Injury Report: David Dziurzynski Concussed

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He got knocked the **** out! :amazed:

I wonder how serious of a concussion. Is it an alfredsson i'm back in 2 weeks concussion, or a "i'll never be the same player/never play again" concussion.

I'm hoping he can make a full recovery and won't be a different player. If he comes back and plays small and doesn't stand up for his teamates he won't stick around the NHL.

He should have picked a middleweight for his first NHL fight.

Also when he comes back, he needs to be coached on how to properly protect himself against bigger guys then him. He did not do a good job at protecting himself. He left himself wide open. Hopefully when he's healthy neiler can give him some pointers.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
O'Brien should draw back in against the Rags....but ya, scary sight seeing Dizzy like that.

Here's hoping for a full recovery

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Reminded me of the Macintyre-Ivanans knockout a few years back. I think Ivanans was actually out a year and a half after that one, so I hope to hell it isn't that bad.

Dizzy's actually been a good hockey player for this team so far this year. Hate that he felt he had to fight a "heavyweight"ish type player for whatever reason, especially at such a meaningless time in the game.

e: I guess I'm just trying to say this is a dumb kind of fight that really shouldn't have happened, and it just sucks that a promising young player had to get hurt from it. Right off the faceoff, no buildup to it or history behind it, just doing it for crowd entertainment. I'm totally okay with Carkner pounding Boyle's face in to send a message in the playoffs, or Neil dropping the gloves to spark the team when they need a boost, but this kind of fight - where it's done for nothing but the spectacle - is just pointless in today's game.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Reminded me of the Macintyre-Ivanans knockout a few years back. I think Ivanans was actually out a year and a half after that one, so I hope to hell it isn't that bad.

Dizzy's actually been a good hockey player for this team so far this year. Hate that he felt he had to fight a "heavyweight"ish type player for whatever reason, especially at such a meaningless time in the game.

e: I guess I'm just trying to say this is a dumb kind of fight that really shouldn't have happened, and it just sucks that a promising young player had to get hurt from it. Right off the faceoff, no buildup to it or history behind it, just doing it for crowd entertainment. I'm totally okay with Carkner pounding Boyle's face in to send a message in the playoffs, or Neil dropping the gloves to spark the team when they need a boost, but this kind of fight - where it's done for nothing but the spectacle - is just pointless in today's game.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
:shakehead

dumb. Why would he fight a heavyweight?

Maclaren said he asked him to fight and at first he said no.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417546

McLaren, noting the Leafs had a flat start last time out, said he asked Dziurzynski to fight.

"I was just trying to get us going early. I asked him (to fight) and he actually said no, so I thought we weren't going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff there when the puck dropped," he said. "He's a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there.

"It was just a lucky punch. It happens some times."

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Maclaren said he asked him to fight and at first he said no.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417546

McLaren, noting the Leafs had a flat start last time out, said he asked Dziurzynski to fight.

"I was just trying to get us going early. I asked him (to fight) and he actually said no, so I thought we weren't going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff there when the puck dropped," he said. "He's a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there.

"It was just a lucky punch. It happens some times."

that's what pisses me off. these staged fights. no reason for dd to do it. pointless. we need less goons like mclaren and orr in the game and not more.

Berserker*

It was unfortunate to see Dziurzynski go down like that. He was playing well lately and hopefully he is able to have a quick recovery from his injury.

Aside from that Dziurzynski's fighting ability, much like his playing ability, is raw but there is some good potential there. He has a lot of power, he just needs to learn how to be more technical. Fortunately Neil is one of the most technical fighters in the league and can teach Dizzy a thing or two. I would expect that as soon as he is healthy enough to practice, that he will partake in some extra sessions with Neil so he doesn't get clipped again.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Just saw the replay again (thanks for the link, Ski).

Frigging stage fighting. Stupid. Useless. Unnecessary.

Can't wait until the league finally outlaws it. I'm all for fighting, GOOD fighting. Two guys who in the heat of the moment drop'em? Someone cheap-shots a player and someone else comes in to get some cowboy justice? That's good hockey.

These stupid fights 26 seconds into a game, this "Hey, y'wanna go?" cordial, each guy takes off their helmet and lets the other guy prepare, pre-meditated BS... frigging makes me shake my head.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
My guess is DD wanted to show why he should be in the league...

And it backfired, massively...

But nice to hear the Leafs fans chanting such nice things to DD :sarcasm:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
On a side note, TSN called him either Dan or Don David Dziurzynski on SportsCenter this morning...

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
I guess he cut Maclaren for 8 stitches on the chin...for what its worth.

He needs to keep his chin tucked tight, and shoulders up.

Hope he alright.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Can't wait until the league finally outlaws it. I'm all for fighting, GOOD fighting. Two guys who in the heat of the moment drop'em? Someone cheap-shots a player and someone else comes in to get some cowboy justice? That's good hockey.

These stupid fights 26 seconds into a game, this "Hey, y'wanna go?" cordial, each guy takes off their helmet and lets the other guy prepare, pre-meditated BS... frigging makes me shake my head.

According to TSN, the Leafs have had these staged fights early in the first period a lot this year,it seems to be part of their game plan.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Very lucky punch(es) - wouldn't usually happen, but man that looked like he was stone cold. Hate staged fights - useless.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I always liked DD called him my dark horse prospect as he came in from that lower junior league..........

last season he really improved under KK this year l thought he regressed a bit under coach Luke...........

Point is he is NOT a good fighter in fact he does not drop the gloves much.........

DD got popped in fact l wonder if DD knows who is is right now
OUCH..........................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xsDv6yCnY

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007

Well said. My thoughts exactly. Completely useless

cobaltseraphim*

sounds mean but that was a stupid fight, and we got a stupid result. Too bad he got injured. At least when he returns he won't fight the other teams tough guy, in the first minute, on the road.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I always liked DD called him my dark horse prospect as he came in from that lower junior league..........

last season he really improved under KK this year l thought he regressed a bit under coach Luke...........

Point is he is NOT a good fighter in fact he does not drop the gloves much.........

DD got popped in fact l wonder if DD knows who is is right now
OUCH..........................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xsDv6yCnY

Somebody should tell him he is Jason Spezza

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Get well soon, Dizzy. I liked his game- no need to go with a plug who can't play and is just there to fight.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O

This. Fighting is a valid part of the game, when used properly, i.e. to defend teammates, in the heat of the moment. Staged fighting is stupid, and only serves to potentially injure players, both short and long term.

Seeing DD like that was scary, very scary. I only hope for him that he will recover, and not only be able to resume his playing career, but, more importantly, not suffer any lingering effects long-term. Best wishes to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad