Player Discussion David Quinn: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why we are getting another NCAA coach and 2 assistants with almost no NHL coaching experience between 3 of them?

Firing Quinn mid-season isn't going to change anything. If you are going to replace Quinn, you need to have a better alternative available. Who is out there? Gallant? Montgomery? I'm not sure those guys are the answer.

I really was hoping Laviolette would make his way to New York at some point but that ship has sailed now.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People should keep in mind that this is not a veteran team really. The Rangers really are working a lot of young kids into the lineup and a number of these players need to develop more. A more veteran coach like Gallant might not want to put the time in developing them. He might see his mission as win now at whatever cost and push in that direction.

I don't know if Quinn is the guy who is going to take us all the way to the next Stanley Cup but I don't think he's doing as bad as some people think. We're stuck in the toughest division in this Covid season and that should be kept in mind too.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I see I did not have a chance to address this:

I don’t even know what you are arguing anymore? Lol
You just said Hughes is 8 points are nothing. If Kakko had 8 points we’d be first in the NHL.

I don’t know what you are arguing on the strome front either. I said chytil should be playing with Panarin. At this point there are no other options. Everyone saw chytil dominating from day one. Even when he got injured strome was ahead of him on the depth chart.

Continuing to laugh at your post.. you are comparing what Trotz is doing with that laughable roster, to what Quinn is doing with his much superior roster. I can’t believe you even brought that up. Our team on talent and total quality is far superior to NYI. Anyone that doesn’t comprehend that, does not understand hockey.
Get off of the kreider hype.... he is what he is. He’s a complimentary player. He can’t drive a line. In terms of net front presence. It’s not a skill to stand in front of the net. Much rather have kakko there, with those silky hands.
Another thing... what happened to rotating goalies. A man should stick to his word. But this coach has no clue what he’s doing. He should know that the only way to keep his job, is to hope shesterkin bails him out.

Clearly what I was saying was that 3 of Hughes points came in 1 game against the Rangers, so take that one game out and the point differential between Hughes and Kakko is not that great. Again, to illustrate, sometimes one needs to blow out to the ridiculous to illustrated the point. If Hughes got all of his points in his last game, would you still be beating your chest about how much greater is season is?

Chytil - He was certainly NOT dominating from game one, but keep on trying. And yes, at the time of Chytil's injury, Strome's play was awful and a change was looking likely. Everyone wants continuity, but it only revolves around players that they like. At the time of Chytl's injury, he was not ahead on the depth chart. His play was much better than Strome's and a change was probably coming. But then he got hurt.

Now, let's get to the North Star of coaching and Trots. Are you saying that this youngest team in the league, with no structure whatsoever and a flaming heap of a coaching staff that is clearly over their heads and in are panicked is better than the veteran Islanders team, with God's gift to coaching Barry Trots at the helm, and such a sound structure in place? Because it sounds like you believe that the Rangers should have more points than them.

Onto Kreider. Whether he drives a play or not, he IS in fact a top line player in the league and there are only so many of them. We can debate where he falls in the spectrum, but he is in fact such a player. So not sure where the hype is.

Not sure what the rotating goalie problem here is. It sounds like you want them to rotated just because Quinn at one point said it?​

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The contortions that some are putting themselves through to try to keep a narrative so so utterly ridiculous. We now have a case where Buchnevich developed by himself. He just "turned out" to be the player that he was supposed to. Fox came out of Harvard as a perfect hockey player. Granato in Wisconsin is solely responsible for Miller. Lindgren's development was done in Minnesota U and Boston.

All the while, Kakko and Lafreniere are stagnating by the game and are being hopelessly ruined.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The contortions that some are putting themselves through to try to keep a narrative so so utterly ridiculous. We now have a case where Buchnevich developed by himself. He just "turned out" to be the player that he was supposed to. Fox came out of Harvard as a perfect hockey player. Granato in Wisconsin is solely responsible for Miller. Lindgren's development was done in Minnesota U and Boston.

All the while, Kakko and Lafreniere are stagnating by the game and are being hopelessly ruined.
I never debated his 'player development, BUT...

Good player development ≠ Good coach. As said, from the beginning.. He serves a purpose.

Defense did a 180, replacing Ruff with Martin. It's no secret I do not like our PP, our breakout/transition/zone entry. Backing up through the neutral zone, etc.. Is that on Oliver? Does anyone know what Brown does? At what point does Quinn get blame? The cherry on top are the obvious roster/personnel decisions that he seems to mess up and his suspect in-game management. Is that the players fault too?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PI don't know if Quinn is the guy who is going to take us all the way to the next Stanley Cup
He's not. But he is here to lay down the foundation. When the Rangers enter their window, there will be a different coach behind the bench. But that window is not yet here. And barring a complete collapse in which the wheels completely come off the bus and the young players are regressing, Quinn is here and may even see a playoff series or two.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never debated his 'player development, BUT...

Good player development ≠ Good coach. As said, from the beginning.. He serves a purpose.

Defense did a 180, replacing Ruff with Martin. It's no secret I do not like our PP, our breakout/transition/zone entry. Backing up through the neutral zone, etc.. Is that on Oliver? Does anyone know what Brown does? At what point does Quinn get blame? The cherry on top are the obvious roster/personnel decisions that he seems to mess up and his suspect in-game management. Is that the players fault too?
I agree that good player development does not equate with necessarily being a good coach.

To me, the coach owns both the accolades and the damnations. Last year, the defense was a train wreck to start. Part of that was being so young with some players, part of that was having defensively deficient players like DeAngelo, and part of that was having to play players that should not have been playing anymore (Staal). Part of it was also system. That is the backing off the blue line. The defense got progressively better throughout the year.

This year, you can see the structure. They are not backing off. They feature a good break out. They are consistently outshooting their opponents. The chances that they are giving up are less as are the high-danger chances. Martin has installed a new system. They have had all of two weeks to learn it and not practice against other teams. So essentially, they are learning it on the fly. But there is no denying that it is better than last year. And again, as the year moves on, I would expect they to learn it more and become better.

Is that strictly on Martin? Again, the coach ultimately owns the accolades and the damnations.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Why we are getting another NCAA coach and 2 assistants with almost no NHL coaching experience between 3 of them?
I’ve been here through a number of coaches and people literally always complain about the same things no matter what: the coach plays favorites, the coaches system is imperfect, my favorite young player isn’t being given whatever I want him to and all his flaws are the coaches fault - and the classic “the players are tuning him out” every time they have a few bad games in a row.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Firing Quinn mid-season isn't going to change anything. If you are going to replace Quinn, you need to have a better alternative available. Who is out there? Gallant? Montgomery? I'm not sure those guys are the answer.

I really was hoping Laviolette would make his way to New York at some point but that ship has sailed now.

Who was the Swedish coach NYR was linked to a few years back before they hired Quinn? Think it was something like Gronberg.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’ve been here through a number of coaches and people literally always complain about the same things no matter what: the coach plays favorites, the coaches system is imperfect, my favorite young player isn’t being given whatever I want him to and all his flaws are the coaches fault - and the classic “the players are tuning him out” every time they have a few bad games in a row.
You have just outlined every narrative since the day Renney was hired.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who was the Swedish coach NYR was linked to a few years back before they hired Quinn? Think it was something like Gronberg.

Not sure how serious those rumors were but Rikard Grönborg, the former coach of the Swedish national team. He now coaches ZSC in Switzerland, Kevin Klein's team after he left the Rangers

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It’s because replacing the coach is a relatively easy fix. If the players just aren’t good, we’re f***ed. :laugh:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People should keep in mind that this is not a veteran team really. The Rangers really are working a lot of young kids into the lineup and a number of these players need to develop more. A more veteran coach like Gallant might not want to put the time in developing them. He might see his mission as win now at whatever cost and push in that direction.

I don't know if Quinn is the guy who is going to take us all the way to the next Stanley Cup but I don't think he's doing as bad as some people think. We're stuck in the toughest division in this Covid season and that should be kept in mind too.
Quinn sucks with the kids. Simple as that. People thought because he was a college guy he’d be great for the kids. He’s proven he’s not. The kids in Montreal are thriving under old fart Julien. Stereotypes are often wrong.

Reactions: eco's bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Quinn sucks with the kids. Simple as that. People thought because he was a college guy he’d be great for the kids. He’s proven he’s not. The kids in Montreal are thriving under old fart Julien. Stereotypes are often wrong.
Here we go again. Buchnevich, Kakko, Fox, Lindgren, Miller....heck Howden this year. Chytil. Lafreniere looks fine. Yeah, completely sucks with kids. Look at all of the careers he is ruining.

Too bad there are no kids thriving for the Rangers. I mean, would be nice if at least one did.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Here we go again. Buchnevich, Kakko, Fox, Lindgren, Miller....heck Howden this year. Chytil. Lafreniere looks fine. Yeah, completely sucks with kids. Look at all of the careers he is ruining.

Too bad there are no kids thriving for the Rangers. I mean, would be nice if at least one did.

You can keep your head in the sand if you want but the results speak for themselves. Also counting Buchnevich as one of the "kids" = lol

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can keep your head in the sand if you want but the results speak for themselves. Also counting Buchnevich as one of the "kids" = lol
Has Buchnevich taken material steps forward in his play since Quinn arrived here? Yes or no?

And I would LOVE to know what results and examples that you are going to point to as evidence that Quinn has been terrible for the kids.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Has Buchnevich taken material steps forward in his play since Quinn arrived here? Yes or no?

And I would LOVE to know what results and examples that you are going to point to as evidence that Quinn has been terrible for the kids.
oh nothing besides the fact that Kakko and Lafreniere having the worst starts of any top 2 picks in like forever, you can keep clinging to the "He's 18 / 19 years old!!!" excuse completely ignoring that all top picks play in the league at 18 and have all done way better and that includes guys like Yakupov, Hischier, Landeskog, Nugent Hopkins etc. Laf having a worse start than Jack Hughes did.... etc . You can throw all the excuses you want but its a horrible indictment. Kakko having better advanced stats this season doesn't change the fact that he's looking like a a poor man's Jesper Fast out there which is unacceptable for a such a highly touted prospect. Quinn is great at destroying these kid's confidence, getting them away from what made them so successful and such high picks to begin with, get them playing "safe" and boring hockey lest they get banished to the 4th line... he doesn't know how to handle talents like this.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
oh nothing besides the fact that Kakko and Lafreniere having the worst starts of any top 2 picks in like forever, you can keep clinging to the "He's 18 / 19 years old!!!" excuse completely ignoring that all top picks play in the league at 18 and have all done way better and that includes guys like Yakupov, Hischier, Landeskog, Nugent Hopkins etc. Laf having a worse start than Jack Hughes did.... etc . You can throw all the excuses you want but its a horrible indictment.
Kakko has been a disappointment to you this year? How many 19 year olds came in like Lafreniere? Not playing for 10 months, having a two week camp and zero exhibition games? Can you name one single such former 1OA pick?
Kakko having better advanced stats this season doesn't change the fact that he's looking like a a poor man's Jesper Fast out there which is unacceptable for a such a highly touted prospect.
Oh, wow. This really deserves its own special consideration. Kakko looks like a poor man's Fast. Just when you thought that the takes could possibly not get any hotter.
Quinn is great at destroying these kid's confidence, getting them away from what made them so successful and such high picks to begin with, get them playing "safe" and boring hockey lest they get banished to the 4th line... he doesn't know how to handle talents like this.
So by kids, you only mean Lafreniere and Kakko, huh? First of all, what made Kakko successful in Liga is not going to work in the NHL. Last year was the evidence. What made Lafreniere successful in friggin' Canadian juniors, by itself is not going to work in the NHL.

Yes, would that only Quinn was Trotz. HE would know how to handle talents like this by letting them play the way that they feel like. Of course.

These types of panic stricken thoughts really need to go in a pantheon of their own.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Montreal really only has three kids on their roster--Romanov, Kotkaniemi and Mete and they're not playing Mete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->