Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Multiple anonymous quotes from NHL GM's saying now that Tippett is in charge, as opposed to Maloney, that the Coyotes will now "do things the stupid way", and that ownership seems, "unreasonably enamored with him".

But let me guess Jake, the Hockey News was just speculating, and we have absolutely no way of knowing what goes on behind the scenes, right?

Yup, just like the rest of us.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka being the GM, in a vacuum, is not something I hate.

The utterly unqualified Drummond assuming the Presidency of HOCKEY Operations is a terrifying indication of how these guys are going to do business.

Rewarding Tippett with a five year extension and a VP title after losing for four straight seasons is also very, very troubling. Why not wait and see how he performs next season? If he continues to suck, maybe you don't have to extend him for another half decade.

Speaking of waiting, why not wait to name Chayka GM until you've been able to speak with all of these AGMs you're waiting on. Chayka wasn't going to quit because you let him keep his AGM job and gave the GM job to a more qualified candidate. Then you have Chayka AND a better manager rather than Chayka INSTEAD of a better manager.

I don't think there would have been any harm in waiting. Let's see who they hire for AGM and go from there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Name 2 things, that aren't some kind of arbitrary, intangible ******** that Dave Tippett or you made up. How about an actual statistic?

There is more to analytics and a hockey player than +/-. If that is all there is to it, even you could be a GM.

Jake, are you implying that they lied about interviewing other NHL execs?

I didn't say that.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Could you expand on why you think it's pretty clear that DM was the problem?

I asked that same thing hours ago and never got a response. I don't think there is anything clear about it, he just has to back his "side" of things.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
There is more to analytics and a hockey player than +/-. If that is all there is to it, even you could be a GM.

And what is that exactly? Duke's normal stats are great, the eyeball test looks good, his actual offensive production is very good, and his advanced statistics and possession stats are some of the best on the team. What more is there exactly, other than some stuff Dave "incapable of making the playoffs for half a decade" Tippett made up?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Could you expand on why you think it's pretty clear that DM was the problem?

I thought DM and DT did an outstanding job since they arrived dealing with everything.You need tools to be successful in any business and they were never were given all the tools.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And what is that exactly? Duke's normal stats are great, the eyeball test looks good, his actual offensive production is very good, and his advanced statistics and possession stats are some of the best on the team. What more is there exactly, other than some stuff Dave "incapable of making the playoffs for half a decade" Tippett made up?

It has been explained several times by different posters. Ask Bonsai or Cobra maybe they have the time to explain it to you again, I don't.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
My favorite thing from reading this today was I learned that Dave Tippet refers to draft prospects as "amateurs". Like they're still playing in some backwoods Jr. A circuit of Canada in the 50's. Forget the Europeans who sign pro contracts, forget the CHL guys who receive a stipend (admittedly small); they're all "amateurs" in Dave's eyes. And yes, he uses the French pronunciation.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It has been explained several times by different posters. Ask Bonsai or Cobra maybe they have the time to explain it to you again, I don't.

It has been said by one of you three posters, but never explained. There's a difference. Is there any proof that he was a liability? Nope. I can certainly name a few vets that lacked his skills but made just as many mistakes.

It isn't that you don't have time Jakey, it is that you can't actually explain it.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I threw up in my mouth when I watched the press conference.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

OK, I'l give it a whack. I always liked "Whack a Mole".

Duclair's stats are inflated because Tippet protected him from the players who could take advantage of his inexperience. Limiting his play against top lines was the right thing to do. Next year he's going to go up against #1 lines instead of sitting while Domi and Hanzal played with another wing who was more defensively reliable. He better have learned well this year or his stats will suffer as his TOI goes up.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm over being upset. It's already happened.

Just gotta see what happens. Who knows maybe it works.

This is where I'm at.

Kind of thinking about other prospects I like a lot and what teams they are in case the franchise goes back to the dark ages...

If they somehow pull this off then the Coyotes may revolutionize the structure of the modern NHL franchise. However, that sounds like a longshot because it is one.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I seriously thought this was a troll thread created by a poster from this board that was bitter about the GM situation.

This is ludicrous. I have zero faith in ownership or "management".

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
My favorite thing from reading this today was I learned that Dave Tippet refers to draft prospects as "amateurs". Like they're still playing in some backwoods Jr. A circuit of Canada in the 50's. Forget the Europeans who sign pro contracts, forget the CHL guys who receive a stipend (admittedly small); they're all "amateurs" in Dave's eyes. And yes, he uses the French pronunciation.

This is one of the scariest things about Tippett's rise to power. :(

Our only hope is that his contempt for "amateurs" is so great, he doesnt actually think they're worth anything. You can just imagine other GM's salivating over the idea of offering a bunch of third line seasoned "professionals" for the likes of Dvorak, Fischer, MacInnis, Letunov.. they'll already be buddying up to Tippett sending him congratulatory messages on his new contract.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
We should all adopt Tippett's face as our avatars. Tippett everywhere, like Chairman Mao.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Didn't the team pretty much fall out of the playoff race because of that... 8 game losing streak? I guess that's the general manager's fault.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think this has been reported yet. From the Globe and Mail:

"It’s believed his new five-year contract allows him to be elevated into the role of president down the road."

... At least he's not "new to hockey, per se".

Perhaps this fits the speculation here that the future plan is Pres Tipp and new head coach Newell Brown.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
OK, I'l give it a whack. I always liked "Whack a Mole".

Duclair's stats are inflated because Tippet protected him from the players who could take advantage of his inexperience. Limiting his play against top lines was the right thing to do. Next year he's going to go up against #1 lines instead of sitting while Domi and Hanzal played with another wing who was more defensively reliable. He better have learned well this year or his stats will suffer as his TOI goes up.

Agreed. It is Dukes play when he doesn't have the puck or we aren't on the rush, 90% of hit TOI, that needed improvement. Duke got better and Tip didn't expose him against the best lines. As he improves, his ice time will go up. Not sure why posters don't get this. Try watching a player without the puck/on D/in the neutral zone, you'll get a better overall perspective.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Congratulations to Dave Tippett for this. A masterpiece.

Dave has managed to gain total power and a FIVE year extension out of four years of failure.

Move over David Copperfield: if the franchise ever relocates to Vegas, there will definitely be another show in town with DAVE THE ANALYTIPP.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Salary is $4 million a year according to Adrian Datar. Double his previous money.

Have one of the worst records over four years and get a massive raise with an extension. That's ****en hilarious. I almost hope this blows up in ownership's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad