Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sure - Pasta was a -4 in November, Marchand a -3 Bergeron -2. What a pack of bums compared to Backes who was even. That how it works?

Give it a rest my man

Yeah, no. See, here's the issue with your logic. You can easily point to a 4 or 5 game span for Marchand and Pasta (or really anyone on the team) and say they didn't perform all that great during it, but the rest of the season both have been playing at a very high level.

Now to what you did specifically. You pointed to a 5 game span and said Backes was playing well, but when you dig into it, he wasn't. He was just playing better than the bag of shit we call the rest of his season to this point. So that 5 game stretch you pointed to for Backes was literally the best he's been all year, and it was still sub par and not very good. Just better than him doing zero.

I get that you don't want to hear and seem to have an aversion to reality, but in all honesty, Backes has been terrible. Complete fact. Period. End of statement.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the life of me I cannot understand why, given his own concussion issues, he would hit another player like this. Unless Coleman did something to him & Backes decided to retaliate. :(

Because he's literally lost out there and trying to do anything he can to contribute. Sad part is that he's actually making it worse.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't mind the punishment.

IMO, any and all headshots should result in suspensions, whether there was a penalty or not, whether it was intentional or not.

That said, the DOPS is very inconsistent and frustrating.

He did it. The only place he made contact with was the guy's head. He's been suspended before for this same kind of thing. What is the league supposed to do in a case like this (DoPS inconsistency aside)? The guy is a previous offender, and delivered a blatant head shot that given the distance he had to cover to deliver it, was clearly predatory. So he gets a suspension. Makes complete sense to me. He did it, he gets to deal with the punishment.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah, no. See, here's the issue with your logic. You can easily point to a 4 or 5 game span for Marchand and Pasta (or really anyone on the team) and say they didn't perform all that great during it, but the rest of the season both have been playing at a very high level.

Now to what you did specifically. You pointed to a 5 game span and said Backes was playing well, but when you dig into it, he wasn't. He was just playing better than the bag of **** we call the rest of his season to this point. So that 5 game stretch you pointed to for Backes was literally the best he's been all year, and it was still sub par and not very good. Just better than him doing zero.

I get that you don't want to hear and seem to have an aversion to reality, but in all honesty, Backes has been terrible. Complete fact. Period. End of statement.
Sure

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
A little bit of love for Backes :)

I know it's not a popular opinion here because of his salary, but I like what Backes brings. He is an expensive 3rd or 4th liner but he is a very good one. He can deliver big body checks and I'm sure he brings a decent dose of leadership.

He has a good wrist shot, as displayed by the goal that he just scored. I wish he scored more often. But despite the lack of scoring, I prefer to have him in the lineup than out of it.

Let's hope that goal means good luck for 2019 for him :thumbu:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t think motivation has ever been an issue for Backes. I’m sure there is a pride factor but IMO it’s been more of a luck and health deal. He’s been a solid player lately. As he’s been able to work his way back he’s gotten better and better. Not the first time somebody has needed time back from a concussion. Hopefully he can keep what we’ve seen from him lately up. He’s an expensive Swiss Army knife but Swiss Army knives can be useful

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
A lot of players are gelling , Backas is one of them . I'm very excited watching the team mold together through our injury infested season
Look at defence , decimated with injury and there is only one team that has let in less goals than us , and only by one goal , in the entire League .Got a good feeling going into the final 40 games or so , and Backas plays his part in that good feeling

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I had pretty much given him up for dead after he came back from that concussion and just looked terrible. He really seemed cooked, like the game and injuries had caught up with him. I am glad to have been mistaken. He is playing really well, and looks a lot like the player we thought we were getting when he signed the deal. It is easy to forget that pretty insane number of incidents he has had as a Bruin with the health problems, injuries, and suspensions.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not surprising that he’s playing well, just needed to get his legs back under him after the injuries (notably the concussion).

He’s still an effective player. Contract is certainly bad but that’s unrestricted free agency for ya.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Nordy looked way better on the 3rd line, he created turnovers with his speed and forecheck and kept up to JDB. Now they only score individually on the power play or the one lucky empty ice line change. Not sure where he fits, the 3rd and 4th line look better without him.

I think the Blues could use his experience and leadership right about now. Include him in any Schenn deal. Krech does not want to play a dump and chase game or have him go offside every other rush. Once he stops skating it is like a tanker truck starting up again. He may just waive everything to go back and help straighten out his old team and retire a Blue

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A lot of players are gelling , Backas is one of them . I'm very excited watching the team mold together through our injury infested season
Look at defence , decimated with injury and there is only one team that has let in less goals than us , and only by one goal , in the entire League .Got a good feeling going into the final 40 games or so , and Backas plays his part in that good feeling

Its really too bad the injuries

Most older players with certain skill level never retire because they cant play... most retire cause it takes too much to stay healthy... recovery time slows down... and of course family becomes more important when kids are teens

If he can stay healthy i still have faith he can play

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've long been a supporter of Backes, but it's been painful watching him go up and down the wing. Dare I say it, he's been Jimmy Hayes-ish lately. He's not playing physical because he can't get there in time. He's become the king of the dump-in, and on the rush he's often behind the play.

Much like Acciari (another skating-challenged player) has looked better in the middle, the only spot I see Backes really being impactful is maybe taking Acciari's spot centering the 4th line. That way he can us his smarts and positioning and strength to battle down low in his own zone (3 things he still brings to the table).

But it will never happen because Cassidy would just put Kuraly back in the middle if Acciari wasn't on that line, even though Kuraly has looked MUCH better as a winger.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I've long been a supporter of Backes, but it's been painful watching him go up and down the wing. Dare I say it, he's been Jimmy Hayes-ish lately. He's not playing physical because he can't get there in time. He's become the king of the dump-in, and on the rush he's often behind the play.

Much like Acciari (another skating-challenged player) has looked better in the middle, the only spot I see Backes really being impactful is maybe taking Acciari's spot centering the 4th line. That way he can us his smarts and positioning and strength to battle down low in his own zone (3 things he still brings to the table).

But it will never happen because Cassidy would just put Kuraly back in the middle if Acciari wasn't on that line, even though Kuraly has looked MUCH better as a winger.

Ha was just coming here to ask if Backes would replace Acciari, replace Wagner or be in the 9th floor when they trade for a #2RW. I came to the same conclusion that 4C is his best spot. Kuraly has to stay at LW.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Ha was just coming here to ask if Backes would replace Acciari, replace Wagner or be in the 9th floor when they trade for a #2RW. I came to the same conclusion that 4C is his best spot. Kuraly has to stay at LW.
If the Bruins add 2 players, say a 3rd line C and a 2nd line RW. I do not see a spot for Backes, he cannot play over Nordy or even the way Acciari has played lately.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Backes almost has twice the offensive production Nordstrom does in fewer games. For a team needing offense that does matter.

Backes was bad last night, no debating that. He had been playing pretty well for a few weeks. Hopefully he gets back to that because when he plays like that he’s an asset to the team. However when he plays like last night he’s a clear liability.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

And Wagner is a better player (and much better winger) than Acciari.

Kuraly - Backes - Wagner is what I'd go with but doubtful Cassidy goes this route.

Reactions: CDJ and shoulders7

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
REALITY ALERT

Our favorite whipping boy david backes has been recovering from concusion and intestine recovery the past year... in his last 82 games hes been on 3rd/4th line getting around 14 mins a night... throwing around 190 hits... faceoff % around 54%

And 16 goals/25 assists for 41 points

Remind me again why these results arent damn good for a 3rd liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad