Player Discussion David Pastrnak XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
after nine games played this year.. pastrnak first in league scoring {despite all the press that McDavid is like on pace for 160 points... or that Carlson has the most points after 10 games for any dman except coffey}

dont want to take too much away from these guys... but where is the love for pastrnak? 10 goals in 9 games {with game I still half to play} despite the cheap call back on 1 of his goals {didnt stop the fact he beat the goalie}

I heard someone that other day said he might be a threat to score 40 lol... lol... ok seriously lol

if thats what counts as giving pastrnak his props... lol

bothered me when the fans turned on him during the playoffs last year. we can all wish he didnt hurt himself partying... but he was hurt. the reason he didnt tear the league apart down the stretch and in the playoffs is he was hurt.

Bergeron was hurt… and is very likely hurt now too... hes still better than most guys so hes playing, but when someone plays hurt we should be more forgiving.

pastrank healthy... is a hell of a player

pastrnak and marchand when healthy outscore Matthews and marner... outscore mackinnon and raantanen and yes... when healthy they even outscore McDavid and drasailt

we have a hell of a good thing here people... dont give management any excuse to trade him off like we did thornton/kessel/seguin/wheeler

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Wow ... thanks. What I understood was... you are saying that a segment of fans in Boston have the power to run high end talent out of town??? Is that right or I'm too dumb to understand?

you probably werent around for Hamilton, kessel, thornton… dont sweat it... I have to try to remember not everyone follows the team as closely as I do

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
you probably werent around for Hamilton, kessel, thornton… dont sweat it... I have to try to remember not everyone follows the team as closely as I do
You have a month and half on me, on the official date .
You probably like me, lurked a few years before joining.
So, yes I was around, and I'm aware of the fan base.
My point is still valid.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You have a month and half on me, on the official date .
You probably like me, lurked a few years before joining.
So, yes I was around, and I'm aware of the fan base.
My point is still valid.

sadly this name has this date as a join... i was the bruin writer for the site when it started up around 15 years ago and used to use my real name for posting since I was doing interviews with the players and had a thought I might make a job of it.

I asked one of the mods a few years ago to properly adjust the start date but its a huge problem and i didnt see the need once I learnt its a huge problem

not that being around longer necessarily makes anyone smarter... gives us more chances to be wrong. but as far as members on this site, dkh was the only one around when i showed up that I still see posting here to this day. was maybe around 10-12 very active posters in that time that I wish were still here. my apologies if any of them changed their names and are still here and I just dont remember them.

pretty sure shane walsh doesnt still post... he was our original moderator at that time... meisterbruin was one of the better posters... a guy by the name of gary was always so positive and ended his posts with a cheer... I stole that idea from him after he disappeared...

in those days I think there was probably at least 5-6 other competing forums where people were spending their time... as the next few years rolled by those other places died off and we picked up their better posters here {and their worst posters too}

I miss those days we were a small little family here... but for the sake of the owners here who im sure wanted to make more money with traffic and advertising, I am happy for their success.

these days... sadly I cant keep track of anyone. theres like 3-4 posters who delight in playing internet bully and like to try to take shots at me... I keep them in target for when they need to be slapped. dom has become one of my absolute favorites to read. dkh of course... he was the guy that made me feel welcome here... respect wally and fenway so much for the work they do... but the problem with these lists is you leave 100 people off that deserve some mention.

basically if I respond to someone it means I think they have made a worthwhile post {unless I take the time in my response to say how worthless their contribution was imo} or unless they tried to attack me or misrepresent me... im proud of my legacy here and do like to defend it

Reactions: Estlin and sarge88

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Starting to think that it's no longer Marchand - Bergeron that is the dominant duo, but Marchand and Pastrnak

I think its probably marchand...

weve seen marchand have success without bergeron
without pastrnak
hell... he was looking great with riley nash not too long ago

Bergeron has some injuries... so hard to fault him for his cold streaks but theres no doubt he became a scoring success when marchand became one

as for pastrnak... so much talent... but i think hes getting a gretzky bump from marchand. when pastrnak is with other people his offense drops alot

still... very very very talented... and thank god we dont have to worry about life without marchand now. as a combo Bergeron/marchand have a chemistry to rival any 2 guys ive seen in history. that chemistry makes up for the raw talent advantage pastrnak has.

but one idea for line combo depth I toyed with over the last couple years... put marchand/pastrnak with any slob that can play defense for them {think how riley nash did the job}

and then put Bergeron as the shooter on a line with krejci as the playmaker. these 2 have had small sample size together in the past and looked good together.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
sadly this name has this date as a join... i was the bruin writer for the site when it started up around 15 years ago and used to use my real name for posting since I was doing interviews with the players and had a thought I might make a job of it.

I asked one of the mods a few years ago to properly adjust the start date but its a huge problem and i didnt see the need once I learnt its a huge problem

not that being around longer necessarily makes anyone smarter... gives us more chances to be wrong. but as far as members on this site, dkh was the only one around when i showed up that I still see posting here to this day. was maybe around 10-12 very active posters in that time that I wish were still here. my apologies if any of them changed their names and are still here and I just dont remember them.

pretty sure shane walsh doesnt still post... he was our original moderator at that time... meisterbruin was one of the better posters... a guy by the name of gary was always so positive and ended his posts with a cheer... I stole that idea from him after he disappeared...

in those days I think there was probably at least 5-6 other competing forums where people were spending their time... as the next few years rolled by those other places died off and we picked up their better posters here {and their worst posters too}

I miss those days we were a small little family here... but for the sake of the owners here who im sure wanted to make more money with traffic and advertising, I am happy for their success.

these days... sadly I cant keep track of anyone. theres like 3-4 posters who delight in playing internet bully and like to try to take shots at me... I keep them in target for when they need to be slapped. dom has become one of my absolute favorites to read. dkh of course... he was the guy that made me feel welcome here... respect wally and fenway so much for the work they do... but the problem with these lists is you leave 100 people off that deserve some mention.

basically if I respond to someone it means I think they have made a worthwhile post {unless I take the time in my response to say how worthless their contribution was imo} or unless they tried to attack me or misrepresent me... im proud of my legacy here and do like to defend it

Michael you dont have to defend your longevity here to anyone.
Im guessing youve been contributing here closer to 20 years now than 15.

:thumbu:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I have a better memory of some people that were here 10 years ago than I do some current regulars.

Could be simply a volume issue, but I swear I could be arguing vehemently with someone on Tuesday and liking something they post on Wednesday a.m. and not even realize it’s the same poster.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I think we may have a 50 goal scorer this year, something we haven't had in a long time...

This is a good read:
https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-50-goal-scorers/

Throughout the 95-year history of the Boston Bruins franchise, there have been 11 different instances of a player reaching the 50-goal mark. Those 11 instances of 50-plus goals are made up of five different players who will forever live in Bruins’ history as legends. Interestingly enough, the 11 different 50-plus goals seasons all came within a span of 24 years between 1970 and 1994 without any player in Bruins’ history reaching the 50-goal mark prior to the 1970-71 season or since the 1993-94 season.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I think we may have a 50 goal scorer this year, something we haven't had in a long time...

This is a good read:
https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-50-goal-scorers/

Throughout the 95-year history of the Boston Bruins franchise, there have been 11 different instances of a player reaching the 50-goal mark. Those 11 instances of 50-plus goals are made up of five different players who will forever live in Bruins’ history as legends. Interestingly enough, the 11 different 50-plus goals seasons all came within a span of 24 years between 1970 and 1994 without any player in Bruins’ history reaching the 50-goal mark prior to the 1970-71 season or since the 1993-94 season.
"Perhaps the most impressive feat that Neely accomplished in the NHL came during the 1993-94 season when he’d score 50 goals in 44 games."

I remember this and it was just insane to watch. :eek2:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I have a better memory of some people that were here 10 years ago than I do some current regulars.

Could be simply a volume issue, but I swear I could be arguing vehemently with someone on Tuesday and liking something they post on Wednesday a.m. and not even realize it’s the same poster.

one of the first ever stupid things I did... I would read every post during the week... then I would summarize and recap the message... id even award poster of the week...

I had this idea of keeping things friendly here... family...

I look at a typical day of posting now... and my brain breaks at the thought of trying to summarize it all. I am happy for the owners here with the help of the mods... growing this thing into such a monster success. but I will always feel a sense of loss that you all cant see just how sweet a little paradise we had here at one time

if I get snarky... and if I throw some elbows at a few posters here that seem to feel entitled to judge and jury here... I guess its because we opened our arms and welcomed 'you guys' when you sought refugee here... and now its not the spirit to turn this into a place of intolerance for you to act too high and mighty.

I know I had some fun with this smartest guy in the room garbage lol... but for the new comers here it wasnt me that coined that phrase. a few of the wannabe fake mods here started to take their shots at me and I saw them running off too many of my friends... so I figured what the hell? im so egomaniac it doest bother me in the slightest what insult a keyboard warrior will toss my way.

one of my favorite sayings is dont roll in the mud with pigs... you get filthy but the pig has fun. well... oink oink… I fully realize im the pig

still... I ache for the innocence of lost times.

its a bit off topic now... this trip down memory lane started when I wanted to caution against creating bad vibes against pastrnak. maybe I was a bit obtuse how I explained myself there

younger fans might not remember how thorntons last days in boston were a misery following his poor playoff showing. our top writer in the city, kevin paul dupont lit thornton up in the papers... and he wasnt the only one, but hes the one I read.

then... the tide turned here in hf. it was still a small place then so I dont blame hf for running thornton out of town... but it was a symptom of a larger problem.

this whole city was turning on thornton… not just him... Andrew raycroft was our union rep during the labor negotiations... and a close buddy of thornton… nick Boynton was part of this clique and he was going through injuries. he has said he felt very unloved for his struggles here. glen murray was drawing a lot of critism… another buddy...

so thornton basically quit on the team... when he left he left and said he loved the low preasure situation in san jose.

later phil kessel reportedly didnt take an equal contract here. he seemed to be upset about the cancer/drinking crap that went on... the critism he was recieving from press and media...

seguin basically became tradable after a pr campaign. before he was traded we heard he was missing curfews... needed a babysitter... was being criticized for the friends he hang out with... I said when I saw these rumors he was going to be dealt. everyone told me he wasnt going to be shopped... perhaps other teams might ask... but in no way was he being shopped.

of course we see in behind the b's... he was being shopped and there was some pr work being done to 'sell' it to the fans

dougie Hamilton... butchered on his way out of town... but remember we offered him a deal. Hamilton is one hell of a smart kid and he saw the critism headed his way. he didnt want to be a soft dman in boston and be the whipping boy here the rest of his career.

our media/fan base eats these type of players for breakfest.

unless you play with a punctured lung... a broken ankle... unless you work your butt off defensively every shift... take the opportunities to hit hit hit hit… then you start getting labled soft... the skids out of town start getting greased

Ritchie is a new whipping boy... mostly because hes not fighting or crushing everything that moves

krug has been a hot button his entire career... mostly because of his size

Heinen gets more heated debate in his discussion then anyone now... and mostly because hes not physical... plays a quiet style of defense

in the playoffs last year a lot of people said that the blues physicality shut down pastrnak... that he was too timid to play through it. he also got a lot of jokes made how he got injured in the first place... and if memory serves his name was thrown into the supposed 3 way sex joke with that announcer girl...

it was a tough year pr wise for pastrnak... and its the first crack in the armour. I just wanted to put a spotlight on it that we have to stop it in the tracks. this guy is too good to lose over this stupid obsession we have that theres no room for a strictly talented guy on the team.

its a 20 man roster each night... its ok to have at least 1 guy that just is there to score goals.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
one of the first ever stupid things I did... I would read every post during the week... then I would summarize and recap the message... id even award poster of the week...

I had this idea of keeping things friendly here... family...

I look at a typical day of posting now... and my brain breaks at the thought of trying to summarize it all. I am happy for the owners here with the help of the mods... growing this thing into such a monster success. but I will always feel a sense of loss that you all cant see just how sweet a little paradise we had here at one time

if I get snarky... and if I throw some elbows at a few posters here that seem to feel entitled to judge and jury here... I guess its because we opened our arms and welcomed 'you guys' when you sought refugee here... and now its not the spirit to turn this into a place of intolerance for you to act too high and mighty.

I know I had some fun with this smartest guy in the room garbage lol... but for the new comers here it wasnt me that coined that phrase. a few of the wannabe fake mods here started to take their shots at me and I saw them running off too many of my friends... so I figured what the hell? im so egomaniac it doest bother me in the slightest what insult a keyboard warrior will toss my way.

one of my favorite sayings is dont roll in the mud with pigs... you get filthy but the pig has fun. well... oink oink… I fully realize im the pig

still... I ache for the innocence of lost times.

its a bit off topic now... this trip down memory lane started when I wanted to caution against creating bad vibes against pastrnak. maybe I was a bit obtuse how I explained myself there

younger fans might not remember how thorntons last days in boston were a misery following his poor playoff showing. our top writer in the city, kevin paul dupont lit thornton up in the papers... and he wasnt the only one, but hes the one I read.

then... the tide turned here in hf. it was still a small place then so I dont blame hf for running thornton out of town... but it was a symptom of a larger problem.

this whole city was turning on thornton… not just him... Andrew raycroft was our union rep during the labor negotiations... and a close buddy of thornton… nick Boynton was part of this clique and he was going through injuries. he has said he felt very unloved for his struggles here. glen murray was drawing a lot of critism… another buddy...

so thornton basically quit on the team... when he left he left and said he loved the low preasure situation in san jose.

later phil kessel reportedly didnt take an equal contract here. he seemed to be upset about the cancer/drinking crap that went on... the critism he was recieving from press and media...

seguin basically became tradable after a pr campaign. before he was traded we heard he was missing curfews... needed a babysitter... was being criticized for the friends he hang out with... I said when I saw these rumors he was going to be dealt. everyone told me he wasnt going to be shopped... perhaps other teams might ask... but in no way was he being shopped.

of course we see in behind the b's... he was being shopped and there was some pr work being done to 'sell' it to the fans

dougie Hamilton... butchered on his way out of town... but remember we offered him a deal. Hamilton is one hell of a smart kid and he saw the critism headed his way. he didnt want to be a soft dman in boston and be the whipping boy here the rest of his career.

our media/fan base eats these type of players for breakfest.

unless you play with a punctured lung... a broken ankle... unless you work your butt off defensively every shift... take the opportunities to hit hit hit hit… then you start getting labled soft... the skids out of town start getting greased

Ritchie is a new whipping boy... mostly because hes not fighting or crushing everything that moves

krug has been a hot button his entire career... mostly because of his size

Heinen gets more heated debate in his discussion then anyone now... and mostly because hes not physical... plays a quiet style of defense

in the playoffs last year a lot of people said that the blues physicality shut down pastrnak... that he was too timid to play through it. he also got a lot of jokes made how he got injured in the first place... and if memory serves his name was thrown into the supposed 3 way sex joke with that announcer girl...

it was a tough year pr wise for pastrnak... and its the first crack in the armour. I just wanted to put a spotlight on it that we have to stop it in the tracks. this guy is too good to lose over this stupid obsession we have that theres no room for a strictly talented guy on the team.

its a 20 man roster each night... its ok to have at least 1 guy that just is there to score goals.

I’m guilty of some of those things. Typically, I want a Bruin to be one of two things...if they can’t be both. Tough (classical sense, not the 2019 - everyone is tough sense) or 2. productive...meaning G-A-P.

I felt bad for Thornton, IIRC he played with cracked or bruised ribs in the playoffs and still got lambasted.

Seguin....no problem with moving him, although I was a fan of his, just still can’t believe they didn’t do a better job with the return.

Hamilton, I have no love for. I get it, sometimes it not in a players nature to crush people every shift, but on the 1-10 toughness meter, you don’t need to be a “2” either.

I hope that Pasta isn’t next and I don’t think he will be, but I get your overarching point that it starts small and before you know it a talented guy seems to be out the door in the blink of an eye.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Starting to think that it's no longer Marchand - Bergeron that is the dominant duo, but Marchand and Pastrnak
Pasta is our most impactful player. When he steps on the ice we can at any given moment score a goal or give a goal. :naughty:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If i'm Bruce I'm tossing Pastrnak on the ice up 4-2 with an empty net every day of the week. I want to see this guy pot 50.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The main thing Pasta needs to improve offensively to join the really elite shooters is his even-strength scoring. Of course this is a problem for the Bruins as a whole but the next step in his game is to take the lead in that regard and find the back of the net more often 5v5.

Last season Pasta scored 45% of his goals on the PP, and this year he's tracking at 50%. For 2018-19, the PP goal percentage for other top players was as follows:

Ovechkin 35%
Kucherov 37%
McDavid 22%
Draisaitl 32%
Tavares 21%
Stamkos 42%
Patrick Kane 20%

If he can maintain his current excellent strike rate and drop that PP percentage down to the 30s then he'll be absolutely devastating. I think he'll get there - he's far from the finished article yet and I think he has the desire to get there.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
"Perhaps the most impressive feat that Neely accomplished in the NHL came during the 1993-94 season when he’d score 50 goals in 44 games."

I remember this and it was just insane to watch. :eek2:

I remember that season I picked Cam with the last over-all pick in our Fantasy Hockey Draft... If you remember - he had been injured the season before, and there was a question as to whether or not he'd even play that season.

I figured "what the hell... why not?"

Clearly the best pick I've ever made (like... In anything)

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
in pastraks last 82 regular season games... 52 goals/52 assists... 104 points

marchand 39-63 for 102 points

Bergeron 37-57-94 and we know his defense...

anyone that didnt know this team was best in hockey... doesnt know anything

thats 128 goals or better than 1.5 a game... holycrap

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
on leafs hockey central today... anthony stewart asks does john Carlson win player of the month?

jeff marek says how many games does connor McDavid have left lol

ok... couple good players having good seasons no doubt...

pastrnak has more goals... more points per game... and absolutely no mention

for the record looks like connor has 4 games left... captals 2... and bruins only 3

I suppose individual honors arent too important, but im reminded how pastrnak never sees the ice with the goalie pulled... it does annoy me when hes having the best start to the season of any player in the league right now and cant even get honorable mention for player of the month award.

{for those interested... capitals are playing Edmonton tonight... if you care about this issue lets all hope for another low scoring affair where these 2 guys get shutout}

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I remember that season I picked Cam with the last over-all pick in our Fantasy Hockey Draft... If you remember - he had been injured the season before, and there was a question as to whether or not he'd even play that season.

I figured "what the hell... why not?"

Clearly the best pick I've ever made (like... In anything)

Yes, that made it even more incredible doing it while battling serious injury. I dont think we will see anything like that ever again. Very special Bruins moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille