Player Discussion David Quinn: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
IMO potential hate for Julien seems more comparable to hate for AV.

Julien is actually a championship-level head coach.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IMO potential hate for Julien seems more comparable to hate for AV.

Julien is actually a championship-level head coach.
He won the Cup as a coach once.

Since he lost in the Finals 8 years ago, he has spent the next year getting out of the first round exactly once and managed to get into the playoffs and loose in the first round exactly twice.

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If the Rangers are not going after Gallant, they are thankfully, not going after Julien

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
He won the Cup as a coach once.

Since he lost in the Finals 8 years ago, he has spent the next year getting out of the first round exactly once and managed to get into the playoffs and loose in the first round exactly twice.

Since the lockout (15 seasons) 11 different head coaches have won the Cup and 12 different head coaches made it to the SCF but lost. So that's a lot of losing even from the best HCs. It is somewhat annoying that head coaches are constantly recycled in the NHL, but there's obviously a reason for it.

I'm not going to judge his performance with the Habs too harshly, that is a terribly-run organization.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Julien would be a slam dunk hire if this were a more veteran group. He basically got scapegoated in Montreal because his goalie sucks balls but in terms of structure and the kind of game I think would be best suited for this group moving forward, he checks a ton of boxes.

But I don't want a guy who is going to lean on veterans more than DQ already does.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Rangers fans: "Let the young kids play their game"

Nick Suzuki: "We are playing not to lose"

Rangers fans: "Kinda cised for Julien"

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Rangers fans: Quinn doesnt develop the kids. Fire him, hire Julien.

Meanwhile Julien ran Seguin out of Boston. And the biggest gripe of Boston and Montreal fans is how he handles kids and adapting to other teams.

Way too many people with Yankee syndrome and just want to chase every shiney penny.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Since the lockout (15 seasons) 11 different head coaches have won the Cup and 12 different head coaches made it to the SCF but lost. So that's a lot of losing even from the best HCs. It is somewhat annoying that head coaches are constantly recycled in the NHL, but there's obviously a reason for it.

I'm not going to judge his performance with the Habs too harshly, that is a terribly-run organization.
You said he is championship level. What does it say that in the last 8 years, he has made the playoffs once and only made it out of the second round once?

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
You said he is championship level. What does it say that in the last 8 years, he has made the playoffs once and only made it out of the second round once?

I would say he fizzled out with the Bruins and again I'm not going to judge his time in Montreal too much. His coaching record looks a lot like Barry Trotz's.

It's not that big of a deal if the Rangers don't hire him but I would be happy if they did. When he was fired he instantly became one of the best coaching candidates available.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo short of very obvious coaching brilliance, championships are won and lost by the players, usually a handful of guys on each team. Saying a coach is a championship level coach because he won with a great team gets difficult to justify at some point. For example, Cooper isn’t some brilliant coach because his absurdly stacked team finally won once after blowing it for years

Reactions: will1066

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Julien would be such a terrible hire but it's exactly what I expect this team to do

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Imo short of very obvious coaching brilliance, championships are won and lost by the players, usually a handful of guys on each team. Saying a coach is a championship level coach because he won with a great team gets difficult to justify at some point. For example, Cooper isn’t some brilliant coach because his absurdly stacked team finally won once after blowing it for years
To that point, is there really an enormous difference between Cooper and AV just because one has won a one Cup and one is four wins shy fo two Cups?

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Or like Quinn in college coaching a team that has the best recruits every year...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Or like Quinn in college coaching a team that has the best recruits every year...
I don’t pay attention to ncaa hockey really so I don’t know. I don’t really think we need to keep beating the idea that some people don’t like Quinn - it’s been dead for a while now. Everything about anything comes back to more justification about why Quinn is the worst. We get it.

I’m talking about nhl coaching in general - I’m hesitant to attribute a really stacked roster winning to its coach unless there was a clear and bold coaching decision that really contributed to the wins. The coach not getting in the way of winning is worth something, but the logic that a coach is “championship caliber” because their great team won is dubious.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I see this is where the DQ burners hang out, defending his personal honor like it’s their own. It’s so cute. You will all follow along the plank with your coveted Saint when his crew realizes there’s no gold at the end of the voyage. And I’m going to be oh so happy that day, the day 90% of this board is going to be able to say “I told you so.” Until then, count your blessings. Because we will not stop, ever, until David Clown is back doing balloon animals at BU.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Rangers fans: Quinn doesnt develop the kids. Fire him, hire Julien.

Meanwhile Julien ran Seguin out of Boston. And the biggest gripe of Boston and Montreal fans is how he handles kids and adapting to other teams.

Way too many people with Yankee syndrome and just want to chase every shiney penny.

i don't want Julien. Its not Julien or Quinn. The fact that Julien was fired from Montreal for a lot less is frustrating, i mean there must be something going on there behind closed doors because he certainly didn't deserve it based on the team's performance, unlike a certain Rangers coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad