Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I have Quinn below Renney, but still well above the likes of Low, Muckler, Campbell and Trottier.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’m going to say something that may be unpopular. Igor is an excellent young goalie but he’s not in Lundqvist territory at least yet and he might not get there. To me he’s closer right now to Mike Richter than Henrik.

on who should have played last night—despite their records against the Isles it should have been Igor so I don’t have a problem with that decision though I’d lean towards Alex for the next one.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have Quinn below Renney, but still well above the likes of Low, Muckler, Campbell and Trottier.
This isn’t saying much at all...

With the season on the line last night, thats how the team came out and played? Its a team with no spine because they have a coach with no spine.

That was a pathetic, embarrassing showing. They got bullied. Bullied. Including the coach. Mainly the coach. Because after all the meetings with the Islanders he couldnt devise a game plan to stop them. The Islanders, who STRUGGLE to score against everyone else. Says a whole lot.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I’m going to say something that may be unpopular. Igor is an excellent young goalie but he’s not in Lundqvist territory at least yet and he might not get there. To me he’s closer right now to Mike Richter than Henrik.

on who should have played last night—despite their records against the Isles it should have been Igor so I don’t have a problem with that decision though I’d lean towards Alex for the next one.

Why are we even putting him in that tier at this point?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Lundqvist wasn't "The King" in his first NHL season, or more broadly early in his career either. I agree we don't know that Shesterkin will get there at all but his career performance has a lot of parallels with Hank so far to suggest it's not out of reach.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I do not think you can compare but I also think you're looking back with rose color glasses. They are both similar imo.

Lundqvist was replacing a lot of journeyman slop. Shesterkin is replacing a Rangers and Hockey Legend. Numbers are similar. Lundqvist really had insane seasons under Torts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Why are we even putting him in that tier at this point?

Igor is better than 38 year old Henrik but 25 year old Igor vs. 25 year old Henrik I don’t think so. Igor’s the backup no question in that scenario.

the elite level players on this team are 1. Panarin and 2. Fox and the next closest is Mika or at least when he stays away from deadly viruses. Igor is very, very good but he’s not even arguably the best in the league.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Lundqvist wasn't "The King" in his first NHL season, or more broadly early in his career either. I agree we don't know that Shesterkin will get there at all but his career performance has a lot of parallels with Hank so far to suggest it's not out of reach.
??

upload_2021-4-30_9-0-15.png

upload_2021-4-30_9-0-20.png

upload_2021-4-30_9-0-31.png

upload_2021-4-30_9-0-36.png

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

44 games into their respective careers, I'd say they're probably closer than we think. But to your point, I think we're more than fine even if Shesterkin is 90 percent of the goalie Lundqvist was.

Lundqvist is going into the HOF in a few years. He set a very high bar. The odds of someone matching that are on the lower side. But, at worst, I think Shesterkin has the potential to be "close enough" that it'll work. How close remains to be seen. But through 44 games, so far I'd say he's tracking that way.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lundqvist's teams were significantly better defensively, their save % was almost identical but the goals against favor Lundqvist by a lot.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I don't see Quinn going anywhere yet and have been more supportive than not, but he's gotta make some adjustments this offseason himself. He's a young coach so I've been cool with letting him grow along with the team, and I think there's been some strides and mostly positive results, but I certainly am concerned with the effort his team's are showing in big time games.

Am I the only one who has gotten AV-team vibes in these big games? That guy is notorious for not being able to lead a team in the big moments, have them ready, help them over the hump because he's so hands off. Not saying this is Quinns exact problem, but the vibe that this team can be so underwhelmingly prepared for such huge games is concerning.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
His numbers are fine. He’s had some iffy games sprinkled throughout the season.

I’m taking exception to “Lundqvist wasn't "The King" in his first NHL season, or more broadly early in his career either.”

That’s sort of...not the case.

I was talking about his King's signature ability to lock down games with 1 ga or less when team couldn't generate any offense in a response to the post that said Shesterkin might never reach that level. Otherwise the Russian's career so far doesn't say that he potentially can't.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundqvist's teams were significantly better defensively, their save % was almost identical but the goals against favor Lundqvist by a lot.

It's worth noting that by the time Shesterkin gets to 52 games (the same amount Lundqvist played as a rookie), he's currently on pace to face around 200 more shots.

Shesterkin's quality start percentage through 44 games is actually higher than any season Lundqvist posted.

Point being, we're really pretty close to the same zip code here through 44 games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
His numbers are fine. He’s had some iffy games sprinkled throughout the season.

I’m taking exception to “Lundqvist wasn't "The King" in his first NHL season, or more broadly early in his career either.”

That’s sort of...not the case.

Lundqvist didn't have iffy games?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's worth noting that by the time Shesterkin gets to 52 games (the same amount Lundqvist played as a rookie), he's currently on pace to face around 200 more shots.

Shesterkin's quality start percentage through 44 games is actually higher than any season Lundqvist posted.

Point being, we're really pretty close to the same zip code here through 44 games.

Lundqvist was playing 70 games a season at Shesterkin's age and putting up the 'slightly' better numbers. That's really not nothing for a goaltender.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundqvist was playing 70 games a season at Shesterkin's age and putting up the 'slightly' better numbers. That's really not nothing for a goaltender.

It's not an insult toward either player. Frankly, they've both been anywhere from damn good to excellent.

Reactions: RGY

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
This isn’t saying much at all...

With the season on the line last night, thats how the team came out and played? Its a team with no spine because they have a coach with no spine.

That was a pathetic, embarrassing showing. They got bullied. Bullied. Including the coach. Mainly the coach. Because after all the meetings with the Islanders he couldnt devise a game plan to stop them. The Islanders, who STRUGGLE to score against everyone else. Says a whole lot.

Where did Quinn hurt you? Show us on this doll.

Reactions: haveandare

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's not an insult toward either player. Frankly, they've both been anywhere from damn good to excellent.

Shesterkin has come exactly as advertised and looks like a top 10 goalie out of the box.

Call me a fanboy, but I don't want to mix him up with Lundqvist who was the best goaltender in the world for basically a decade straight.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I wasn't able to catch this game last night, but it definitely doesn't reflect well on the coach or the players.

That being said, this is a really common phenomenon with young teams. I mean, think about how the Crosby Penguins got embarrassed by the Senators in the playoffs in 06-07. Blown out in game 1. Shut out in the elimination game. That team had some really solid vets: Recchi, Gonchar, Ruutu, Roberts, Malone (who was the same age as Buchnevich is now), Scuderi (27 at the time).

At the same time, our vets who are supposed to lead the way might not have the right mix of skill and mental fortitude here. And clearly the message from the coach in order to try to bolster that hasn't worked yet.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wasn't able to catch this game last night, but it definitely doesn't reflect well on the coach or the players.

That being said, this is a really common phenomenon with young teams. I mean, think about how the Crosby Penguins got embarrassed by the Senators in the playoffs in 06-07. Blown out in game 1. Shut out in the elimination game. That team had some really solid vets: Recchi, Gonchar, Ruutu, Roberts, Malone (who was the same age as Buchnevich is now), Scuderi (27 at the time).

At the same time, our vets who are supposed to lead the way might not have the right mix of skill and mental fortitude here. And clearly the message from the coach in order to try to bolster that hasn't worked yet.

Doesn't reflect well is a bit harsh. It reflects that they are not ready for prime time but if anyone had these expectations (especially with two experienced veteran leaders missing in Trouba and Kreider) - they were kidding themselves.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Doesn't reflect well is a bit harsh. It reflects that they are not ready for prime time but if anyone had these expectations (especially with two experienced veteran leaders missing in Trouba and Kreider) - they were kidding themselves.

How does "not ready for prime time" not qualify for "doesn't reflect well"? I thought it was pretty clear from the 2nd paragraph and the word "yet" at the end of the post that I don't believe this is a permanent thing. A season after getting embarrassed by the Senators in the playoffs, the Penguins were in the SCF.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
How does "not ready for prime time" not qualify for "doesn't reflect well"? I thought it was pretty clear from the 2nd paragraph and the word "yet" at the end of the post that I don't believe this is a permanent thing. A season after getting embarrassed by the Senators in the playoffs, the Penguins were in the SCF.

Your second paragraph was exactly on point and I leave it at that because the rest of my post was subjective.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013

Lol that is bonkers to me. I used to have nightmares for Hank with how much rubber he'd see. His crease was constantly like a prom-after party.

People love to compare I get that, but stylistically they are so different. Igor reminds me of (I'm sure I'll get blasted for this) a lot of Hasek and at times some CuJo and Eddie the Eagle. Some throwback names for ya. Either way, I'd see him challenging Hanks legend because he's that good, I just don't know if he will really surpass him. Win a Cup and we will see where the chips fall, should be a fun ride to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad