Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I was on board with it

Shame

However it was at the time my third sport and remains so
haha

It was just so irritating. The logic to trading Lucic at the time was, "Power forwards decline faster. This is a trade for Lucic at the peak of his value." That prediction was 100% correct. Then sign Backes at age 32? I hated the deal so much and now here we are with another potential buyout on the books.

Reactions: DKH

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
haha

It was just so irritating. The logic to trading Lucic at the time was, "Power forwards decline faster. This is a trade for Lucic at the peak of his value." That prediction was 100% correct. Then sign Backes at age 32? I hated the deal so much and now here we are with another potential buyout on the books.

They didn't want to pay Lucic the money...and then went out to try to replace him with a 32 year old power forward ... maybe saving a little money

Looks like to me

- he didn't want to pay Lucic the money he was seeking
- trade him for assets/draft picks
- then try to replace with with Eric Staal. When that didn't pan out, signed Backes instead... enticing him by giving him an extra year and all the protection goodies

Sweeney seems like a gm that doesn't want to come out empty handed. Like some people who enter a store that is having a sale, don't really want to purchase anything, but still ends up getting a few things anyways.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
If they sit him tonight in a must win, we can finally agree this contract is one of the worst ever for the Bruins, and in the conversation for worst contracts all time (say worst 20).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If they sit him tonight in a must win, we can finally agree this contract is one of the worst ever for the Bruins, and in the conversation for worst contracts all time (say worst 20).

He shouldn't be playing either way. He's simply not a good player any longer and hasn't been for 3 seasons now.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
They didn't want to pay Lucic the money...and then went out to try to replace him with a 32 year old power forward ... maybe saving a little money

Looks like to me

- he didn't want to pay Lucic the money he was seeking
- trade him for assets/draft picks
- then try to replace with with Eric Staal. When that didn't pan out, signed Backes instead... enticing him by giving him an extra year and all the protection goodies

Sweeney seems like a gm that doesn't want to come out empty handed. Like some people who enter a store that is having a sale, don't really want to purchase anything, but still ends up getting a few things anyways.

Terrible series of events, I hated the the Backes signing from minute one, but the past being the past, I'd take Backes' 2 more years over Lucic's 4 if given the choice today.

I guess that's one positive element.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
The worst ever ? We signed Martin Lapointe to 20M -4 year deal in 2001. That be like 8-9M+/yr today. He was our highest paid player for like 2-3 years until Thornton signed his new contract. Got 83 points in 205 games. Backes has 91 points in 201 games. Zhamnov? Belesky? Avery? Lucic, Reddin, Souray,Clarkson to name a few. Backes has had a bad go, bad luck with injuries but he is not our worst and there has been a lot worse out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluesguru

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
FWIW - In this series

He sits game one - they come out flat, stay flat, and snooze their way to a loss

Game two he leads the way to their best game of the series setting Coyle up for the first goal and leading all forwards by far with 7 hits.

Game three he leads the team in shots on goal with 5 in just 9 min of icetime (more than Pasta and Marchand combined)- they lose by a goal.

Game four again leads the team in hits, gets his most icetime of the series and the club rolls over the Leafs

Game five he again leads the team in hits and does it playing only 4 freaking minutes. They give up on him and on a physical game. He gets benched as and they blow the game after.

He’s a role player for sure - but it’s a role they need and one they’ve paid dearly for when they try to go in a “different direction” with their line up.

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
The worst ever ? We signed Martin Lapointe to 20M -4 year deal in 2001. That be like 8-9M+/yr today. He was our highest paid player for like 2-3 years until Thornton signed his new contract. Got 83 points in 205 games. Backes has 91 points in 201 games. Zhamnov? Belesky? Avery? Lucic, Reddin, Souray,Clarkson to name a few. Backes has had a bad go, bad luck with injuries but he is not our worst and there has been a lot worse out there.
Martin Lapointe paid dividends off the ice as the mentor to Patrice Bergeron. Never liked his contract, but he was a leader that helped bring along one of our best.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Clearly the " understanding " they reached in Vegas hasn't continued

For whatever reason Bruce does not see a fit....lots of room for second guessing but in any case I expect Backes will be gone at the end of the year.

btw- I have met both Backes and his wife Kelly - both are totally class people which makes this situation all the stranger.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Martin Lapointe paid dividends off the ice as the mentor to Patrice Bergeron. Never liked his contract, but he was a leader that helped bring along one of our best.
Lapointe had a French Canadian connection with Bergeron and definitely helped him along. But Backes is a leader too. He has had two major surgeries from diverticulitis, two concussions and a 16” laceration in 3 years. Guy was a animal in game 2. If we don’t play like game 2 tonight she is lights out.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Clearly the " understanding " they reached in Vegas hasn't continued

For whatever reason Bruce does not see a fit....lots of room for second guessing but in any case I expect Backes will be gone at the end of the year.

btw- I have met both Backes and his wife Kelly - both are totally class people which makes this situation all the stranger.
Bruce wants a soft skilled team... so far the soft highly skilled teams are golfing. Leafs should be too, but Bruce has found away to keep the boys from breaking a fingernail. Let’s not get crazy like game 2 where we absolutely dominated them in every aspect of the game. Bruins found the formula and Bruce decided to go against the grain.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Dude, Backes is so bad they can't dress him today down 3-2. Contemplate that.

Reactions: badbrewin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Terrible series of events, I hated the the Backes signing from minute one, but the past being the past, I'd take Backes' 2 more years over Lucic's 4 if given the choice today.

I guess that's one positive element.

It's like choosing between getting punched in the mouth or kicked in the mouth. No winning either way and painful.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Dude, Backes is so bad they can't dress him today down 3-2. Contemplate that.

Yet he is not the worse bruin in the series? Laid the biggest hit last game and played 4 minutes. Has 1 giveaway. Led the team in hits in game 2 and setup the first goal. So game 2 the only style of game/play that will take this team anywhere he was the leader. The shit show we have been seeing with Marchand and pasta give the puck away all game, no work ethic by most players and this constant fear of the leafs speed is what is losing this series not David Backes

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Giving an over payment to LaPointe was on the front office. They knew what he was and that he wasn't that guy, yet they paid him like he was. You can't call the guy a bad signing when the team paid him like a scorer and he was a career mucker and grinder. It was misguided by the team to expect him to be something he never was.

Backes was supposedly still a viable player that could pop in 20+ goals and 50+ points given that's what he did his last two seasons in STL. He came here, wasn't able to play center, wasn't able to adjust to being on the wing with DK, and dropped off a cliff. End of story. That makes it a million times worse because the reasonable expectation was that while he'd slow down as he got deeper into the contract, he'd still be pretty good for the first 2-3 years of that deal. He hasn't been. He's been lousy. Great guy, but seriously time to go. Retire and stop trying to do this. You can't.

Reactions: Estlin

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Who has been worse in your opinion?
In terms of expectations of what that player should bring? Let me ask you this what bruin has had a good series? I’ve seen one game that the Bruins were the better team, one game where the bruins showed that they could go on a deep run. The entire team has been a joke this series and David Backes is not the reason why. Debrusk has 1 point, and played 2X as much as backes. Accari, Wagner, Bergeron (looks 40), pasta is a giveaway machine want me to keep going? Johnson has been fantastic too? Dynamic player. We’re going sit here and give shit to backes. And don’t tell me any of them are hurt or sick. Backes had two major surgeries, a bowel disease, two concussions and a 16” laceration and no one cuts him a break. He has played less than half of most players and is 2nd in hits by a far margin, was a beast in game 2. So let’s stay with Bruce’s plan... seems to be working.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In terms of expectations of what that player should bring? Let me ask you this what bruin has had a good series? I’ve seen one game that the Bruins were the better team, one game where the bruins showed that they could go on a deep run. The entire team has been a joke this series and David Backes is not the reason why. Debrusk has 1 point, and played 2X as much as backes. Accari, Wagner, Bergeron (looks 40), pasta is a giveaway machine want me to keep going? Johnson has been fantastic too? Dynamic player. We’re going sit here and give **** to backes. And don’t tell me any of them are hurt or sick. Backes had two major surgeries, a bowel disease, two concussions and a 16” laceration and no one cuts him a break. He has played less than half of most players and is 2nd in hits by a far margin, was a beast in game 2. So let’s stay with Bruce’s plan... seems to be working.

Second in hits? Who gives a flying f*** about hits? You also realize that to throw a hit means you don't have the puck, right? Literally a garbage stat that shows nothing other than a guy who plays constantly without the puck because he lacks the skating and skills at this point to win a footrace to it.

Hits? Hits? Jesus. Get over the false bravado and pretend tough guy style of the Big Bad Boston Bruins. That ship has sailed and it left port years ago. That's not what this team is and it's not what the league is anymore either.

Reactions: Estlin

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Second in hits? Who gives a flying **** about hits? You also realize that to throw a hit means you don't have the puck, right? Literally a garbage stat that shows nothing other than a guy who plays constantly without the puck because he lacks the skating and skills at this point to win a footrace to it.

Hits? Hits? Jesus. Get over the false bravado and pretend tough guy style of the Big Bad Boston Bruins. That ship has sailed and it left port years ago. That's not what this team is and it's not what the league is anymore either.
Right who cares about hits? The leafs cared in game 2? Bruins don’t need to hit. Working well for them. How about shots? He is tied for 6th in shots with 38 total minutes played? How about -/+ he is a plus 2... tied for first on the team. So hits, shots, plus minus, 1A. In 38 minutes of ice. We need more players like Johnson. And if you think this team is going anywhere without hitting your nuts. Hits create turnovers and make other players think twice.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Right who cares about hits? The leafs cared in game 2? Bruins don’t need to hit. Working well for them. How about shots? He is tied for 6th in shots with 38 total minutes played? How about -/+ he is a plus 2... tied for first on the team. So hits, shots, plus minus, 1A. In 38 minutes of ice. We need more players like Johnson. And if you think this team is going anywhere without hitting your nuts.
2nd in hits and 6th in shots on goal with the icetime he’s had in the series is damning of the rest of the club - and damning of the coaching staff if they really choose to scratch him this afternoon... and for who? Nordstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad