Player Discussion David Backes V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I love David Backes the person. Seems like a natural leader and just a good guy, but man he's so frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Blowfish

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Well tonight often I saw on the same line the three guys I hear are useless constantly on these boards 20-55-42 . Of course not from everyone and to different degrees on each guy .

I certainly didn't see them getting dominated like the three lousy players they apparently are lol . I will say it again these guy don't hurt us at all. I dont see these guys losing their job to any of the call up guys this year . One of them will have to sit when we have thirteen healthy forwards but that is a compliment to our team that we are that strong.

I am not stupid I get the fact Backes isn't worth the cash and Nordstrom doesn't add a lot of offense . I really dont think the acciari hate is as big and not really sure how anyone could since about the twenty thirty game mark of the season so I won't bother defending him .

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Honestly if you swap out him and Wagner I think he’s an ok 4th liner and I think Wagner has shown the ability to be a 3rd liner. Some silky mittens at times. Didn’t see that coming

Reactions: bbfan419

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
The ironic thing about the Backes bashing is when the Bruins win the Cup this year, you wouldn’t of won it without his signing. Bruins missed playoffs 2 years in row before his arrival and without him it would of been 3 years in a row of missing post-season. The last 2 years you would cry that without Dave in your lineup that no one would hit on your team. Like it or not he’s been a good addition to the roster, a good leader and exemplemary figure for the kids that have joined the team. The Bruins style of play is now a meat and potatoe grind it out style that will outwork it’s opponent. It’s a team built for the playoffs. You can keep hating on Dave all you want but I guarantee you don’t win the Cup without his addition to the team.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
If Backes were not in the lineup, Boston wouldn’t miss a beat. He’s incidental to the team’s success.

You miss the point. Your team has reinvented themselves during his tenure. He is part of the transitition and his presence on the team is impactful. The Bruins style of play is in his mold, it’s a lunch bucket style that relies on hard work and commitment. Only certain players have the characteristic to lead the way, and he’s one of them. You don’t think it’s important but it is when your talking about the growth of a team and cultivating team play.

Reactions: hrdpuk and CDJ

aguineapig

Twas' the spring of 97 and i was at peak B's depression. Dead last finish and despite 1st and 8th picks to restore the faith a bit frustration to say the very least. Hoping draft lottery wouldn't finish me off, ad in paper Sign up for Greater Portland Roller Hockey! Lacking funds to finance proper mid life crisis, i took my beat up roller blades i skated around in with kids and through my stick in. Haven't played in 25 years these kids were flying by me like Hal Gill on one skate and i remember thinking Damn ain't this humbling! Next season team loaded up with buddy's so i join up with some kids I had as customers at my work. We won a few, lost a few and then playoffs.Play till you lose and suddenly were in finals. Bone tired all the kids thought i might keel but we keep it close and with about five minutes to go I walked in and tied it with a wrister Johnny Pierson would have been proud of, and damned if we didn't t win it in final minute.In the handshake line kid says "you guys don't even know how to play" I just grinned, shook his hand and no was all i said.Hope ole Davey gets that moment this spring!

Reactions: bbfan419

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If Backes were not in the lineup, Boston wouldn’t miss a beat. He’s incidental to the team’s success.
I remember two seasons where the team faded late and fell out of playoff contention in the last weeks. Then they signed Backes and they haven't had that problem since. He's worth more to the team than his 6 goals, thats for sure.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
You miss the point. Your team has reinvented themselves during his tenure. He is part of the transitition and his presence on the team is impactful. The Bruins style of play is in his mold, it’s a lunch bucket style that relies on hard work and commitment. Only certain players have the characteristic to lead the way, and he’s one of them. You don’t think it’s important but it is when your talking about the growth of a team and cultivating team play.

Even if Boston has "reinvented" itself during his tenure, which I don't buy, I highly doubt that it's because of Backes. Several factors have gone into making the Bruins the team that it is today. I contend that Backes is a minimal factor.

I remember two seasons where the team faded late and fell out of playoff contention in the last weeks. Then they signed Backes and they haven't had that problem since. He's worth more to the team than his 6 goals, thats for sure.

And that's because of Backes? :laugh: How on earth do you jump to that conclusion? That's a heckuva unfounded correlation. You appear to be the strongest defender of Backes on this board, but writing what you did is a stretch, even for you.

Reactions: smack66

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like Backes the person, really liked him as a player when he was with the Blues, and even his first season here was decent, but now I just don't see what he brings- the Bruins have veteran leadership in spades, so it isn't that he is crucial in that respect. He is just a non-factor. He doesn't really hurt the team in his current role except for the cap and roster spot, but doesn't seem to do much to help either.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I like Backes the person, really liked him as a player when he was with the Blues, and even his first season here was decent, but now I just don't see what he brings- the Bruins have veteran leadership in spades, so it isn't that he is crucial in that respect. He is just a non-factor. He doesn't really hurt the team in his current role except for the cap and roster spot, but doesn't seem to do much to help either.

He went from a 40-50 pt player to a 20-30 pt player. All in one season.

Real shame he has 2 years left at 6 mil after this.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
And that's because of Backes? :laugh: How on earth do you jump to that conclusion? That's a heckuva unfounded correlation. You appear to be the strongest defender of Backes on this board, but writing what you did is a stretch, even for you.
He's undoubtedly part of it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The ironic thing about the Backes bashing is when the Bruins win the Cup this year, you wouldn’t of won it without his signing. Bruins missed playoffs 2 years in row before his arrival and without him it would of been 3 years in a row of missing post-season. The last 2 years you would cry that without Dave in your lineup that no one would hit on your team. Like it or not he’s been a good addition to the roster, a good leader and exemplemary figure for the kids that have joined the team. The Bruins style of play is now a meat and potatoe grind it out style that will outwork it’s opponent. It’s a team built for the playoffs. You can keep hating on Dave all you want but I guarantee you don’t win the Cup without his addition to the team.

Yeah no. He's been terrible here, especially when you factor in the contract and the sheer number of chances he's gotten on the top 2 lines.

And let me be straight about this. It's not hate on the guy, it's literally about how ineffective his game has become. That's it. If the Bruins win the cup this year, it will in fact be despite David Backes and not because of him. I get you're a Blues fan and you saw him when he was still good. but he's simply not that guy anymore. At all.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Even if Boston has "reinvented" itself during his tenure, which I don't buy, I highly doubt that it's because of Backes. Several factors have gone into making the Bruins the team that it is today. I contend that Backes is a minimal factor.

Bruins colored goggles that are so think they can double as blinders?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Literally one of the most laughable posts I've read here during the entire 17 years I've been on this site. :laugh:

Reactions: Pia8988

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

You forget the human element a player brings to a team. Setting an example, creating the right habits, exemplifying the work ethic, these are huge factors. Those who don't see this are looking at the game thru PS4 eyes and not realizing what it takes to comprise a team. The Blues missed his azz and the locker room fell apart. The only thing that saved this season was Coach Berube who in effect became the de facto leader and he put an end to the divided locker room the Blues had. To discount Backes to what he's brought to the team mentality and locker room is short sighted. You really think the Bruins would be better if they had brought back Loui Erickson? A nice perimeter player who floats outside?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He went from a 40-50 pt player to a 20-30 pt player. All in one season.

Real shame he has 2 years left at 6 mil after this.

When it was Beleskey, and definitely Hayes, I just wanted to see the back of them. I feel awful for Backes at some level. He works hard out there and it is obvious that he still wants to be a difference maker. It is probably worse for him knowing that at one time, and not that long ago, he was that difference maker. Now he is just a 4th line grinder that can eat 10-12 minutes a night without hurting the team and not much else.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
FFS, now we are going to get inundated with Blues fans coming in to tell us why Backes is so good? f***. That. Noise.

He's been an albatross around the neck of whatever line he's played on. He's grossly overpaid, and wildly ineffective. Love the guy's heart, but it's simply time for him to ride off into the sunset. He had a great career in STL, but it simply hasn't gone well in Boston and the game has bypassed him through no fault of his own. Tough to see, but time to go.

Reactions: Pia8988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->