Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
9dCmaYV.jpg

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah. What the f***? I suppose it’s because we’re still in the playoff race. Kid hasn’t earned it yet.

You know it's funny because one of the stronger #1 overalls in recent years finally started to score a couple of posters started polluting this board with sarcastic posts about "Quinn ruining him". Now that half the team is gone and the team is officially out of the playoffs and he STILL doesn't play the kids they're nowhere to be found. And we're STILL getting absolutely gaslighted about Quinn supporters don't exist. Perfect example of gaslighting.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
well, #1 is not happening. Loved Tocchet as a player so he does get my attention. Honestly, not sure how great a coach he is.

He is not a great coach, and even if I am not a fan he is miles better than Quinn especially on the X and O's. He has his system (Penguin's cup system) and that's it. His Coyotes are much better organized at the basic system level than Quinn, and can zone exit and entry much more quickly and efficiently. He is best with grinders, and doesn't develop kids at all especially forwards - at least he hasn't shown any talent to do that with the Coyotes. The Coyotes had a huge Country Club under Tocchet, who survives mostly because he was loved as a player. Tocchet's a Premium member of the Old Boys Club that will always be looked out for.

Pros: 1. His team is far better organized than Quinn's (if that says anything) 2. Intimate understanding of the NHL game far beyond Quinn 3. Respected by the refs/everyone as a legend.

Cons: Not much else there to hang your hat on other than the 3 pros. Knows the basics, but doesn't show much outside that. No creativity. No adaptability. Major country club atmosphere with the vets, but I guess he expects the players to know their stuff so they can execute his basic scheme. He has no time for kids if they can't pull it off yet.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I've got no problem if they move on form Quinn. I'm pretty confident he's not the guy to get them to the next level, though I can see a reasonable case for why he should get the start of next year with a short leash.

That said, I think there's way too much scapegoating going on here with regard to what this team really could have been this year, and some pretty unrealistic perspectives on how much he held this team back.

I don't believe there's a coach on this earth, or in history, that was competing for the cup with this team this season. There's a case to be made that Quinn held the team back some, but I think we're talking about a marginal amount of wins here. Possibly the difference between sneaking into the playoffs, but not some entirely different product.

Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Islanders since embarrassing the Rangers have lost to the Sabres twice and Devils once. I'd love to hear more about poor Quinn whose team is overmatched by the Islanders. f*** that noise.

Edit: They also lost 3 in a row before the Rangers games. They are 2-5-1 in their last 8, 0-5-1 against anyone not the Rangers. Please tell me again how Quinn's talent is so overmatched that he gets an excuse.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Having said the above - I can kind of see the appeal for a rookie GM. Tocchet's a safe pair of hand if you are looking to stabilize the ship, he's name recognition would buy you some time - and, not least, Tocchet's not a giant walking dickhead like one or two of the other names mentioned as veteran coach possibilities. He could keep the show on the road for 3-4 years making the playoffs (and Dolan happy).

If you are looking for a brilliant mind to shape a new team from scratch Tocchet's not your man, but that doesn't seem to be where the NYR are at now.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Islanders since embarrassing the Rangers have lost to the Sabres twice and Devils once. I'd love to hear more about poor Quinn whose team is overmatched by the Islanders. f*** that noise.

Edit: They also lost 3 in a row before the Rangers games. They are 2-5-1 in their last 8, 0-5-1 against anyone not the Rangers. Please tell me again how Quinn's talent is so overmatched that he gets an excuse.

The team completely disintegrated under Quinn, the vets checked out a year ago and the kids are getting stiffed for upjumped AHL vets. To bring him back would be sheer lunacy, but with the state of things who can say for sure.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Quinn was overmatched alright. In the coaching dept. The Islanders' past month should be the nail in Quinn's coffin. A team that cannot score if its life depended on it, that struggles against the bottom feeders in our division, absolutely smoked Quinn's team 3 straight games. Complete domination.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Quinn was overmatched alright. In the coaching dept. The Islanders' past month should be the nail in Quinn's coffin. A team that cannot score if its life depended on it, that struggles against the bottom feeders in our division, absolutely smoked Quinn's team 3 straight games. Complete domination.

I mean this is a check mate argument, no? The only argument that the Quinn bros had was a tough division and the Rangers not being "there yet". Are the Sabres and Devils there yet?

Reactions: Synergy27

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'll give him credit for one thing. Yesterday's game was an impossible situation. The fact they only lost 4-0 might no joke have been one of the better coaching jobs of Quinn in his tenure here. I didn't see the game though, maybe it was all Shesterkin.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I'll give him credit for one thing. Yesterday's game was an impossible situation. The fact they only lost 4-0 might no joke have been one of the better coaching jobs of Quinn in his tenure here. I didn't see the game though, maybe it was all Shesterkin.
Bruins are more concerned with getting rest for the playoffs. They got the early lead and didn't push the pace much after that.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He went into the boards late in the 3rd. That didn't really impact the TOI he had/should have had.

I just don't understand how Jonny freaking Brodzinski played more.

Are you complaining that Brodzinski played TWENTY SECONDS more? They played on the same line. Of course the TOI was similar. And that did effect his TOI. He didn't play the last 5 minutes of the game and Brodzinki got 2+ more shifts.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Where did the Quinn supporters go? Can they just confirm that they are relatives of David Quinn? I didn't take names... wish I had. Their responses to me, were so comical and outlandish, I never replied.

Reactions: CLW and tomobson

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Where did the Quinn supporters go? Can they just confirm that they are relatives of David Quinn? I didn't take names... wish I had. Their responses to me, were so comical and outlandish, I never replied.

We literally just discuss this last night. And probably the day before. And probably 100 times already.

I don't care if you love Quinn, hate Quinn, or are somewhere in the middle.

A post like this only serves one purpose and goes one direction.

We gotta knock this shit off.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The amount of Quinn supporters is limited only by your imagination.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

But again, and this could go in the Davidson-Gorton thread too, but I just don’t see where this warranted iron clad leashes seasons more for the three of them. They were getting blown out of games left and right. The games are unwatchable. And as coach, your team is depleted now with two games to go before last night and he plays Brodzinski more than Kakko. That’s fireable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad