David Booth III (MOD Warning Post #123)

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
:shakehead

And yet, mysteriously, he's a .5PPG career player. I wonder how he does it. Prayer?

Keep shaking your head and missing the point.

You can't just include his whole career in order to elevate his accomplishments. The pre-concussion David Booth who relied solely on athleticism is gone. He's no longer the .5 PPG player ever since he's come to Van because of the dude's inability to adapt and evolve.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Keep shaking your head and missing the point.

You can't just include his whole career in order to elevate his accomplishments. The pre-concussion David Booth who relied solely on athleticism is gone. He's no longer the .5 PPG player ever since he's come to Van because of the dude's inability to adapt and evolve.

What do you mean?

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Richards hit derailed him, then multiple successive injuries never let him get back on track, to the point now where he's a marginal bottom 6 player. He is still relatively fast, plays physical and can still score, but has almost no creativity to his game, is a total straight-line player ... hard for him to mesh with anyone. Likely we keep him (as we won't be at cap max) and it's more of the same .. but if we buy him out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a cheap deal somewhere and have a renaissance season ... esp if its a bible belt team

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
When he wasn't injured he was total garbage most of his time here. Showed last half of the season that he is still a barely passable NHL player, but not enough that I want to keep him. I think for the most part buying him out would be addition by subtraction, especially on a rebuilding team.

OTP Legend*

I don't think he will ever be a solid top 6 guy again. Might have another brief flash in the pan but nothing more than that.

Booth is a good player to have on your team if he is making less than 2 million... Anything more and you aren't winning the cup. :)

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
very straight ahead player that was beginning to find the back of the net late last season. he talked a lot abot that ankle injury he had and the problems it gave him.

IDK, i was all for buying him out and if we are going for it then it is probably for the best. However, he is a useful bottom 6 guy that is gaining an understanding for what he has to do to stay in this league. Hits, hits hard, always going forward. Scores timely goals by himself. Wants to be here going forward and definitely isn't getting anything close to this contract again.(barring some freak season this year)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Time to cut ties. Booth doesn't play a tough game and doesn't score enough to be in the top 6 of an average team. Get someone in who can at least contribute in other areas to take that spot or let a young guy like Jensen compete for it.

donutz0r

Jan 12, 2010
Dallas. Go Canucks!
Richards hit derailed him, then multiple successive injuries never let him get back on track, to the point now where he's a marginal bottom 6 player. He is still relatively fast, plays physical and can still score, but has almost no creativity to his game, is a total straight-line player ... hard for him to mesh with anyone. Likely we keep him (as we won't be at cap max) and it's more of the same .. but if we buy him out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a cheap deal somewhere and have a renaissance season ... esp if its a bible belt team
Why would that make a difference? Or are you just saying that because it would be fitting?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Time to cut ties. Booth doesn't play a tough game and doesn't score enough to be in the top 6 of an average team. Get someone in who can at least contribute in other areas to take that spot or let a young guy like Jensen compete for it.

he uses his body and hits hard. he has fast enough feet that it isn't "interference" or "charging" on every hit. Problem for players like Kassian and Sestito is every time they hit anyone the ref just makes some ******** charge, board, interference call.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I had a dream last night that David Booth was putting up better numbers than Crosby. What the ****.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012

Booth is not supposed to be a goon.. what do you mean by tough game?
The goon game is on the way out and Booth still has size to be effective
He plays physical and although he is being paid too much is it worth buying him out? I don't think so. Booth is an effective bottom 6 top 6 tweener and considering that the FA pool is particularly weak this upcoming year why not keep him and see what he can do?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Booth's game whatsoever, but I'm not sure buying him out is the right move just yet. If they're re-building and trade Kesler et al, then cap and money aren't an issue. Might as well keep Booth and pray he makes himself worth something at the deadline. Otherwise he walks in the summer.

If the plan is to add and to re-tool, then it's time to think about buying out Booth. Until we need room and cap space for better players anyway.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Booth is not supposed to be a goon.. what do you mean by tough game?
The goon game is on the way out and Booth still has size to be effective
He plays physical and although he is being paid too much is it worth buying him out? I don't think so. Booth is an effective bottom 6 top 6 tweener and considering that the FA pool is particularly weak this upcoming year why not keep him and see what he can do?

We already know what he can do. Get hurt and play inconsistently. I'm all for giving players second, third and fourth chances. Booth's time has run out on Vancouver, IMO. Time for Aquaman to buy him out and let a young player compete for his job or get someone else in who plays a more complete two way game.

Last edited by a moderator:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
We already know what he can do. Get hurt and play inconsistently. I'm all for giving players second, third and fourth chances. Booth's time has run out on Vancouver, IMO. Time for Aquaman to buy him out and let a young player compete for his job or get someone else in who plays a more complete two way game.

Like who?

We have no NHL ready wing prospects, unless Horvat or Shinkaruk shows they are capable of being productive third liners.

Gaunce is the most likely to have a job with the Canucks this upcoming season.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Obviously he is overpaid, but for 1 more year who is his replacement?

That 3rd line of Booth Santorelli Kassian was very strong. Unless hes interfering with us getting a quality top-6 guy no sense in ditching him.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
The fact of the matter is that we have a "free" buyout against the cap. We don't HAVE to use it, and we don't seem to have much appetite to buyout a TON of cash, but that last part is just speculation. Booth might be an ideal fit and is absolutely no loss at all at his cap hit.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
The thing that bothers me...nags at me...is the feeling that if Booth is bought out, he'll leave and sign some cheap ass contract in a place like TO and end up having a career year.

Of course the other thing that nags me, is that if we don't buy him out, he'll be in and out of the medical room for most of the year and will be an infuriating and useless waste of space.

So for me, it comes down to only buying him out if we can legitimately use his cap space for a quality forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad