Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
McDonald's Sunday notes: Ex-Bruins loving historic Stanley...

Lots of notes in here about Quinn from McAvoy and Grezelyck, both who played under Quinn at BU, and Hynes, who is apparently friends with Quinn.

While Boston University lost a good coach this week, the New York Rangers gained an excellent hockey mind when the organization hired David Quinn as its next coach.

Quinn, a native of Cranston, R.I., spent five seasons coaching at his alma mater, but when the NHL came calling — especially an Original Six franchise like the Rangers — it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. So, on Thursday, he was introduced at Madison Square Garden.

The Bruins’ Charlie McAvoy and Matt Grzelcyk recently completed their respective rookie seasons in Boston. Both played for Quinn at BU and the pair of young defensemen are certain their former coach will do well in the NHL.

“I couldn’t have been happier,” McAvoy said. “I was so excited when I found out and sent him a text right away and I’m so happy for him.”

When the Rangers announced to their fans that the organization would begin its rebuild, many believed Quinn would be a perfect candidate to coach in New York because of his ability to develop young players. McAvoy agrees.

“It’s the way that he cares,” explained McAvoy. “I’ve been very fortunate that I’ve had so many people help me. When I went to BU I was able to learn under Quinny, so I’ve been lucky. It’s just how much he cares. I always wanted to play in the NHL, but before I got (to BU) I don’t think I really knew exactly what it meant to really care.

“He was on top of me more than anybody, whether it was the extra videos, or the one-on-one meetings when we talked about how the weekend (games) went, or how I was feeling. Even personal stuff, he did so much for me.”

Grzelcyk, who was was fortunate enough to play under both Jack Parker and Quinn during his career at BU, said he’s thrilled for Quinn.

“Yeah, very happy,” Grzelcyk said. “It’s a great opportunity for him. It’ll be a big challenge, but he’s ready for it. It does make sense for him, timing-wise, but he had a great experience at BU and I know he loved it. I know it was a very tough decision for him, but he’ll be ready for the challenge.”

New Jersey Devils coach John Hynes played four seasons (1993-97) for the Terriers under Parker on Comm Ave. Hynes, a native of Warwick, R.I., is good friends with his new tri-state rival.

“It’s great for him and well deserved,” Hynes said. “He’s on Broadway now.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori and haveandare

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Article from Dan Rosen today: Lundqvist, naming new captain among items for Rangers coach Quinn

I personally found the last bit about Hayes to be the most interesting:
On what is the next step for Kevin Hayes: "He's so close to it. He's so close to being that guy and he's made so many great strides in his career so far. It's just the everyday consistency of the work ethic and the attitude. He's talked about it to me. These are his words. He wants to make the next step. Because we have so many young players, he wants to be a guy they gravitate to and can lead them down the right path. There are so many characteristics that a player and team needs to have success. You need to be mentally tough. You need to be in world-class shape. You need to be a leader. You need to be resilient. All those things you need, and he wants to take the next step in all those areas. He's made strides since he's been in New York, but I think there's another level for him to get to and he knows that. I think [a one-year contract] is a prove-it deal for any guy under a one-year deal, and he knows that."

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Hopefully people cut Quinn some slack when the season starts, brand new league for him and lots of new faces in camp and a completely different system. It will take time for everything to work itself out, I have no expectations but hoping for the best a couple months in

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
There was an article a while back that said Brown would be upstairs with Ruff handling the D and Oliver the forwards.
You're a lttle late.

I posted that before the article came out. :P

Also, it's Brown/Ruff handling the D together. Not Ruff by himself.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You're a lttle late.

I posted that before the article came out. :P

Also, it's Brown/Ruff handling the D together. Not Ruff by himself.

It's funny, I thought that news had been posted in this thread, so when I saw that post I figured it had to have come after, but I guess it was in the thread about the assistants.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Ah, how the other half lives. Must be nice.
The stupid part about Manhattan apartments is that after paying the mortgage, you're still on the hook for monthly maintenance costs that are higher than most people's rent or suburban mortgage

Hank made out well though, he flipped his previous apartment for a 1M profit

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The stupid part about Manhattan apartments is that after paying the mortgage, you're still on the hook for monthly maintenance costs that are higher than most people's rent or suburban mortgage

I live in Atlanta...my house here would be like a 40 million dollar mansion in NY.

I don't really love living in the south...but that's a nice perk. Property here is relatively cheap.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

honestly that's the BS part about condos in any major city.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yes and no, because I can understand paying $235 a month in Hartford for maintenance, but that same space will be $1895 per month in maintenance in Manhattan
$1895/month!?

The real estate prices in central Stockholm are actually not too far off what Quinn paid for his 2,000+ sqft loft (I immediately found a 1,900 sqft apartment for sale at $3.2M), but the monthly fee is never close to that (this particular one had a fee of $850/month).

Though the mortgage rates are crazy low in Sweden right now, I'm paying 1.04% on mine, so no wonder why the prices are through the roof...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Still a Meh vote for me and not sure if he will be successfu, but they are rebuilding so no pressure eh? :)

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
$1895/month!?

The real estate prices in central Stockholm are actually not too far off what Quinn paid for his 2,000+ sqft loft (I immediately found a 1,900 sqft apartment for sale at $3.2M), but the monthly fee is never close to that (this particular one had a fee of $850/month).

Though the mortgage rates are crazy low in Sweden right now, I'm paying 1.04% on mine, so no wonder why the prices are through the roof...
Sorry I was probably way off on the monthly cost, in reality it's probably much higher. This Chelsea loft is HALF the size of Quinn's apartment and the monthly maintenance is $2,225:
For $1.79M, a striking Chelsea loft with original columns, restored tin ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad