Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Carp article on The Athletic on Quinn: 'My job’s not to tell them what to do. My job’s to get...

“I’ve said this a lot: My job’s not to tell them what to do. My job’s to get them to do it. Every coach is telling their team they want to play fast. But our job is to get them to do it. To me, that’s coaching, getting them to do it. To me, it’s about how quickly do you go from one play to the next.”

“And things are going to go poorly,” Quinn said. “When things go poorly you can’t be, like, ‘Ah, this doesn’t work.’ You’ve got to be patient. You’ve got to work through some highs and lows. You just have to. You’ve got to stay even-keeled in those moments.”

Last edited:
Reactions: RGY

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If we are legit fast, relentless, and physical, and it's a true meritocracy...I could not care less how many games we win...that alone would make me tune in on the edge of my seat for 82 games...it's been so long since that's been true of this squad.

x2 but we also need to remember that we have a very, very AV roster.

Relentless and Physical are two traits that his teams did not have.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Some thoughts on Quinn..

The tldr is gonna be I'm very very happy thus far.

First. I like the system. You can see the obvious attenot at creating layers between the puck carrier and the high danger areas...also you can see the obvious shoot the puck and get bodies to the net mentaltiy more and more as games go by.

I think it's clear he's holding players accountable, which I absolutely love. You've seen it's impact already in guys like namestnikov, and honestly buchnevich whose played fantastic the last game...and seems to be on an upward trajectory.

It's early, it's still a work in progress but I'm thrilled at what Quinn has done so far.
.we haven't gotten wins yet, but it seems like it's more a talent and luck thing than anything else.

Some food for thought...the rangers are 3rd....3rd! In the nhl in xgf\60....3rd!

Defensively they are much worse at 25th in the nhl...

Some food for thought...last year, having guys like mcd, Nash, Miller, etc etc for most of the year the rangers were 8th in xgf\60 and dead last in xga.

Every game the rangers are getting better and better.

Are the perfect? No.

Are they lacking talent? Yep!

But are they doing the things they need to do to be successful in the long term? Yep...and it's getting better daily.

David Quinn, so far, has been excellent.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Some thoughts on Quinn..

The tldr is gonna be I'm very very happy thus far.

First. I like the system. You can see the obvious attenot at creating layers between the puck carrier and the high danger areas...also you can see the obvious shoot the puck and get bodies to the net mentaltiy more and more as games go by.

I think it's clear he's holding players accountable, which I absolutely love. You've seen it's impact already in guys like namestnikov, and honestly buchnevich whose played fantastic the last game...and seems to be on an upward trajectory.

It's early, it's still a work in progress but I'm thrilled at what Quinn has done so far.
.we haven't gotten wins yet, but it seems like it's more a talent and luck thing than anything else.

Some food for thought...the rangers are 3rd....3rd! In the nhl in xgf\60....3rd!

Defensively they are much worse at 25th in the nhl...

Some food for thought...last year, having guys like mcd, Nash, Miller, etc etc for most of the year the rangers were 8th in xgf\60 and dead last in xga.

Every game the rangers are getting better and better.

Are the perfect? No.

Are they lacking talent? Yep!

But are they doing the things they need to do to be successful in the long term? Yep...and it's getting better daily.

I mean, look at the lack of talent they have on the backend (yes, I know forwards help defensively too)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

They are mostly doing those things. And when they don't, they are scratched or benched.

Will give Quinn thumbs up so far.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Remember when Tortorella said something like that the players are getting too much coaching these days that you should just let them play?

Is Quinn now "overcoaching" players?

Spooner 1 point in 9 games
Namestnikov 1 point in 9 games
Chytil 2 points in 10 games
Hayes 3 points in 10 games (contract UFA season)
Vesey 3 points in 10 games
Shattenkirk 2 points in 9 games
ADA played only 2 games
McLeod only 1 fight in 5 games
Fast playing top line
Buchnevich in the doghouse
Lettieri 0 points in 7 games

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This roster is so bad it’s actually kind of amazing. I wouldn’t begin to speculate how DQ would do with any of the rosters AV had, but man, the poor guy’s really got his work cut out for him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Remember when Tortorella said something like that the players are getting too much coaching these days that you should just let them play?

ADA played only 2 games
Fast playing top line

:laugh:

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Love the dude. Doing as well as could be reasonably expected. Seems honest, direct, and painfully clear. Team plays harder and skates harder than it has since that first half of that one really good Torts year.

Some good % of this board is only happy if their golden children are getting 2nd line+ or 2nd pairing+ ice time and is on razors edge ready to squawk about what seems to be the first good development coach since Roger Nielsen (thats over 25 years). Looking forward to what he can do with a real roster in the next few years.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Love the dude. Doing as well as could be reasonably expected. Seems honest, direct, and painfully clear. Team plays harder and skates harder than it has since that first half of that one really good Torts year.

Some good % of this board is only happy if their golden children are getting 2nd line+ or 2nd pairing+ ice time and is on razors edge ready to squawk about what seems to be the first good development coach since Roger Nielsen (thats over 25 years). Looking forward to what he can do with a real roster in the next few years.

Disciplined, demanding, youth-friendly meritocracy. Love it.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

ADA played only 2 games
Fast playing top line

Wasn’t “just let them play” AV’s approach? Our problem is a lack of talent / at least two game-breaking players. Good things will happen once we get them (though it’s esdier said than done).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

ADA played only 2 games
Fast playing top line

Every one of those guys is being overslotted thanks to the lack of first line/pair talent on this team. Don't be surprised if they all have career worst numbers this year.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Wasn’t “just let them play” AV’s approach? Our problem is a lack of talent / at least two game-breaking players. Good things will happen once we get them (though it’s esdier said than done).

AV was just let them play too, but sort of laid back and emotionless
Tortorella was just let them play (as long as they play hard, block shots and don't take penalties), but very emotional angry psychopath

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
AV was just let them play too, but sort of laid back and emotionless
Tortorella was just let them play (as long as they play hard, block shots and don't take penalties), but very emotional angry psychopath

That’s ineteresting. He always struck me as rigid and stubborn, but there’s a difference between playing style and personality, I suppose.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Starting to hate this constant line juggling. At this frequency it soon will become counterproductive as the players will eventually grow tired of it. I understand Quinn is trying to find a perfect match but let things be for 5-7 games at least. Also, what Vesey has done to earn a spot on the first line? Ditto for Spooner on second?

Reactions: Nickmo82

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Coaches love the whole "accountablity" thing, but they never seem to apply it to everybody. Buchnevich is in the doghouse, he gets benched. Staal plays poorly all year long and get's spoonfed minutes. It's not like there aren't guys who can take Staal's place in the lineup.

And likewise, Vesey/Spooner/Hayes etc don't produce, but continue to get heavy workload/PP time that really isn't deserved. Chytil should be on the ice each and every powerplay. What's the point of him getting 9 minutes? If that's how you're going to go with him, let him play in Hartford instead already.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Starting to hate this constant line juggling. At this frequency it soon will become counterproductive as the players will eventually grow tired of it. I understand Quinn is trying to find a perfect match but let things be for 5-7 games at least. Also, what Vesey has done to earn a spot on the first line? Ditto for Spooner on second?

Quinn is the same as AV in many ways, but since he's a new coach, people think it's working. People think it's refreshing. At the end of the day, the impact of a coach is minimal when it comes to games. When we gave up a lead late under AV, this board would explode. When we give up a lead late under Quinn, I barely see anyone complain just yet.

Let's see what happens when the honeymoon-phase is over, so to speak

Reactions: Off Sides

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Quinn is the same as AV in many ways, but since he's a new coach, people think it's working. People think it's refreshing. At the end of the day, the impact of a coach is minimal when it comes to games. When we gave up a lead late under AV, this board would explode. When we give up a lead late under Quinn, I barely see anyone complain just yet.

Let's see what happens when the honeymoon-phase is over, so to speak

Perhaps, when you are ready to pass judgement, you’ll consider Quinn has been handed the worst Ranger roster in a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad