Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I can't believe we reached thread #3.

Highlight of the season.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't know what's gonna happen with Booth. When is the buy out period anyways? That could have some relevance. I don't mind Booth, he just isn't worth 4.25mil. If we had him for 2.6mil he'd be a nice fit on this team.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
Does the salary cap going up next year mean he will stay? Honest question.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Does free agency work the same as it did last year? Allowed to start talking on the 1st but unable to sign til the 3rd or 5th? It would be nice having that cap space and roster spot to work with.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
Does free agency work the same as it did last year? Allowed to start talking on the 1st but unable to sign til the 3rd or 5th? It would be nice having that cap space and roster spot to work with.

I Thought you can speak to free agents before, but can't sign until the 1st under the CBA?

The timing was difference last year was due to everything running a bit later due to the partial lockout.

Edit:

Taken from http://www.capgeek.com/faq/new-cba

FREE AGENCY
Group 3 unrestricted free agency remains unchanged and begins on July 1 each year. UFAs may meet and interview with potential new clubs from the day after the entry draft (June 25 at the latest) until June 30.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
it this the last window for the buyout>?
ie, use it or lose it this summer?
not that we'd want to buy anyone else out down the road ..but might be good to keep the option..?

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I Thought you can speak to free agents before, but can't sign until the 1st under the CBA?

The timing was difference last year was due to everything running a bit later due to the partial lockout.

Edit:

Taken from http://www.capgeek.com/faq/new-cba

FREE AGENCY
Group 3 unrestricted free agency remains unchanged and begins on July 1 each year. UFAs may meet and interview with potential new clubs from the day after the entry draft (June 25 at the latest) until June 30.

OK, that's pretty much what I was thing. Just had the dates wrong.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I like plus hope we keep him

At the expense of?

I think they will keep him if Kesler is dealt. If Kesler stays, they move on. Reason: They can't play together, and in order to maximize Booth's skillset, I think he needs to play 2LW with PP duties.

With Kesler gone, they lose a bit of size up front. For that reason, it might be worth keeping a bigger guy like Booth around.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I don't think Aquaman is going to buy him out. If the decision to do so I'd this borderline, with only one year left, there is little actual reason to buy him out. The only reason he has to buy him out is if this team looks to make a serious push to maximize its every dollar, trying to become a playoff team.

I just don't really see it happening. It's easy for us fans to say "buy him out", but Aqua didn't get rich by handing out free checks. For him, is a business decision. The question for him is " will buying out and replacing Booth with someone else be profitable?". I don't see how the answer could realistically be Yes.

This is the first year of a call increase, right after a cap decrease. The FA market is going to be a zoo.

Gilli's will probably be OK to take one last year (a contact year, no less) with Booth, and smile on the inside that it keeps prospects down for another year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
At the expense of?

I think they will keep him if Kesler is dealt. If Kesler stays, they move on. Reason: They can't play together, and in order to maximize Booth's skillset, I think he needs to play 2LW with PP duties.

With Kesler gone, they lose a bit of size up front. For that reason, it might be worth keeping a bigger guy like Booth around.

at the expense of nobody. i dont expect gillis will be getting the big FA despite how badly i want him to move kesler and sign stastny

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Also depends on how much the cap is going up next season... too much money to spend on FA can be just as bad as not enough...

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
it this the last window for the buyout>?
ie, use it or lose it this summer?
not that we'd want to buy anyone else out down the road ..but might be good to keep the option..?

Correct. This coming off-season will be the last chance to use it.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I honestly don't even see much point in buying him out. Now that he's got healthy, he's actually contributing at a reasonable level....not 4.25 million productive, but probably worth more than what his buyout number would be. Considering this team sucks and we don't need the cap space that badly to make a contender.

He's developed some confidence playing with Richardson and Kassian who are both going to be back next season you would think. I don't think its a stretch to think he could have a good season and even gain us a minor asset at next year's trade deadline when his contract is more palatable.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I honestly don't even see much point in buying him out. Now that he's got healthy, he's actually contributing at a reasonable level....not 4.25 million productive, but probably worth more than what his buyout number would be. Considering this team sucks and we don't need the cap space that badly to make a contender.

He's developed some confidence playing with Richardson and Kassian who are both going to be back next season you would think. I don't think its a stretch to think he could have a good season and even gain us a minor asset at next year's trade deadline when his contract is more palatable.

As a compliance buyout, Booth wouldn't have a cap impact. Unless you're talking about the impact of the buyout on Aquilinis bank number.

If we're not going to find somewhere else to spend the money, then i guess you might as well keep him...but it's hard to imagine a worse way to spend $4.2M on the cap. A little late season surge doesn't change that.

It's tough, because he seems like a really likable guy, and he has some of the key tools you'd want on this team. But the value just isn't there, unless we're going full rebuild and the cap doesn't matter any more.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

That's the way I see it. He's not worth ~4m , but he's also not worth buying out for the organization either. Might as well let him try to have a rebound season, could easily surprise us and put up good numbers, then either resign him to a show me ~3m deal or let him walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00