David Booth III (MOD Warning Post #123)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unfortunately, Booth might have to be our 2nd line winger because that's just how awful our forward group is. I obviously like Higgins over Booth, but Higgins is a better fit on the 3rd line (checking line, with Hansen and Matthias/Santorelli or something).

You are looking at this on paper with your own mind. In the past two years, two coaches have chosen to put Higgins with Kesler over Booth. Kesler doesn't play well with Booth. He has had the most chemistry with Higgins. The Higgins, Kesler, and Santorelli was probably the best line Kesler has been on since playing with Sundin and Demitra both in production and chemistry wise. Ya I don't want Higgins and Santo to be the 2nd line options, but if Kesler is here it's all about getting Kesler going. I would put Sestito beside Kesler if he has chemistry with Kesler and has Kesler playing at his best.

So to reiterate, throwing Booth away for nothing just isn't wise. Healthy scratch him for 82 games if you need to, but don't get rid of an asset for nothing.
He's an "asset" with negative trade value. Why not sign Sundin to a 1 year $10M contract and healthy scratch him for 82 games and have him mentor our young players then?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I hope he stays healthy this year (here or not) and scores 40 pts just to hear you haters back peddle

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think the only real value Booth has is teaching others how to workout. He is a fitness freak and that could rub off on the kids.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
You are looking at this on paper with your own mind. In the past two years, two coaches have chosen to put Higgins with Kesler over Booth. Kesler doesn't play well with Booth. He has had the most chemistry with Higgins. The Higgins, Kesler, and Santorelli was probably the best line Kesler has been on since playing with Sundin and Demitra both in production and chemistry wise. Ya I don't want Higgins and Santo to be the 2nd line options, but if Kesler is here it's all about getting Kesler going. I would put Sestito beside Kesler if he has chemistry with Kesler and has Kesler playing at his best.

Kesler is like impossible to play with, so I would give Booth a chance with whoever our new center is when Kes is traded. If he stays, they could always put Booth with Richardson, there was clearly some chemistry there.

He's an "asset" with negative trade value. Why not sign Sundin to a 1 year $10M contract and healthy scratch him for 82 games and have him mentor our young players then?

Yeah, because keeping a player who is already on your books that can still play (at the very least, over Sestito on the 4th line with Richardson) is the same as signing a retired player to a 10M contract to do nothing. :shakehead

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Kesler is like impossible to play with, so I would give Booth a chance with whoever our new center is when Kes is traded. If he stays, they could always put Booth with Richardson, there was clearly some chemistry there.

I think Booth's chemistry was with Kassian more than with Richardson.

Yeah, because keeping a player who is already on your books that can still play (at the very least, over Sestito on the 4th line with Richardson) is the same as signing a retired player to a 10M contract to do nothing. :shakehead

Sestito plays a different role. He's there to match up against another team's HW enforcer if need be. If Sestito plays on the 4th line instead of Booth that's a coach's decision. And how do you know Sundin can't play? Besides, you are of the opinion that it's fine scratching Booth for 82 games and if that's the case Sundin as a healthy scratch would be infinitely more beneficial than Booth as a healthy scratch. It's just money.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think Booth's chemistry was with Kassian more than with Richardson.

Sestito plays a different role. He's there to match up against another team's HW enforcer if need be. If Sestito plays on the 4th line instead of Booth that's a coach's decision. And how do you know Sundin can't play? Besides, you are of the opinion that it's fine scratching Booth for 82 games and if that's the case Sundin as a healthy scratch would be infinitely more beneficial than Booth as a healthy scratch. It's just money.

10M also counts against the cap. You want to bring in Sundin just to mentor the kids, hire him as an adviser in a management role.

Why am I even entertaining this stupid argument :laugh:

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Not sure what to do with Booth. His game picked up later in the season - as if he was auditioning for a job for next season. But if we keep him, it's a contract year and we might get the most out of him. Fits the profile of big and physical for the bottom 6, the idea of Booth - Horvat/Gaunce - Kassian/Jensen could be a heavy line with decent scoring potential. However, a lot of emphasis seems to be on making season tix-holders happy and I'm not sure they can bring Booth back without suffering the wrath... buying him out seems like a waste, but another injury-plagued season from Booth would be frustrating as hell. Do we pencil in Richardson and Matthias on the fourth line, and replace Sestito? Do we move Hansen and Higgins to get heavier? How about 1 of Kassian or Jensen in the top six, drop Burrows to 3rd line and chase a top 6 ufa? Probably easiest to just buy him out.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The time to buy out Booth was last summer but he was injured so we couldn't go through with it. With only 1 year left on his contract I say we keep him. Worst-case scenario is he sucks or gets injured and we lose the cap space for the current season. With the rather poor UFA group this year I would be surprised if we actually spent all the way to the cap this year so that seems fine by me. Best case scenario is he rebounds to around 40-50 points in which case we keep him for a run or trade him at the deadline to a contender for a mid round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad