Player Discussion David Backes V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I didn`t necessarily disagree with Butch`s logic behind sitting Backes however, I was wrong about whether or not Backes could keep up to the play so when wrong, have to come on and admit it.

What I didn`t take account for was a ton of experience and while he`ll never be able to keep up stride for stride, his smart positioning means he`s not chasing the game. Played exceptionally well last night

Reactions: BMC

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That entire line was very good and Backes and Heinen are the 2 I’ve been hardest on. Hope they keep it up Monday.

Mojo replaces JDB if he can’t go.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I guess we were both wrong

Cassidy did a good job to not make his average skating speed an issue

those slow/lob dump ins, really worked. Backes led both teams in hits with 7
57881904.jpg

Reactions: Bluesguru and BMC

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
That entire line was very good and Backes and Heinen are the 2 I’ve been hardest on. Hope they keep it up Monday.

Mojo replaces JDB if he can’t go.

i'd be surprised if johansson played - didn't even travel. if JD is out, paul carey goes in.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I didn`t necessarily disagree with Butch`s logic behind sitting Backes however, I was wrong about whether or not Backes could keep up to the play so when wrong, have to come on and admit it.

What I didn`t take account for was a ton of experience and while he`ll never be able to keep up stride for stride, his smart positioning means he`s not chasing the game. Played exceptionally well last night

For Backes it is all about angles, positioning and strength. You don't forget how to do that all of a sudden. There was one play where he kept up with Gardiner, used all 3 of those assets and created a turnover in the Leaf zone. And it had nothing to do with speed.

If he can continue to do that, he'll be just fine.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
i'd be surprised if johansson played - didn't even travel. if JD is out, paul carey goes in.

Johansson is unlikely to play but it's still a possibility if he is feeling much better. From the B's website:

Marcus Johansson, meanwhile, missed Game 2 with an illness and did not travel with the team to Toronto. He could meet the group on Monday.

"Johansson is still under the weather, so he won't be on the plane today. We're gonna keep him away from the guys," said Cassidy. "Still want to dress our best lineup. Will be a little bit more of where is he? He can not be sick anymore, but weak…if it's a 24-48 hour thing and he's flying around, we'd consider more strongly putting him in."

B's Ramped Up Physicality in Game 2

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Na, they won't wanna flu everyone with him on the plane. It's fine.

They have more than enough depth to make up for it for a few games. Doesn't sound yet like any injuries are for much more than that (outside of Miller which is still a mystery).

No mystery about Killer- he's got a broken kneecap

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ask Cassidy - No player on Boston had more hits last night and Backes only saw 4 min of total ice time.
Not saying he shouldn't have gotten SOME more minutes, but don't be fooled by the "4 hits".

The reason he had 4 hits is because TOR had the puck a ton when he was on the ice. He was a -34.8 CorsiRel %. The B's had 2 shots with him on the ice and gave up 8.

Reactions: Estlin

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Not saying he shouldn't have gotten SOME more minutes, but don't be fooled by the "4 hits".

The reason he had 4 hits is because TOR had the puck a ton when he was on the ice. He was a -34.8 CorsiRel %. The B's had 2 shots with him on the ice and gave up 8.

Toronto has the pick of ton in the first period against all 4 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad