up his ass for the middle 20 games of this year. You must think he has some really incredible power and control to make them both show *very* little in the way of even average offensive skill for huge swaths of time when the obvious case is they were both too slow mentally and physically for how fast the league is to put up big numbers out of the gate. It's not 1998. Yes, they're missing counting stats that would make their hockeydb pages look better from a lack of PP time. I think a lot of the anger is he's taken away fans excitement of how the numbers aren't what they wanted.

In b4 Quinninite or something.
I mean, citing anything from last season is irrelevant from my perspective. Kakko was awful last year and we all knew it. No one was complaining about his ice time then.

These things have been discussed here ad nauseam, so I hesitate to bring them up again. But, Kakko, in addition to being a prized prospect whose progression is critical to this team’s future, has also been one of the team’s best all around players this year. He is still being treated like a league worst rookie.

Lafreniere, for all his mid season woes, started out looking great. He’s also, apparently, another level of prospect entirely compared to Kakko.

I understand that part of their “failure” thus far is due to improperly calibrated expectations, part due to a strong defensive division, and part due to the players themselves. But to completely absolve the coach of any responsibility for what these kids have shown (or not shown) so far is crazy to me.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Quinn had the team hanging in there and playing tough his first few years. They were also painfully inconsistent, had no discernable identity and whatever mistakes they made in game 1 season 1 of the Quinn era they were still making going into this season.

It's like Quinn met his ceiling immediately and never grew from there. Maybe someone has done it somewhere but I haven't had anyone explain what it is he does so well. What makes him the right guy for this job? DId things change this season? I feel like they got worse but I admit I only watched about 20 games

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I mean, citing anything from last season is irrelevant from my perspective. Kakko was awful last year and we all knew it. No one was complaining about his ice time then.

These things have been discussed here ad nauseam, so I hesitate to bring them up again. But, Kakko, in addition to being a prized prospect whose progression is critical to this team’s future, has also been one of the team’s best all around players this year. He is still being treated like a league worst rookie.

Lafreniere, for all his mid season woes, started out looking great. He’s also, apparently, another level of prospect entirely compared to Kakko.

I understand that part of their “failure” thus far is due to improperly calibrated expectations, part due to a strong defensive division, and part due to the players themselves. But to completely absolve the coach of any responsibility for what these kids have shown (or not shown) so far is crazy to me.
Kakko was indeed awful last year and there was a comical amount of denial and mom'ing about him. You just have a different memory if you think people didn't whine a ton about ice time and linemates. Once upon a time, there was a guy named Jesper Fast...

I don't think anyone absolves the coach of responsibility for the kids play (both are fairly okay, other than Laf being completely lost in the NZ and useless in the OZ for a huge part of the season) so I don't know how to respond to that. I think that's a perception thing with people who don't want to hear rationalizations, good or bad, for something they don't want to see. There's usually a reason stuff is done. Added up, Quinn should have played them both more and in bigger situations. I don't think anyone would deny that. That he got lost in the game to game part of it is obviously a failing of his.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I'm not going to call posters out. Go read the Alexis Lafreniere thread and them gloating "is he still ruined?" because a #1 draft pick improved a little at the end of the year.
You coulda just said it was True Blue, who plainly got tired of having reasoned discussion in the face of 40,000 fire Quinn posts and just trolls in regards to him now. He needs a hobby, but you shouldn't really take his stuff all that seriously.

Reactions: Kords

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I am by far and away David Quinn's biggest supporter. I'm a downright fan of his.
.but there is absolutely no reason he should be the coach come next year. If you're gonna change management you need to change coaches. Otherwise Quinn will be coaching like a lame duck all next season and that's just not good for anyone.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You coulda just said it was True Blue, who plainly got tired of having reasoned discussion in the face of 40,000 fire Quinn posts and just trolls in regards to him now. He needs a hobby, but you shouldn't really take his stuff all that seriously.

Him and kovazub. Not as much as True Blue, though. And why get tired of having a discussion because he's outnumbered? Maybe that's cause for introspection. There are other Quinn supporters for sure, but they're not all trolls, I will say.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I am by far and away David Quinn's biggest supporter. I'm a downright fan of his.
.but there is absolutely no reason he should be the coach come next year. If you're gonna change management you need to change coaches. Otherwise Quinn will be coaching like a lame duck all next season and that's just not good for anyone.

Part of me feels bad because Quinn really does seem like an awesome guy. I mean unlike Torts and AV, he's actually very likable. He's just in way over his head.

Reactions: Kords and Inferno

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Alexis Lafreniere received the lowest average TOI of ANY rookie #1 Overall selection NHL player this CENTURY

Colin Blackwell received more average TOI than both Lafreniere and Filip Chytil

Blackwell spent 22 more minutes on the Power Play, and 45 more minutes at even strength than Chytil.

Chytil and Brett Howden had nearly identical overall TOI numbers

Chytil received fewer average TOI than any other season throughout his first 4 years in the NHL

Lafreniere, Chytil, and Kaapo Kakko combined for 13 fewer minutes of Total Power Play ice time than Ryan Strome

Lafreniere and Chytil didn’t register a SINGLE Power Play Point between them the entire season

Kakko’s average TOI this year was practically identical to his rookie season

The Rangers blew 3rd period leads on at least 6 separate occasions that resulted in a loss

The Rangers were shut-out as many times as the Buffalo Sabres were

Julien Gauthier was a healthy scratch 25 times

Courtesy of blueshirt banter

effen

Feb 3, 2018
200.gif

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Quinn surviving this purge would be shocking and a major red flag. I was always lukewarm on him compared to most but the inconsistent effort from the team and the glacial pace the young players are developing at became more and more concerning as the year went on.

My only issue is that I have no idea who I want to replace him

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad