Player Discussion David Backes V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
If backes ends up in the line-up all it will tell you is Cassidy is planning on playing 3 lines most of the game and backes will be there
for 3 to 4 minutes of action and be a 4th line coach on the bench. If he sticks to the same line-up as easter sunday he will play 4 lines.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I truly wonder what the average number of players used among SC winners is.

I mean, it’s clear that teams use well over 20 guys en route to the cup.

We’re talking 4-5 weeks and 16 - 28 games of hockey.

Nordstrom and Kuhlman played today and did a great job.

That doesn’t mean that Wagner and Backes will never see the ice again and can’t be effective and important.

Stop making sense you're hurting my brain! :laugh:

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I'll always be a proud Backes fan. So sad to see one of our Alternate Captains sitting when some of our guys on the top lines stunk up the joint a few games there. Sorry, but Backes wasn't the reason why they lost 3 games of this series. If anything, his presence in the second game jump started our team- something none of the guys on the top 2 lines were able to do.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's a cusp player as it is right now, but funnily enough if he ever was a fit to play against a certain type of team, it would be Columbus if the Bruins are able to advance tonight. Toronto is probably the last team he should be playing against with their team speed.

Reactions: Bluesguru

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'll always be a proud Backes fan. So sad to see one of our Alternate Captains sitting when some of our guys on the top lines stunk up the joint a few games there. Sorry, but Backes wasn't the reason why they lost 3 games of this series. If anything, his presence in the second game jump started our team- something none of the guys on the top 2 lines were able to do.

And he's been a good soldier throughout- no whining, no complaining, just stays ready to help whenever called upon.

*Stick tap for #42* :hockey:

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To be fair he was a spark in game 2
Exactly. He set the tone for physicality with some big hits in that game and directly set up the first goal that put the Leafs even further back on their heals. Without Backes in Game 2 (given how we have played other games in this series) I think you could argue that we are already out of series.

Does that mean I think he should dress tonight? No, it doesn't. I'd go with Game 6 lineup as is.

My point is that Backes is a great local citizen, is a leader on this team, doesn't whine when he sits, has fought through some hellish injuries, and even took on the role of mini-enforcer this season when we needed a boost. In other words, he's done and been willing to do whatever it takes to try and help this team win -- often to the detriment to his health. Obviously he'd like to be the scoring powerforward of old.

Yet some "fans" on this board want to ridicule and slag him off. I just don't get it. You think someone isn't putting in effort? Fine have at it.

You think someone is getting at the end of their career and can't bring the goods like they used to?????????????

I swear -- some of you here. Why do you even bother following the team if it makes you so frigging miserable.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Exactly. He set the tone for physicality with some big hits in that game and directly set up the first goal that put the Leafs even further back on their heals. Without Backes in Game 2 (given how we have played other games in this series) I think you could argue that we are already out of series.

Does that mean I think he should dress tonight? No, it doesn't. I'd go with Game 6 lineup as is.

My point is that Backes is a great local citizen, is a leader on this team, doesn't whine when he sits, has fought through some hellish injuries, and even took on the role of mini-enforcer this season when we needed a boost. In other words, he's done and been willing to do whatever it takes to try and help this team win -- often to the detriment to his health. Obviously he'd like to be the scoring powerforward of old.

Yet some "fans" on this board want to ridicule and slag him off. I just don't get it. You think someone isn't putting in effort? Fine have at it.

You think someone is getting at the end of their career and can't bring the goods like they used to?????????????

I swear -- some of you here. Why do you even bother following the team if it makes you so frigging miserable.
Great post- you express my thoughts perfectly. I still think he has more in him, but as someone else mentioned, perhaps his style of play is more suitable for the Columbus series. Of course, providing we advance to the second round!

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
I'm sorry, but it's tough to feel bad for a player that's getting paid $6 million a year to be dead weight. 3 goals in 22 playoff games and a rapidly declining offensive skill set. He should be thanking his lucky stars the Bruins shelled out that much money in the first place considering he's barely an NHL player anymore.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm sorry, but it's tough to feel bad for a player that's getting paid $6 million a year to be dead weight. 3 goals in 22 playoff games and a rapidly declining offensive skill set. He should be thanking his lucky stars the Bruins shelled out that much money in the first place considering he's barely an NHL player anymore.
If you think Backes is an it’s only about the money guy then I say you’re wrong.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

he had enough money for him and his family to be very comfortable forever before he ever signed this contract

if he was remotely the type of player that took money and never tried... you might actually not sound stupid with your post. but he is a guy who earned a career through hard work and tough edged competitive hockey

maybe injuries and time caught up to him... not many people are happy when injuries and age catch up to them. I wonder why you would think that?

I know being fat and age caught up to me... im sure as hell not happy about it. I think backes has a billion times more pride in what he did then I do what I did.

I can promise my life on it... hes not thanking his lucky stars lol... omg... what a horrible take

Reactions: BMC and Lady Rhian

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sure are

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He will most likely be called back into the line up next series which will require physical play over speed.

Backes isn't Backes of 10 years ago but he can still be effective in the right situation.

His play has significantly dropped with age (now 34) funny the same hasn't happened with Bergeron (33).

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
And he's been a good soldier throughout- no whining, no complaining, just stays ready to help whenever called upon.

*Stick tap for #42* :hockey:

Yeah, great role model for the kids, not that that should be his primary mission here atm (he should be contributing more at that price but it is what it is, not posting this to whine about that too much) but it's an important part of his job now.

His ability to overcome certain injuries in the past was impressive to say the least.

It has become obvious that he can remain effective if we don't overuse him.

I have a lot of respect for Backes.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
That "dead weight" happened to be the shot in the arm the Bruins needed in game 2. The man lead the way physically, something that was sorely lacking in game one. Our guys played like cream puffs in game one, and I love them all dearly. You can say what you want, but that man is a fine leader in more ways than one. He was Captain of St. Louis and Alternate here in Boston- I doubt he got those roles because he was "dead weight".

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
It's really sad you have to discuss inserting the 6M cap hit center into the line-up.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I feel a Backes sighting coming from Butch.
I wish. The man wants to play. If given a chance, he just might surprise many on here and help lead the Bruins to a win. I am sure having him on the ice and bench would be a moral booster to the many players that are being knocked off the puck, hacked and whacked, cross checked, hit hard every chance CBJ gets.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's really sad you have to discuss inserting the 6M cap hit center into the line-up.

The fact he is your 14th forward when all healthy and that he still has two more years here after is befuddling. What are they going to do with him? How do you play him next year when you just told him he's not good enough to play when it matters?

Reactions: Estlin and trenton1

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The fact he is your 14th forward when all healthy and that he still has two more years here after is befuddling. What are they going to do with him? How do you play him next year when you just told him he's not good enough to play when it matters?

It's awful, really. I hate to see it. That said, he should play game 4 in place of Pasta- put his big body in front of the net on the PP, and otherwise have him go down low and hit what he can and get in front of Bob. Pasta needs healing, Backes would not be any worse than Pasta at this point and he might have something to offer that the Bruins are currently lacking.

Unless he retires, they are stuck with him and his salary, might as well use him- if not now, when? If he can't get in a game when there are clearly injured guys who need a break, then it really has sunk to the lowest depths.

Last edited:

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I think Backes is going in tomorrow and I think there is a good chance that he's going to have a game similar to the one he had against the Leafs in game 2. I hope he destroys Jones or Jenner or both and screens Bobrovsky on a goal or two. It's not out of the realm of possibility at all. He held his own for one game against the speedy Leafs and contributed well to the victory.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think Backes is going in tomorrow and I think there is a good chance that he's going to have a game similar to the one he had against the Leafs in game 2. I hope he destroys Jones or Jenner or both and screens Bobrovsky on a goal or two. It's not out of the realm of possibility at all. He held his own for one game against the speedy Leafs and contributed well to the victory.

You match him up right with Columbus and his lack of speed is much less of a issue than with the Leafs. Do it, Bruce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad