Injury Report: David Dziurzynski Concussed

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Actually played several seasons, but my english isn't good enough to know what exact difference the word "stage" adds. Even though I understand it now, both are unacceptable in Sweden as they result in suspensions, no matter if it's a "staged" fight or not.

I think people who wants to see fights are watching the wrong sport though. There are lots of sports they could watch instead. Boxing etc. Especially those "staged" fights have nothing to do with ice hockey IMO. Boxers on steroids pretending to be hockey players are just crap for the sport IMO.
I can understand the spontaneous fights where tempers boil over or to protect a team mate.
But I think the staged fights are dumb.

source

Jul 13, 2008
This is pretty good for DD. Not saying he fought McLaren with $$ in mind, but he could be earning an NHL salary for a decent length of time now.

Berserker*

Important part of the game? Why?

That crap isn't accepted in international hockey. I read most Canadians want to ban it from hockey as well.

Just to understand you, what's the difference between a fight and a stage fight?

From my understanding a "staged fight" is a fight that has nothing to do with the enforcing aspects of the game. It doesn't involve retaliation for a cheap or dirty play and there is no message sending involved. Essentially it is a sideshow that has no purpose other than fighting for the sake of fighting.

To understand the role and impact of fighting on hockey I recommend that you read "The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL" written by Ross Bernstein. That way you can gain an educated opinion on the subject.

Also you can't really use Olympic or European Hockey as examples as to why fighting should be banned. There are far to many dissimilarities to even compare those leagues. In regards to the Olympics, one of the main reasons why there isn't fighting is because it is based on a one-game elimination playoff format. Teams can't really afford a bad penalty and if they engage in a fight they may put their team in a vulnerable position that may cost them the game. Also there are very few teams and an increased talent level in the Olympics. The NHL would need to cut the teams down to 6 and remove salary caps in order to have comparable teams to the Olympics. That way 4th lines in that league would be first lines in today's league. With the high end talent being spread out among many teams, each team now has a number of players that are less talented but fill a role in terms of the physical element they bring to the game.

As long as there is hitting allowed in the game, there will be borderline and flat out dirty hits. Because of this, there will always be a need for enforcers to keep these players in line. Therefore if you want to ban fighting, you almost certainly have to ban hitting as well. If fighting wasn't allowed, we would likely see a substantial increase in dirty hits. Fighting basically plays a primary role in constraining dirty hits.

Edit: It is also a misconception that the majority of Canadians want to ban fighting. It is just a select few of them who are very outspoken and dogmatic. This niche group of Canadians feel the need to force their views onto others and often revert to Ad Hominem attacks on those who oppose their perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
fighting needs to go. it's the only major sport where fighting is allowed without game ejections.

nfl football is more physical than hockey, and yet fighting is not condoned. if nfl can get away with it, so can hockey.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
fighting needs to go. it's the only major sport where fighting is allowed without game ejections.

nfl football is more physical than hockey, and yet fighting is not condoned. if nfl can get away with it, so can hockey.

you need to go.

2CHAAIIINNNZZZZZ

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stage Fighting is a Coaches Tool

IMO a staged fight is to set the tempo for the game. I think Carlyle uses almost before every game to set the tempo for his team, they get charged up when their guy does well in the fight. It`s used as an energy boost, it`s used to help soft players play tougher or bigger than they normally do knowing they have tough guys to protect them. Lots of coaches have used stage fights to intimidate not just the player in the fight, but to send a message to the elite players on the other team hoping it takes them off their game. It`s a message sender.

Quinn used to use these tactics against JM`s teams all the time with a lot of success. It would disrupt a game that was going good for one side to try & force a momentum change. IMO it has been a big part of the game for a long time & continues to be. I also see how teams like TO, Philly, Boston & the NYR have tried to push us around & goat our guys into fights specifically IMO to intimidate. Without a legitimate heavyweight I think teams will try & exploit that perceived weakness. Sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn`t but IMO a lot of teams use it as a tool. It`s a man`s game afterall & most men`s games are determined by survival of the fittest or strongest or toughest.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

NFL is hardly "more physical" considering it's all stop-n-go for the "no attention span" general public

If the NHL played in 20 seconds spurts (basically spending more time not playing than playing overall) I don't think there would be much fighting either

American Football is a joke of a sport in terms of watching, hell of a lot of fun to play though!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Hockey is hockey & football is football, you can`t compare the two. Football has never had fighting as part of the sport but it has been a part of hockey in this country. It`s been a part of the sport forever & continues to be part of the sport. I know there a lot of people who don't condone fighting or don't like it but it has been used as a strategy for yrs & IMO will continue to be used as one.

IMO although it will never be said I see it as a coaches tool to inspire their team, to pay back some dirty deed or to set the tempo or change momentum. I`m not sure it`s always the players & only the players who are determined to fight, I think the coaches could have more to do with it then we know. Carlyle`s Leafs seem to start every game with a fight, is that the players or the coach who have decided that? IMO if the instigator rule was removed I think we would actually see less fighting & less stick hacking & players like Cooke instantly held accountable.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Remember the the "Hype" for the biggest staged fight last year...Man I was Pumped!!!

Kyle "BadBoy" Turris V.S. Joe "Tatty" Corvo

After Corvo called him out.

I was disappoint.

odhiambo

Apr 12, 2009
Very good article....I wish Ottawa newspaper's would write sport articles like this...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I can understand the spontaneous fights where tempers boil over or to protect a team mate.
But I think the staged fights are dumb.

Some coaches like Carlyle use stage fighting to set the tempo for the game, some coaches like Torts use it to change the momentum in the game to their favour & some coaches use is as an energy boost to inspire their team or like Neil likes to try often. Whether people like it or not, it's part of the NHL game & players don't seem to mind it at all, so why do some fans? Fighting has been a part of hockey for hundred yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad