David Booth III (MOD Warning Post #123)

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I'm convinced we still need his size and speed. He was turning things around late in the year which can't be said for most of the team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think if Aquilini is fine with buying out David Booth, I say just buy him out and move on. The UFA market is thin and maybe the Canucks don't end up chasing anyone of note, but there's always the trade market and you never know when the cap space will come in handy.

The decision to let Booth go is similar to the decision to let Raymond go. Neither can be relied upon as a top 6 solution and neither are ideal fits for the 3rd line. Booth has shown chemistry with Kassian but that's it. If Kassian can take another step forward in his game, he likely won't be playing with Booth next season. I have been a supporter of Booth in that I think he can still be a legitimate goal scorer in the NHL if he's in good health, but I just don't see him fitting in. He's not a puck control guy so he's not a fit with the Sedins. He hasn't shown chemistry with Kesler. Booth works best on a hit everything shoot at will grind line or with a guy who can pass the puck like Santo or Kassian. Maybe Booth bounces back, but he hasn't contributed to the Canucks winning. Better to open up that spot and look towards the future.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Might as well keep him, it's not like we need the cap space to sign free agents.

If he plays well, it's a nice bonus. If he doesn't, who cares, he's off the books after next season.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
For all the criticism he took for his lack of production, I still think he would have been a better fit on the PP instead of Hansen.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Is there really that much to lose, keeping Booth?

If he makes the team and contributes, he is a useful asset.

If he doesn't make the team, or becomes excess baggage as the season progresses, he can be put on waivers and sent to the AHL.

As I understand the system, he only counts towards the cap while he is on the NHL roster. So, if the coach decides to give him a shot, but changes his mind after one-third of the season has passed and ships him off to the AHL, only one-third of his salary would count against the cap.

The Booth issue is another reason I hope they can get a new coach on board sooner rather than later. The decision whether to keep Booth or toss him is something the coach should be involved with. New coach might just see something he can use.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

If he doesn't make the team, or becomes excess baggage as the season progresses, he can be put on waivers and sent to the AHL.

As I understand the system, he only counts towards the cap while he is on the NHL roster. So, if the coach decides to give him a shot, but changes his mind after one-third of the season has passed and ships him off to the AHL, only one-third of his salary would count against the cap.

The Booth issue is another reason I hope they can get a new coach on board sooner rather than later. The decision whether to keep Booth or toss him is something the coach should be involved with. New coach might just see something he can use.

Nah. There's a limit on the amount of cap relief you get with someone in the minors in the new CBA. 925,000 or something?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

No, under the new CBA we can't hide salary in the AHL anymore, if we waive Booth and he isn't claimed, then every dollar above a certain amount (I think it's $975,000) counts against the cap, so we'd have over a $3M cap hit for him down in the AHL.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
A one-way contract counts against the cap as follows:

cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

Next season the minimum is $550k.

4.25M - 0.925M = 3.325M cap-hit.

Again, there's no reason to bury him. There are no free-agents to sign and the cap is going up from 64.3M to somewhere between 69 and 71.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Needs to go. Right now, we have a team that missed the playoffs, couldn't win a game or score more than 2 goals when/if they got there, doesn't work hard enough, has a ton of NTC's, lacks serious depth up front and is abundant with forwards who do a lot of skating and no scoring...

...all of that lead to a demand for change from the fan base, and with ownership/management agreeing with that. But right now, what can we change? Edler's value sucks and he has a NTC, the Kesler situation looks like a soap opera in the making, the Sedins are unmovable, Higgins has a NTC, Garrison has a NTC.

So let me get this straight, pretty much we can't trade the Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Higgins, and other but we want change? So, we keep David Booth as well?

Someone tell me what changes then? He's not a core player, I get it. But we need to do something.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Needs to go. Right now, we have a team that missed the playoffs, couldn't win a game or score more than 2 goals when/if they got there, doesn't work hard enough, has a ton of NTC's, lacks serious depth up front and is abundant with forwards who do a lot of skating and no scoring...

...all of that lead to a demand for change from the fan base, and with ownership/management agreeing with that. But right now, what can we change? Edler's value sucks and he has a NTC, the Kesler situation looks like a soap opera in the making, the Sedins are unmovable, Higgins has a NTC, Garrison has a NTC.

So let me get this straight, pretty much we can't trade the Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Higgins, and other but we want change? So, we keep David Booth as well?

Someone tell me what changes then? He's not a core player, I get it. But we need to do something.

Getting rid of a non-core player that has no effect on the cap and might be a healthy scratch a lot of the time doesn't "change" anything.

We have an old, stale core whose window has closed, it needs to change. If some of those guys won't waive their NTC, well I guess we're just going to have to ride it out til their contracts expire. :laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Getting rid of a non-core player that has no effect on the cap and might be a healthy scratch a lot of the time doesn't "change" anything.

We have an old, stale core whose window has closed, it needs to change. If some of those guys won't waive their NTC, well I guess we're just going to have to ride it out til their contracts expire. :laugh:

And how confident are you that the core will change? If getting rid of Booth doesn't change anything then it isnt much of a loss to get rid of him. Open up a spot for someone else. Maybe the Canucks can take on another reclamation project.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
And how confident are you that the core will change? If getting rid of Booth doesn't change anything then it isnt much of a loss to get rid of him. Open up a spot for someone else. Maybe the Canucks can take on another reclamation project.

Frankly I'm not very confident the core will change, which is unfortunate, but that isn't necessarily a good reason to get rid of Booth.

Retaining Booth doesn't mean he'll take the spot of a younger player or another reclamation project. Whoever plays better and earns the spot will get it. Like I said in my original post: If he plays well, it's a nice bonus. If he doesn't, who cares, he's off the books after next season.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
booth is the kind of player that would be trivial to trade at 50% off to an eastern team for his final 30 games or whatever at the deadline. no real reason to buy him out unless you've got a major FA signing in the bag

thelastone

May 29, 2014
East Coast
There really is no need to buy him out, with the cap raising next year that means the floor will be raising as well and there will be teams needing to reach the floor. Booth can easily fetch a 3rd pick if the canucks retain 20% of his salary 850k. Who cares if that 850k counts against the cap we wont need it anyways this year. This is a lot better then a) keeping him and paying him the whole amount and possibly sitting out games and taking a roster spot from one of the younger players b) buying him out is pointless as the canucks will have two pay 2/3 of his salary over two years which is 1.4m each year. Yes it doesn't count against the cap but one of the lower cap spending teams will take a chance on him at 3.4m plus the canucks get an asset.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Unless they first announce a big FA signing first there's no benefit to buying out booth. He could be a damn good 3rd liner at worst and very possibly net 20 goals if he stays healthy.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Booth played hard every game. That's unusual for this team. There are several guys that were much worse than Booth, too, that deserve buy-out consideration.

Booth would only leave $1.3m on the books if he was bought out using a conventional buy-out. The Compliance Buy-out could be useful elsewhere?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Unless they first announce a big FA signing first there's no benefit to buying out booth. He could be a damn good 3rd liner at worst and very possibly net 20 goals if he stays healthy.

I think he got a lot of his confidence back near the end of last season. He seemed to flourish when the team completely sucked and there was no pressure on the team to perform. Will this confidence continue when this team plays better? That is the big question.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Booth played hard every game. That's unusual for this team. There are several guys that were much worse than Booth, too, that deserve buy-out consideration.

Booth would only leave $1.3m on the books if he was bought out using a conventional buy-out. The Compliance Buy-out could be useful elsewhere?

There were lots of nights when Booth didn't play hard enough defensively and was benched by two different coaches . He appeared to finally get the message but was still not very effective even when he played hard. I'd rather have a young guy take the job and learn this year. We need to bring in some youth sooner or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00