Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
this.

as entertaining as flash and skill is, in the playoffs you need guys like Backes. Time and space disappear and it comes down to fight and effort. You dont win without blue collar guys willing to go out there and pay the price to make a play.
Kindly cut and paste this post into the Great Fight Debate thread. I think both sides of the aisle would agree with it!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So Backes addresses the team after the first period last night after taking a skate to the face and they came out flying scoring 4 straight goals. There is definitely a place for that leadership and toughness on this team. He may be a third or fourth line player at this point in his career, but there is a spot for him on this team. Guy is heart, guts, and balls.

Is it confirmed that he spoke up after the first period? I haven’t been digging for info lately but this wouldn’t surprise me, and i think it’s exactly what a young and wounded team needs.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Is it confirmed that he spoke up after the first period? I haven’t been digging for info lately but this wouldn’t surprise me, and i think it’s exactly what a young and wounded team needs.
Quote from Marchand I believe in the post game thread

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Brad Marchand Jokes About David Backes’ Looks After Taking Skate To Face

“Always scary when you see a teammate get a skate in the face, or really anywhere,” Marchand said. “He looks a little prettier now and he came back, he’s fine. He’s a warrior, so good to see him back out there.”
A busted face also apparently didn’t stop Backes from addressing the locker room after the first period, which concluded with the Coyotes leading 2-0. Marchand has great respect for Backes as a leader, but praise from Marchand, of course, can’t come without jokes.
“He’s very good at that. He’s very vocal and loves to hear himself speak,” Marchand said. “No, he’s great at that. He’s a great leader, he has been for a long time. We’re just trying to piggyback off him.”

That must have been some speech!!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
it sure did look frightening, I was streaming (legally of course) the game and it was the Yotes broadcast and I was appalled how often they showed the replay, I watched the first one because their broadcast team wasn`t yet sure what happened, then the other 2-3 they showed I had to look away as I really have no interest in watching something like that repeatedly

I honestly thought he would end up being taken to the hospital, given how fast he got off the ice and headed down the tunnel. I only needed to see it once to know it was bad.

This is the second time in two seasons he's been cut by a skate blade and both times he got off easy compared to what might have been.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
One thing : Backes since coming in Boston is unlucky as hell. I like his resilience. I like the player and how he fights back from everything he needed to go thru. If he can have a bit of luck and health he will be capable of having momentum.

He never had any chance since his arrival in Boston du to health issus, concussions and injuries to get things going his way.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
A few of my thoughts about the 34 year old….

He Played 99 games in 20015/16, that is a lot, and then he spent his next 6 weeks in an awkward Limbo. After signing on July 1st, he and his family would have less than 2 months to pack up ten years of their life and move to Boston before he would leave for the World Cup. The time he spent at the World Cup left him two weeks late to his first Bruins training camp. This type of disjointed off-season was clearly not the “best case scenario” for his start in Boston.

Season 1 (Compressed schedule)
Bursa Sac Surgery
Concussion
Coaching change

Still, his 225 hits led the team by a lot and he produced at a .514 /gm rate, just shy of his 2015/16 pace. The eye test was different though, he looked slow, tired and lost at times. I thought he showed improvement in the playoffs.

In his first full off-season in Boston he aggressively losses 10+lbs and comes to camp trim, rested and ready.

Season 2
Diverticulitis – (which can be triggered by significant weight loss)
Colon Surgery
Suspended for 3 games
Leg laceration from skate
Concussion

Despite having 10” of his colon removed and suffering a cut deep enough for 2 layers of stitches he was still tied for 2nd in hits per game (2.41) and improved his production to .579/gm, closer to his career average. Eye test - WARRIOR

This off season he was still acknowledging post-concussion symptoms well into August, yet he shows up to camp down another 10~lbs and ready to go. Of course, he has already suffered another concussion and that nasty skate to the face this season.

This guy is a warrior and a true leader. He is worth every penny in my mind, even/especially with all of his injuries.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

He Played 99 games in 20015/16, that is a lot, and then he spent his next 6 weeks in an awkward Limbo. After signing on July 1st, he and his family would have less than 2 months to pack up ten years of their life and move to Boston before he would leave for the World Cup. The time he spent at the World Cup left him two weeks late to his first Bruins training camp. This type of disjointed off-season was clearly not the “best case scenario” for his start in Boston.

Bursa Sac Surgery
Concussion
Coaching change

Still, his 225 hits led the team by a lot and he produced at a .514 /gm rate, just shy of his 2015/16 pace. The eye test was different though, he looked slow, tired and lost at times. I thought he showed improvement in the playoffs.

In his first full off-season in Boston he aggressively losses 10+lbs and comes to camp trim, rested and ready.

Season 2
Colon Surgery
Suspended for 3 games
Concussion

Despite having 10” of his colon removed and suffering a cut deep enough for 2 layers of stitches he was still tied for 2nd in hits per game (2.41) and improved his production to .579/gm, closer to his career average. Eye test - WARRIOR

This off season he was still acknowledging post-concussion symptoms well into August, yet he shows up to camp down another 10~lbs and ready to go. Of course, he has already suffered another concussion and that nasty skate to the face this season.

This guy is a warrior and a true leader. He is worth every penny in my mind, even/especially with all of his injuries.
Just spot on. But imwoudn’t be a good GM... i simply like our heart and soul guys and Backes is one of them.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Bursa Sac Surgery
Concussion
Coaching change

Season 2
Colon Surgery
Suspended for 3 games
Concussion

Yup

And and you could factor in the decrease in pp time from what he saw in STL as well.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
Lucky for me the way I perceive his salary breakdown allows me to be 100% ok with this deal.

…He makes $2m/yr. for wearing the “A” the way he does, he is really good at it.

…He makes $2m/yr. to hit everything he gets near, He has 407 hits with the Bruins.

…The last $2m/yr. is for points and minutes and despite some serious injuries/surgeries he has still put up decent numbers to justify that $2m.

I’m fine with this deal and I look forward to seeing what David can do when/if he gets some good luck with his health.

Reactions: BMC

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland

Bursa Sac Surgery
Concussion
Coaching change

Season 2
Colon Surgery
Suspended for 3 games
Concussion

Man. They should introduce an award for that kind of performance. Call it the "Not Jonathan Quick Award"

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Bursa Sac Surgery
Concussion
Coaching change

Season 2
Colon Surgery
Suspended for 3 games
Concussion

Great post!

I don't agree that he has been worth the 6mil price tag, but he definitely is worth more to this team than he is by buying bought out or traded.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Y'know, it's kind of odd though, that players will be penalized for not being in control of their sticks – no leeway – but they don't get penalized for not being in control of the sharp metal blades attached to their feet.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Backes last year and this (through all the injuries and illnesses).
83 games 17 goals 22 assists 39 pts

Brandon Saad last year
82 games 18 goals 17 assists 35 points

Backes AvgTOI: 14.33
Saad AvgTOI: 17.43

(AvgTOI over last two seasons)

Now I’m not arguing who is the better player right now, but all of the above is certainly interesting.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I'm just really happy he is finding his game. Backes is a warrior and it sucks to see him struggle. With everyone healthy I'm feeling really good about a bottom 6 that looks like

Heinen-JFK-Donato
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Backes

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Warms my damn heart to see this much positive Backes talk

He’s been great as of late. With Chara and Bergeron being out his leadership has been critical

I Can’t help but be impressed by his resilience. Same goes for the team itself

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
DB playing some very good hockey, I have begun consumption of the crow I have prepared by smoking it lightly with beautiful honey wood chips, topped with a home made dipping sauce which I can`t reveal here or I`d have to hurt ya:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad