Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Quinn is the same as AV in many ways, but since he's a new coach, people think it's working. People think it's refreshing. At the end of the day, the impact of a coach is minimal when it comes to games. When we gave up a lead late under AV, this board would explode. When we give up a lead late under Quinn, I barely see anyone complain just yet.

Let's see what happens when the honeymoon-phase is over, so to speak

When Quinn has them turtle and blow leads all through an SCF and multiple other playoff series it’ll be even.

Theres no comparison between blowing some late leads in a handful of practically meaningless regular season games and habitually having the team do it through the first finals appearance in decades and then mutiple playoff series in years the team paid for high price players to go for a cup with. Every team will do the former over the course of the year, very few if any will do the latter

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Coaches love the whole "accountablity" thing, but they never seem to apply it to everybody. Buchnevich is in the doghouse, he gets benched. Staal plays poorly all year long and get's spoonfed minutes. It's not like there aren't guys who can take Staal's place in the lineup.

And likewise, Vesey/Spooner/Hayes etc don't produce, but continue to get heavy workload/PP time that really isn't deserved. Chytil should be on the ice each and every powerplay. What's the point of him getting 9 minutes? If that's how you're going to go with him, let him play in Hartford instead already.

the 'inconsistency' with not benching staal only applies if he is sitting guys for lack of results or performance. and thats not the case. the issue with buchnevich is his inconsistent work effort

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Quinn is the same as AV in many ways, but since he's a new coach, people think it's working. People think it's refreshing. At the end of the day, the impact of a coach is minimal when it comes to games. When we gave up a lead late under AV, this board would explode. When we give up a lead late under Quinn, I barely see anyone complain just yet.

Let's see what happens when the honeymoon-phase is over, so to speak
What honeymoon phase can there be with this roster? The fact that he is getting this team to play harder than AV every has is a miracle. And you actually see a defensive structure along with some thought of an offense besides a long stretch pass.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Coaches love the whole "accountablity" thing, but they never seem to apply it to everybody. Buchnevich is in the doghouse, he gets benched. Staal plays poorly all year long and get's spoonfed minutes. It's not like there aren't guys who can take Staal's place in the lineup.
Again, a rookie head coach is not going to take a well respected team's elder statesman and undress him on Day 1. That is just not going to happen. Staal may well be scratched, but not until around 20-25 games has gone by.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the 'inconsistency' with not benching staal only applies if he is sitting guys for lack of results or performance. and thats not the case. the issue with buchnevich is his inconsistent work effort
Exactly. People either do not get it or are purposely ignoring it. Quinn has made it pretty crystal clear what is necessary to stay in the line up.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Can't say I'm happy with what DQ has been doing with Chytil, Buch or DeAngelo. If it wasn't for McQuaid and Claesson getting injured, DeAngelo would likely still be getting scratched.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ok but his handeling of the kids is defenitly not ok, and can hurt this team a ton down the road

See, I don't know if I agree with this either.

We consider ADA a kid, but not Pionk.

We look at Chytil, but not Howden.

Chytil's been more snake bit than anything. Howden's been used, Pionk's been used. Georgiev will get his time in.

ADA I could disagree with Quinn on, but I also see a player who is stepping up to respond to what the coach asked.

I tend to get the sense that it's not so much about how Quinn handles the kids, so much as it is often about how Quinn handles the kids that some people like better.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
See, I don't know if I agree with this either.

We consider ADA a kid, but not Pionk.

We look at Chytil, but not Howden.

Chytil's been more snake bit than anything. Howden's been used, Pionk's been used. Georgiev will get his time in.

ADA I could disagree with Quinn on, but I also see a player who is stepping up to respond to what the coach asked.

I tend to get the sense that it's not so much about how Quinn handles the kids, so much as it is often about how Quinn handles the kids that some people like better.
It's nice to see Quinn giving minuets to Howden, but that doesn't make the fact he is giving Chytil under double digits of ice time ok. Quinn playing him on the 4th line is going to do nothing but just stunt his development. How is Chytil supposed to break out of an unlucky streak if Qunn doesn't give him an opportunity to?
As for Pionk and Tony Deangelo, this situation makes absolutly no sense. Pionk is not a good player yet it was Deangelo who had to wait for 2 dmen to get injured before getting any ice time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's nice to see Quinn giving minuets to Howden, but that doesn't make the fact he is giving Chytil under double digits of ice time ok. Quinn playing him on the 4th line is going to do nothing but just stunt his development. How is Chytil supposed to break out of an unlucky streak if Qunn doesn't give him an opportunity to?
As for Pionk and Tony Deangelo, this situation makes absolutly no sense. Pionk is not a good player yet it was Deangelo who had to wait for 2 dmean to get injured before getting any ice time.

Not a huge fan of giving Chytil under 10 minutes, but it should also be pointed out that the last game was the first time it's happened all season. On the average he is around 13 for the year, about the same as last year. Howden is averaging around 15. Personally, my hope is to get Chytil closer to the 14-15 mark.

If anything, I feel like the the elephant in the room is Kevin Hayes.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Not a huge fan of giving Chytil under 10 minutes, but it should also be pointed out that the last game was the first time it's happened all season. On the average he is around 13 for the year, about the same as last year. Howden is averaging around 15. Personally, my hope is to get Chytil closer to the 14-15 mark.

If anything, I feel like the the elephant in the room is Kevin Hayes.
I know a lot of people are expecting a spot for Andersson if Hayes gets dealt, but I think it’s going to be Chytil’s spot and just about anyone from the cast of who cares C/W’s on the roster now are going to be the 4C

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know a lot of people are expecting a spot for Andersson if Hayes gets dealt, but I think it’s going to be Chytil’s spot and just about anyone from the cast of who cares C/W’s on the roster now are going to be the 4C

I would think so as well. I think Chytil and Howden eat up an additional 2-3 minutes a night each and the rest is distributed elsewhere.

Ideally, I think Andersson is probably down there until the new year, unless he just gets to the point where they can't hold him back any longer.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I would think so as well. I think Chytil and Howden eat up an additional 2-3 minutes a night each and the rest is distributed elsewhere.

Ideally, I think Andersson is probably down there until the new year, unless he just gets to the point where they can't hold him back any longer.
It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s down there longer than that, especially if they’re trying to make him more comfortable in being a go-to offensive threat

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
That wouldn't piss me off at all. We need to give minutes to players that will be here long term, I would sacrifice some value in this trades in favor of Chytil and Howden's development.

I don't see any scenario other than Zibanejad dying of Hayes staying with the Rangers.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know--I don't think ADA is more a kid than Pionk. They're the same age. ADA has more NHL games but he's been a pro longer because he went the CHL route and not the college route.

On the Quinn Rangers--they're short on talent and some of their more talented players are kind of raw. I'm not expecting big things or at least not right away. Maybe they start picking up steam and winning more games as the season goes along but they've always been a very long shot for the playoffs. That said you want to see them doing their best to get there--to set high goals and try to meet them. I have issues with certain players like Spooner and Buchnevich right now who aren't pulling their weight for the talent they have. Buch is a lot younger though so allowances should be made but he's not looking like he's taking a step this year. He looks a lot like last year--maybe even regressed a little.

But Quinn wants them working hard---he's got standards he wants them to play to. He wants them to push back when pushed and to me the team has done that. He's scratched players and not just kids when he thinks they're underperforming or not getting the message of how he wants them to play.

The scratches so far--Shattenkirk--1 game, Pionk--2 games, Buchnevich--2 games, McQuaid--2 games, Namestnikov--1 game, Spooner--1 game, Claesson--3 games, Lettieri--4 games, McLeod--5 games and DeAngelo--8 games. The only player I might argue with him on here is DeAngelo being scratched that many.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
That wouldn't piss me off at all. We need to give minutes to players that will be here long term, I would sacrifice some value in this trades in favor of Chytil and Howden's development.

I don't see any scenario other than Zibanejad dying of Hayes staying with the Rangers.
This started out as a short reply but turned into a rambley thing of most of my thoughts about management and Quinn’s decisions so far

I think Chytil and Andersson are in the right places to round out their respective games, Andersson can get comfortable being ‘the guy’ for an extended amount of time and Chytil (right now) can get acclimated to the pace of the NHL and get his brain up to speed. A lot of fans want to see the points from Chytil but I don’t feel like the powers that be are necessarily using that as the first thing to evaluate his progress.

I think management has done its part for the rebuild in providing a poor roster, but also with enough real NHLers for the kids to learn from and to also make the kids earn their spots/ice time. And Quinn is doing what coaches do which is trying to win games and make younger players prove to him that they should be a big part of winning those games. While I don’t exactly love Chytil being on the 4th line or Buchnevich getting scratched or DeAngelo just not playing, Quinn’s first thought for game decisions is always going to be ‘what do I need to do to this roster to get a win.’ I think Quinn’s biggest adjustment to the NHL (for this season specifically) is going to be realizing that unlike college, he’s going to have a lot less practice time for developing most of these kids and it’s going to have to start bleeding into in game situations more regularly, but that could also come naturally when the Rangers start selling off some guys.

Reactions: Fvital92

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Quinn is doing a wonderful job, everyone complained about our system, well that's being fixed.
Everyone complained about work ethic, hes working on that and last night was a huge step. I finally saw Kreider skate back with a purpose.
Everyone complained nobody was accountable, hes sat veterans, young guys, rookies...everyone and anyone.
The guy is running this perfectly,he unfortunately has a mediocre roster.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
This started out as a short reply but turned into a rambley thing of most of my thoughts about management and Quinn’s decisions so far

I think Chytil and Andersson are in the right places to round out their respective games, Andersson can get comfortable being ‘the guy’ for an extended amount of time and Chytil (right now) can get acclimated to the pace of the NHL and get his brain up to speed. A lot of fans want to see the points from Chytil but I don’t feel like the powers that be are necessarily using that as the first thing to evaluate his progress.

I think management has done its part for the rebuild in providing a poor roster, but also with enough real NHLers for the kids to learn from and to also make the kids earn their spots/ice time. And Quinn is doing what coaches do which is trying to win games and make younger players prove to him that they should be a big part of winning those games. While I don’t exactly love Chytil being on the 4th line or Buchnevich getting scratched or DeAngelo just not playing, Quinn’s first thought for game decisions is always going to be ‘what do I need to do to this roster to get a win.’ I think Quinn’s biggest adjustment to the NHL (for this season specifically) is going to be realizing that unlike college, he’s going to have a lot less practice time for developing most of these kids and it’s going to have to start bleeding into in game situations more regularly, but that could also come naturally when the Rangers start selling off some guys.
I agree with almost everything you said. I'm not in favor of giving top 6 spots for the kids, but I think that they should get 3rd line minutes at the very least. I think management miscalculated a little, they thought they would trade Namestnikov and Spooner by last draft, when that didn't happen we found ourselves overloaded with low end veterans that are not suited for 4th line minutes. Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, Zuccarello and even Vesey and Fast are obviously more NHL ready, and better than the kids atm, and are eating valuable minutes that should have been given for Chytil, Howden and Lias because Quinn, as any coach would, even more a rookie coach, is playing for the win.
That is my only problem with our rebuild plan and it's why I'm in favor to trade at least 2 of those players as soon as possible.

Edit: And

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Quinn is doing a wonderful job, everyone complained about our system, well that's being fixed.
Everyone complained about work ethic, hes working on that and last night was a huge step. I finally saw Kreider skate back with a purpose.
Everyone complained nobody was accountable, hes sat veterans, young guys, rookies...everyone and anyone.
The guy is running this perfectly,he unfortunately has a mediocre roster.
Edit: grammatical error(s).
The only thing that matters around here are playing the kids regardless of their performances. I do have a problem when people say,”If player X was not on the 4th line, he would flourish!”

Why? That particular player is playing at the NHL level. Quinn is essentially telling them to man up and make the most of your chances.

I would rather a coach who emphasizes effort than allowing exceptions due to potential, youth, and inexperience.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In a transition year you're not gonna play all kids...the vets are there to buy the kids time. Other than DeAngelo...who we don't know the full story on...I think Quinn's been terrific.
Loved his statement when he said about just handing kids playing time leads to feelings of entitlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad