Player Discussion David Quinn: Part VI

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Graves 97

"I think it’s safe to say both sides are being ridiculous at this point with their respective extremist arguments. However, the fact that most Quinn supports rate him at a 5-6/10 speaks volumes to his ability to coach the team. Me personally, I believe a team with the resources they possess can find someone with both the developmental abilities as well as the ability to draw up the X’s and O’s. Short of getting rid of all the veterans who fail or refuse to employ Quinn’s “system” there is not much to do at this point. I believe we need a new voice and direction for the team."

This is a key point. You can't have major roster turnover in a capped league if you don't want to bleed talent and just get futures back. It's difficult enough to move one contract for a comparable piece.

The fact is our notable vets (Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Trouba) all have a history of playing within a system under very different previous coaches and following directions successfully. They didn't have an epiphany and become uncoachable. Panarin played within Torts' defensive system. Zib was probably our best forward last time this team saw playoffs. Within AV's system. None of these guys have a rep as freelancers incapable of following instructions.

And yet the team plays very differently from the style Quinn describes in interviews. After 3 years there should have been a discernible pattern of play long established. They keep going one way while Quinn is preaching another. Something is lost in communication or the coach can't adjust his system to the roster.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I actually liked the DQ hiring at first, I liked that they went a little out of the box there. The idea of bringing in a college coach would seem to lend itself well with the young guys. But a lot of the issues and criticism today are things that started from the get-go. Theres a couple things about DQ that I've liked, theres a long list of things I haven't. That being said I dont see the point in going back and forth with people everyday about it. There's certain things just not worth fighting about, I'm not gonna argue with someone on how Jimmy Vesey spends a season on the 2nd line. You can like a coach or you can not like a coach, you can like some decisions and not like some decisions... it is what it is

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Assuming Brind'Amour is not available, I think Gallant is a great hire.

I'm not 100% sold on him, but he's likely the best coach available and this team can at least become a contender under him.

Last edited:

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Maurice has been in WPG for a while. They’ve underperformed this year in a very weak division. He’s done fairly developing a young team, so if they decide to move on, he’s one coach I’d keep an eye on.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
I may get some flack. Babcock did wonders with the development of the leaf kids. He's a good coach, that made some mistakes. Like Avery said.. he's a man that treats every individual differently, aiming to get the best out of them (unlike Torts who just screams). He has a psychology degree. He demands hard work from his players and rewards those with good work ethic. Lafraniere and Kakko would thrive under him.

Second option is to pry Montgomery from St.Louis. He did well with Dallas and all their egos in the limited time he was there.

Third option is Gerrard Gallant. Hearing the Vegas players speak about him and their adoration for him.... He got fired when the team was a few points out of first and had struggling goaltending.

Last edited:
Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I may get some flack. Babcock did wonders with the development of the leaf kids. He's a good coach, that made some mistakes. Like Avery said.. he's a man that treats every individual differently, aiming to get the best out of them (unlike Torts who just screams). He has a psychology degree. He demands hard work from his players and rewards those with good work ethic. Lafraniere and Kakko would thrive under him.

Second option is to pry Montgomery from St.Louis. He did well with Dallas and all there egos in the limited time he was there.

Third option is Gerrard Gallant. Hearing the Vegas players speak about him and their adoration for him.... He got fired when the team was a few points out of first and had struggling goaltending.
Brind'Amour
Tocchet
Green
Babcock

I haven't watched much of Vancouver but Green seems to be doing a decent job with the kids.

but far and away, I'd offer Brind'Amour whatever he wants. Outbid everyone

Reactions: mcdonagh4captain

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don’t really see an urgent need to fire him, but I definitely don’t see any specific reason to keep him around either.

I was open minded to him when they hired him, but I’ve seen way more that I dislike than I’ve liked in his tenure.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
why? It’s the same garbage arguments. We finished the season pretty much exactly as predicted. We will be contenders in 2-3 years.

yea, but there has to be roster changes by next season IMO. This roster can play a full season and skate freely yet they’ll get pummeled when the ice shrinks.

Honestly, if the game plan is to wait for the kids to develop then there is no reason to keep Zibby, Buch or Kreider. You keep those guys if you’re going to add some grit. Going through the motions is a waste of time.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I’d rather keep Quinn until the end of time instead of hiring Babcock. He’s a dinosaur and a bully. He got some teams with a few of the best players of all time to perform well, that’s great but not what this team needs now especially considering all the baggage that he brings with him

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
yea, but there has to be roster changes by next season IMO. This roster can play a full season and skate freely yet they’ll get pummeled when the ice shrinks.

Honestly, if the game plan is to wait for the kids to develop then there is no reason to keep Zibby, Buch or Kreider. You keep those guys if you’re going to add some grit. Going through the motions is a waste of time.

I agree a hundred percent with what you said. I didn't say anyhing to contradict it - I don't know if you meant to reply to me. 2-3 years, I hope Zibby Buch or Kreider are still around. Also, there is definitely value in keeping players to win and to mentor the youth. Otherwise we end up like Buff or old Edm.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I'd absolutely love Mike Sullivan from the Penguins but that seems far fetched/impossible. The guy is a proven winner and proven to take under performing teams and makes them over performing teams! I will say though that I think he's going no where. I might be curios on a guy like Brind'Amour but again I don't see him going anywhere.

The Rangers won't get either of those guys and will probably settle for a second tier guy off one of those staff's. Maybe like a Todd Reirden( Pens staff)/ Dean Chynoweth( Hurricanes staff) type guy.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I'd absolutely love Mike Sullivan from the Penguins but that seems far fetched/impossible. The guy is a proven winner and proven to take under performing teams and makes them over performing teams! I will say though that I think he's going no where. I might be curios on a guy like Brind'Amour but again I don't see him going anywhere.

The Rangers won't get either of those guys and will probably settle for a second tier guy off one of those staff's. Maybe like a Todd Reirden( Pens staff)/ Dean Chynoweth( Hurricanes staff) type guy.

Would you prefer one of those second tier guys over Quinn?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Would you prefer one of those second tier guys over Quinn?

That's the million dollar question I think. If those are the best options, I'm not sure I'd go that route. If it's a NHL retread that has some experience I might consider them. The team needs a solid presence behind the bench. The presence of a guy who has a structure and a consistent presence and approach is way more important than someone like Quinn, who, after 3 seasons, almost no one can describe his system or structure and seems to treat every player differently.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Sullivan has never taken an underperforming team and made them overperforming. Not that I'd be against him if they were making a change, but that's not the expectation I'd have of him.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Sullivan has never taken an underperforming team and made them overperforming. Not that I'd be against him if they were making a change, but that's not the expectation I'd have of him.

This year Penguins team is completely not supposed to be a playoff team. In fact some experts felt they would be in last in this division. They are now primed to make the playoffs. I'd consider that taking an underperforming team and making them into a performing or overachieving team.

Stanley Cup predictions for 2020-21 NHL season

A quick glance has about 5 of the experts even saying the Penguins would make the playoffs...

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Isn't that exactly what happened when he was promoted to Pittsburgh from Wilkes-Barre?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This year Penguins team is completely not supposed to be a playoff team. In fact some experts felt they would be in last in this division. They are now primed to make the playoffs. I'd consider that taking an underperforming team and making them into a performing or overachieving team.

Stanley Cup predictions for 2020-21 NHL season

A quick glance has about 5 of the experts even saying the Penguins would make the playoffs...

Happens every year right now: predictions of the decline of Crosby and Malkin. If it doesn't happen, the Penguins making the playoffs isn't over-performing. It hasn't happened yet. Maybe next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->