Injury Report: David Dziurzynski Concussed

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just saw the replay again (thanks for the link, Ski).

Frigging stage fighting. Stupid. Useless. Unnecessary.

Can't wait until the league finally outlaws it. I'm all for fighting, GOOD fighting. Two guys who in the heat of the moment drop'em? Someone cheap-shots a player and someone else comes in to get some cowboy justice? That's good hockey.

These stupid fights 26 seconds into a game, this "Hey, y'wanna go?" cordial, each guy takes off their helmet and lets the other guy prepare, pre-meditated BS... frigging makes me shake my head.

Yep. Agree 100%.

But as long as the dinosaurs and Don Cherry fans are still around, it's gonna happen.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, I'm sure when you all saw DD and FM drop the gloves and circle you immediately rolled your eyes and whined about it being a stage fight. Heck, some of you probably turned the channel even!

You were all up on the edge of your seat enthralled with it.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Colton Orr was knocked out by Derrik England

it took him a whole season to get back in the NHL

he came back and fought England the first time they were on the ice together

personaly i think any fighter can get knocked out

the kid was just unlucky that it was his first NHL fight

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm sure when you all saw DD and FM drop the gloves and circle you immediately rolled your eyes and whined about it being a stage fight. Heck, some of you probably turned the channel even!

Nope.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008

Listen son, just because you were feeling so, it does not mean that everyone who was watching the game shared your sentiments.

Personally I thought it was a waste of time - at best, it would be break even for Senators, and at worse it would give the Leafs momentum, which it was exactly what happened.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007

26 seconds into a game? A game that nothing has happened? Nope

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I heard the whistle and I was like oh nice a fight to set the tone. Camera pans over and I said "Wtf the is DD doing fighting Maclaren, this is going to be bad." Sure enough it ended badly.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I heard the whistle and I was like oh nice a fight to set the tone. Camera pans over and I said "Wtf the is DD doing fighting Maclaren, this is going to be bad." Sure enough it ended badly.

That was my exact reaction also... I told my buddy before they started punching that DD had balls for picking Mclaren as his first fight, didn't think it would end so badly, but i also knew DD wasn't winning that fight either..

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yep. Agree 100%.

But as long as the dinosaurs and Don Cherry fans are still around, it's gonna happen.

Pretty sure i heard cherry say he doesn't like staged fighting, and prefers when players are actually mad at each other. :dunno:

Derek Synak

Mar 14, 2009
Mistake by the Lake
Too bad the kid hurt, never like to see that........Staged fights are part of the game, it sets the tone and often has a positive effect on the team with the winner.

Hope DD gets well soon.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I hate when people criticize fighting, but get excited when it happens.

My dad says "fighting in hockey is so stupid and barbaric! look at football, they can play physical and yet don't start fighting each other"

Yet he's the first to drop what he's doing and run to the TV when i yell "fight!". He runs quicker to make sure he sees the fight, then the replay of a goal, yet will look at me and say "isn't fighting stupid?"

I Don't know if people realize the NHL is for entertainment purposes and as NHL10,11,12,13 all say "more people come to watch the fights, then stay away because of them" and "hockey is the best sport in the world, because once theyre done dropping the gloves, the actual play continues" ...it's like a bonus feature that hockey has that draws viewers.

Don't get me wrong...staged fights are never as good as heated fights...that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining.

I was all excited when i saw sticks and gloves go flying. I'm sure i'm not alone.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Too bad the kid hurt, never like to see that........Staged fights are part of the game, it sets the tone and often has a positive effect on the team with the winner.

Hope DD gets well soon.

Staged fights are definitely a big part of the the Leafs game plan this year, evidently for the reasons you mention.

Nick Kypreos just said they are the main reason that the Leafs have improved this year and that yesterdays fight, even though it was a heavyweight knocking out a rookie, will make the Leafs feel 2 feet taller for their next game.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm not coming in to start anything , because i like most of your players, your coach and am the first Leaf fan to admit that you guys have a bright future.

I just cant stand what some of your players and Mclean said about the fight. Attacking our players saying they only play 2-3 mins a night? comeon. Sure they bring a physical element, but they have been playing a regular shift all year. And both (Orr and Mclaren) have chipped in offensively.

Again not starting something, and didn't want to just post a whining thread in the Toronto Forum.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
At least Neil neutralized Orr or the night could have been worse. A few minutes after the DD / FM fight, Orr was acting like an idiot going after Greening along the boards and Neil went right at him. Neil held his own and got in a few of good close in shots to Orr's head. Neil is not a knockout puncher but he can take a punch, he's strong and he hurts. He's at his best when he keeps it going longer and he keeps the fight in tight. Orr was very quiet after that.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
McLaren won't get suspended for this, but you can bet that he will be under very close scrutiny from Player Safety for a while. If he messes up, you can expect a fairly stiff suspension, perhaps more harsh than what another "first time" offender might get. Essentially, he broke "the code" last night, challenging a non-fighter to a scrap. If you want to challenge Neil, fair enough, but Dziurzynski, a guy with zero rep or history? Please. It was hard to prove instigator from the tape, but Shanahan and crew no doubt heard the chatter about McLaren challenging him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
McLaren won't get suspended for this, but you can bet that he will be under very close scrutiny from Player Safety for a while. If he messes up, you can expect a fairly stiff suspension, perhaps more harsh than what another "first time" offender might get. Essentially, he broke "the code" last night, challenging a non-fighter to a scrap. If you want to challenge Neil, fair enough, but Dziurzynski, a guy with zero rep or history? Please. It was hard to prove instigator from the tape, but Shanahan and crew no doubt heard the chatter about McLaren challenging him.

McLaren did nothing wrong, Dziurzynski could always have refused.

Kinda feel bad for him, he's trying to prove that he can ccarve out a niche in the NHL, but he has to pick his spots better. Showed some guts though.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Just saw the replay again (thanks for the link, Ski).

Frigging stage fighting. Stupid. Useless. Unnecessary.

Can't wait until the league finally outlaws it. I'm all for fighting, GOOD fighting. Two guys who in the heat of the moment drop'em? Someone cheap-shots a player and someone else comes in to get some cowboy justice? That's good hockey.

These stupid fights 26 seconds into a game, this "Hey, y'wanna go?" cordial, each guy takes off their helmet and lets the other guy prepare, pre-meditated BS... frigging makes me shake my head.

Agreed. I know in junior they limited the max # of fights (afterwhich fines accrue) to 10/season. I wonder if that has affected the # of fights of a staged variety.

Jackie Treehorn

Sep 5, 2008
I'm not coming in to start anything , because i like most of your players, your coach and am the first Leaf fan to admit that you guys have a bright future.

I just cant stand what some of your players and Mclean said about the fight. Attacking our players saying they only play 2-3 mins a night? comeon. Sure they bring a physical element, but they have been playing a regular shift all year. And both (Orr and Mclaren) have chipped in offensively.

Again not starting something, and didn't want to just post a whining thread in the Toronto Forum.

I don't think Maclean was attacking those guys, I think he was more pointing out that that's the way those guys affect the game, if DD turns down the fight he neutralizes,for the most part, mclarens effect. I think Maclean would rather make those guys skate, as the pace picks up they don't play much

Oct 10, 2010
Stage fighting is fine, and is great entertainment nobody talks about it if DD doesn't get KO.

This season has been fun to watch fighting has been up , and that's always a good thing , imo! I love it!

Hope DD is back sooner rather than later and goes right back at it! (with some pointers from Neil)

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Haha no. I've seen Neil do the same thing as well.

It was DD's fault for accepting, nobody else.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Alright.

We(the fans) don't control what players and coaches say after the game.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
You can't take MacLean's views on this seriously in the least considering after the fight you could see him say to the ref:

"No instigator?"

Ref: :laugh:

"Now you're laughing at me?"

If I wasn't sick to my stomach from seeing that kid get KTFO I would have had a pretty hard chuckle too. Point is, of course MacLean will do or say whatever he can at all times to defend his team and player.

Heck, DD was doing pretty damn good in the fight up until the KO punch. Even cut McLaren for stitches. But, you drop the gloves in the NHL, there's always that small chance of disaster. Happens to the best of them, and unfortunately last night happened to DD.

I heard the first question of the concussion test was 'spell your name'. They were able to rule him out for the rest of the night almost immediately.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I hate when people criticize fighting, but get excited when it happens.

My dad says "fighting in hockey is so stupid and barbaric! look at football, they can play physical and yet don't start fighting each other"

Yet he's the first to drop what he's doing and run to the TV when i yell "fight!". He runs quicker to make sure he sees the fight, then the replay of a goal, yet will look at me and say "isn't fighting stupid?"

I Don't know if people realize the NHL is for entertainment purposes and as NHL10,11,12,13 all say "more people come to watch the fights, then stay away because of them" and "hockey is the best sport in the world, because once theyre done dropping the gloves, the actual play continues" ...it's like a bonus feature that hockey has that draws viewers.

Don't get me wrong...staged fights are never as good as heated fights...that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining.

I was all excited when i saw sticks and gloves go flying. I'm sure i'm not alone.

Yup.

You just described Legend Killer and Indy on the Road perfectly.

Staged fights are fine. Many people (even sens fans) here have said the same.

I can not stand the people who whine about fighting yet when a fight happens they drop what they are doing to watch it.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Stage fighting is fine, and is great entertainment nobody talks about it if DD doesn't get KO.

This season has been fun to watch fighting has been up , and that's always a good thing , imo! I love it!

Hope DD is back sooner rather than later and goes right back at it! (with some pointers from Neil)

I'm with you. Hope DD is okay and back asap. You never like to see that stuff but it happens. Happens to the best of em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad