Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
he's buyout proof due to the structure of his contract. we've speculated that maybe if he gets his bonus
this summer, you can wheel him somewhere that needs a good sized cap hit. or maybe he decides
to "hang them up" due to concussions and just collect his money. either way it's a disaster and a
complete waste of $6M for the next 2.5 years

It's at that point now isn't it?

I don't see how he has any value left to this team as a RWer, even on the 4th line. You need straight line speed to play wing in today's NHL. He simply doesn't have it.

He's still a better player than Noel Acciari. Acciari has no straight line speed either, which is why he's been more effective in the middle.

Make Backes the 4th line defensive C who can win face-offs and defend down low. That and his leadership qualities are all he has left to offer from what I can tell.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I don't see how he has any value left to this team as a RWer, even on the 4th line. You need straight line speed to play wing in today's NHL. He simply doesn't have it.

He's still a better player than Noel Acciari. Acciari has no straight line speed either, which is why he's been more effective in the middle.

Make Backes the 4th line defensive C who can win face-offs and defend down low. That and his leadership qualities are all he has left to offer from what I can tell.

Prefer he not be on the team in fact I would take Cave over him however if he needs to play he should be as you recommended on the 4th line playing C.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i've long thought he'd be fine in the middle, but cassidy doesn't agree. they've tried it a few times
in totally desperate situations but aside from that, the bench boss seems to not be in favor of that.
i concur that he'd be better than acciari in that role, but i don't even think it gets to that point.
you still have kuraly, wagner and even nordstrom who can/likely will play center before backes.
when he signed i thought last 2 years of deal would be a problem, but he's been mostly useless throughout his tenure. sad!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i've long thought he'd be fine in the middle, but cassidy doesn't agree. they've tried it a few times
in totally desperate situations but aside from that, the bench boss seems to not be in favor of that.
i concur that he'd be better than acciari in that role, but i don't even think it gets to that point.
you still have kuraly, wagner and even nordstrom who can/likely will play center before backes.
when he signed i thought last 2 years of deal would be a problem, but he's been mostly useless throughout his tenure. sad!

I thought his first year was underrated. He wasn't terrible, wasn't great. I thought he looked good with 63/37 late in the year, and was one of the better Bruins in the playoffs against Ottawa.

2nd year once the calendar hit 2018, he's been brutal for the most part ever since, it's not all his fault, he's had some awful luck during his tenure here.

Your right about Cassidy though, he certainly doesn't concur with my viewpoint that he has more value on the ice playing in the middle than he does the wing, so it's probably a moot point.

It's a real pickle for the coaching staff. He's a leader on this team, wears an "A". That's a tough player to scratch. I'm not sure what the solution is if they won't use him in the 4th line C position. I think he's a flat out lousy winger at this point.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
This.

I don't think any of them even a hot Kuraly are good enough to move up in the lineup and make a difference. Sure they can fill in in a pinch. Their value is playing together since that 4th line is like a 3rd right now.

It would be insane to mess with it. If that means Backes has to sit that is fine.

For whatever reason, despite Acciari's struggles at times this season, that line is greater than the sum of its parts right now. Don't mess with it until they cool off.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It's a real pickle for the coaching staff. He's a leader on this team, wears an "A". That's a tough player to scratch. I'm not sure what the solution is if they won't use him in the 4th line C position. I think he's a flat out lousy winger at this point.

sorta like ference in edmonton. with half the deal left, backes could easily find himself exiled eventually.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
he's buyout proof due to the structure of his contract. we've speculated that maybe if he gets his bonus
this summer, you can wheel him somewhere that needs a good sized cap hit. or maybe he decides
to "hang them up" due to concussions and just collect his money. either way it's a disaster and a
complete waste of $6M for the next 2.5 years.

Spot on.... I know David doesn't want to leave money on the table... but if he gets benched for 50% of the games the rest of the year (entirely possible)... he might consider it. He's got a lot of pride and he knows the game is passing him by. His comment after his suspension was something like "if I don't hit people I'm pretty useless".

I'm hesitant to offer pretty much anyone whose around the age of 30 big money in FA anymore. Hopefully Donny is too. If you look at the past 5 years or so.... LOTS of bad deals. It's a young mans game and a fast mans game. Draft and develop.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

At the end sounds like.... put me back on the 4th line. Simple north south game will make me look faster ;)

Reactions: BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Rather he be there than Acciari any day.

why?

Acciari has played strong hockey as of late

he dumps and chase better than Backes. And actually comes away with the puck.... that whole line has been a menace

Backes does have better hands (if he gets a chance which is slim these days).... but overall Acciari and that 4th line overall are in sync

no point of touching it

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
why?

Acciari has played strong hockey as of late

he dumps and chase better than Backes. And actually comes away with the puck.... that whole line has been a menace

Backes does have better hands (if he gets a chance which is slim these days).... but overall Acciari and that 4th line overall are in sync

no point of touching it
this is where I am at, Acciari right now is the better option

Reactions: rocketdan9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m fine w keeping this 4th line in-tact as is. They’ve been great lately

If (probably more like when) it cools off you sub Acciari out for Backes.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Per Cassidy

Wagner Kuraly Backes

Acciari sits

This is irritating to see that Wagner will have to shift to his off-wing, and Kuraly will need to shift back to the middle (where he's less effective) so that Backes can go on the RW (where his lack of straight-line speed is exposed).

Just put Backes in the middle and leave the other two where they were. Simple.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This is irritating to see that Wagner will have to shift to his off-wing, and Kuraly will need to shift back to the middle (where he's less effective) so that Backes can go on the RW (where his lack of straight-line speed is exposed).

Just put Backes in the middle and leave the other two where they were. Simple.

Backes is not trusted by Cassidy as a center

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Backes is not trusted by Cassidy as a center

Yeah I know.

I think he's wrong. I think Backes as a winger here in the 2019 version of NHL hockey absolutely sucks and his remaining skill-set would be much better utilized as a big strong defensive center who can win face-offs (he's over 56% this year).

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad