Injury Report: David Dziurzynski Concussed

Berserker*

Just saw the replay again (thanks for the link, Ski).

Frigging stage fighting. Stupid. Useless. Unnecessary.

Can't wait until the league finally outlaws it. I'm all for fighting, GOOD fighting. Two guys who in the heat of the moment drop'em? Someone cheap-shots a player and someone else comes in to get some cowboy justice? That's good hockey.

These stupid fights 26 seconds into a game, this "Hey, y'wanna go?" cordial, each guy takes off their helmet and lets the other guy prepare, pre-meditated BS... frigging makes me shake my head.

Ya, the whole stage fighting thing does seem unnecessary. It's not like they are even pushing and shoving each other or chirping each other before the puck is dropped.

I understand that the tactic, in part, is to give the team a boost. But if they want to do that, then the player should run someone or facewash a star player or snow a goalie. That way there is at least a reason for someone to drop the gloves.

Neil does a perfect job of that; if he feels the team needs a spark then he will force them into a fight with his reckless play. Those kinds of tactics help fuel the animosity in the game and help create more excitement.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Alright.

We(the fans) don't control what players and coaches say after the game.

Neither do we control what GMs do with trades, Coaches do with sitting guys and playing others. Yet we still comment.

I was stating how I felt, and felt like doing it in here.....to see if you guys felt the same way as the coach or some of the players. That is all.

Cheers.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Dizzy bit off more than he could chew, simple enough. He made a rookie mistake; didn't stay in tight and fight defensively, instead he tried to go toe to toe with a proven heavy. He paid for it with a KO that hopefully won't theaten his career. It looked eerily similar to kypers career ending KO.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of hockey fights feature guys in close, not really connecting much. Those guys were throwing, as Rocky's trainer put it, "some hurtin' bombs". If you are going to get some separation and keep trade haymakers, chances are someone is going to get hurt. As we saw, he actually cut McLaren for eight stitches before he ate that nasty right cross. The good news is that Dizzy is feeling much better today, according to media reports...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yup.

You just described Legend Killer and Indy on the Road perfectly.

Staged fights are fine. Many people (even sens fans) here have said the same.

I can not stand the people who whine about fighting yet when a fight happens they drop what they are doing to watch it.

Everyone rubbernecks at a crash scene on the highway, so that means it's a-ok to drive like a maniac and cause crashes on the roads. According to your logic, anyways. :shakehead

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
McLaren did nothing wrong, Dziurzynski could always have refused.

Kinda feel bad for him, he's trying to prove that he can ccarve out a niche in the NHL
, but he has to pick his spots better. Showed some guts though.

Exactly why he had no choice but to fight. A guy who's not a top line rookie or 1st round draft pick doesn't really have the "option" to say no.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Exactly why he had no choice but to fight. A guy who's not a top line rookie or 1st round draft pick doesn't really have the "option" to say no.

Considering that Bryan Murray is quoted as wondering why DD decided to fight Fraser Maclaren, you would be wrong.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Watched the game and this is exactly why fights should be banned. The game doesn't need this primitive crap to happen in order to be exciting.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
McLean said what everyone was thinking and its that guys like MacLaren and Orr played their role (in 3 mins) and DD would have had a bigger imapct on the game playing the full 60 or fighting someone who would have had a larger impact on the game other than MacLaren or Orr, if he was going to fight.

What Smith said it feels like he's calling out MacLaren for taking on light-heavyweights when he is clearly a heavyweight. He has fought Gorges and DD. I don't fault MacLaren because how many heavyweights are left in the league? Not many. Ottawa doesnt have one. MacLaren is trying to stick in the bigs and he has one card, fighting. If the SENS were winning 6-0 and we had a powerplay would you stop Silfvy from scoring a goal? No, he's trying to make it in the bigs and stick, he will try to establish himself the best way that he can.

As a teamate I understand why Smith got angry because (i think) he felt MacLaren should not have started a fight with a guy out of his weight class. I dont fault anyone in this. Not DD for trying to lift up his teamates and stick in the lineup, not MacLaren for the same reasons, and not Smith/MacLean for calling a spade a spade.

Berserker*

Watched the game and this is exactly why fights should be banned. The game doesn't need this primitive crap to happen in order to be exciting.

There is no need to ban fighting in hockey. Fighting is an important part of the game and should always be part of it. Now if you are talking about stage fighting, then you may have a point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Regardless of what some think about stage fighting or whatever the definition it's real & it's a part of the NHL. Carlyle's team seems to have a fight in every game at the very beginning of games to set the stage for that match. IMO I thought that worked very well in their favour when MaClaren dropped DD, that set the stage for TO to then push Ottawa around & intimidate them which worked for a while. Ottawa seems to have a very resilient team & they came back & if it was not for some shoddy goaltending had the opportunity to win.

I'm not saying you have to have an enforcer on your team but if you are in the NHL & they call you out to fight backing down doesn't always work either, it didn't work for Jacques Martin's teams. At some point you have to answer the bell or they will take liberties & when a team wins a fight right off the bat their team gets a boost & their players play bigger, it's a fact in the NHL & some coaches like Carlyle use it as a tool.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I would like to see fighting banned in junior, i've seen some nasty fights over the years. One thing if a professional gets KO'd but when you see an 18 year old with no chance of making the NHL that is not hockey. Ban it in juniors and that will eventually limit the number of enforcers that make the NHL.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Sooooooooooooo... at this point, I'm just going to assume he's dead. RIP DD

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
There is no need to ban fighting in hockey. Fighting is an important part of the game and should always be part of it. Now if you are talking about stage fighting, then you may have a point.
Important part of the game? Why?

That crap isn't accepted in international hockey. I read most Canadians want to ban it from hockey as well.

Just to understand you, what's the difference between a fight and a stage fight?

Ron Jeremy

Just to understand you, what's the difference between a fight and a stage fight?

You have obviously never played hockey. A fight occurs when someone hits you, you don't like it, throw your glove and punch him in the face. A staged fight is 2 goons step on the ice, look at each other, one says, "wanna go?" The other says "OK" they throw their gloves and fight.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You have obviously never played hockey. A fight occurs when someone hits you, you don't like it, throw your glove and punch him in the face. A staged fight is 2 goons step on the ice, look at each other, one says, "wanna go?" The other says "OK" they throw their gloves and fight.

Even then, some staged fights change momentum.

Mcgrattan going "you wanna go?" to tie domie at a random point in the game for no reason shattered the beliefs that toronto could rough us up.

If teams start making us their *****, a big bad guy with a mean grin can do wonders beating up their toughest player then skating by their bench with the look that you'll murder any guy who ****s with his team.

I agree a lot of staged fights are stupid, but many still hold a lot of value.

Tell me that fight was pointless for the Ottawa Senators:

Ron Jeremy

Mcgrattan going "you wanna go?" to tie domie at a random point in the game for no reason shattered the beliefs that toronto could rough us up.

If teams start making us their *****, a big bad guy with a mean grin can do wonders beating up their toughest player then skating by their bench with the look that you'll murder any guy who ****s with his team.

I agree 100%. Staged fights have a role, set a tone, can switch a momentum.

The Sens-Sabres brawl a few years ago swung the momentum for the rest of the season.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Important part of the game? Why?

That crap isn't accepted in international hockey. I read most Canadians want to ban it from hockey as well.

Its better to drop the gloves then....

I mean if I was playing, and fighting was banned, and I was pissed, then Id be spearing guys in the calf,slashing ankles, and driving my buttend into anyone that came near me..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Couldn't agree more, after yrs of Quinn, Domi & the rest of them & their fans ******** on Ottawa for being soft, for Martin saying we should just ignore it this fight with McGratton dropping Domi changed everything for the image of the team & it's fans. It was huge. Look how happy Neil was on the bench & how sad the annoucers were to see Domi dropped. Not long after that Domi was done & Ottawa was no longer a psuh over. We had the same thing with Carkner & we have seen the difference this yr without that big heavyweight, they take out Neil & this team is screwed.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
It's so funny all the whining about staged fights, if DD dropped Maclaren you would all be talking about how amazing he is and what a fight that was! He is a big boy who made his choice, whatever his reasoning. As for staged fights at starts of games what is wrong with setting the tone especially in another teams building ? You don't think there is some importance to silencing the crowd and maybe getting players a little shook ? Please take the homer glasses off and stop making sens fans look bad.

DethAlive

Dec 27, 2008
Interesting to see that MacLean didn't think that this was a staged fight. He said it was pre-meditated. So what is the definition of a staged fight then?

Here is the link of what MacLean had to say
http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1141&id=214640
The way I see it a staged fight would be something there just to give a show without any real reason behind it other than fight.

MacLean is saying is this fight was McLaren sending a message to DD that he wouldn't be able to throw his body around like he did the previous games. So yes it was premiditated...but it wasnt a stage show. It was a real message being sent(and sadly the lucky punch made the message that much more effective because DD never made it back to even try and hit other guys..).

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Actually played several seasons, but my english isn't good enough to know what exact difference the word "stage" adds. Even though I understand it now, both are unacceptable in Sweden as they result in suspensions, no matter if it's a "staged" fight or not.

I think people who wants to see fights are watching the wrong sport though. There are lots of sports they could watch instead. Boxing etc. Especially those "staged" fights have nothing to do with ice hockey IMO. Boxers on steroids pretending to be hockey players are just crap for the sport IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad