Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I wonder if GMDM wasn't going to extend him and that was an issue with ownership. Maybe he was going to see if he could finally give us a winning season before extending him.

It's pretty hilarious all the coaches that are getting fired for missing the playoffs one year or making the playoffs, but not winning the SC. Ours has one of the worst records in the NHL over five years and he gets an extension. Worst organization in the NHL.

Hope we fail and the team moves. That's the only way things will get fixed.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Welp!

Pretty darn hard to justify the extension at this point in time. Did it come with a fancy new title too?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I think it's pretty clear that Don Maloney was the problem with this team.

If it is so clear. Explain it so we can have some clarity...

I didn't see Maloney coaching behind the bench, I saw someone get out coached regularly sitting our second best forward on the team, and holding no one on his coaching staff accountable. You're pitching a tent over an old boys club within our coaching staff. They are all safe from any repercussions. That doesn't really usually produce the best results.

We still play a very passive game while most teams have changed to a more aggressive game. We still have a coach that plays less talented vets over more talented young players. There isn't an innovative bone in DT's body, at least we haven't seen one in his entire time here.

So how is all of this Maloney's fault?

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Just when we all thought it couldn't get any worse...

I know others have said it, but it physically hurts me to try and comprehend that 4 years of **** hockey and playoff misses = 5 year extension.

Honestly might as well take a 5 year break and come back then praying Tip is gone so we can start the rebuild all over again, because this just ****s the whole thing up insanely.

Are they trying to make the fans hate the team so they can move it or something? Can't be any other explanation.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I can't believe it was for that long. I would've given it 1 year to see what happens with the changes. This is almost more pathetic then the COG.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Searching for a positive spin. Securing Tipp for 5 years, amidst the latest arena drama, sends a message of organization stability and helps in the pursuit of UFA's? Again, searching....

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Don Maloney wasn't perfect. Hell, anyone who knows anything about his tenure with the Islanders shuddered when he brought Darcy Regier back as his AGM here in Arizona. He was too conservative in free agency and he made some bad roster decisions.

But you're fooling yourself - or at least, drinking the IceArizona kool-aid - if you think Maloney was the problem with this team. This team has had the same problems for years, predating Maloney. And don't forget, the only playoff runs we've had since the team got to Glendale came from Maloney-built rosters.

Well, at any rate we'll know now for damn sure if Dave Tippett is good or bad for this team because he's the one calling all the shots except for the draft. He's the final say in terms of pro talent evaluation and player signings:

...so this team will be built exactly to his demands. So sink or swim, it will all be on Tippett from now on.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Searching for a positive spin. Securing Tipp for 5 years, amidst the latest arena drama, sends a message of organization stability and helps in the pursuit of UFA's? Again, searching....

The message it sends me is that ownership is perfectly content to draft between 7 and 14 for the next 5 years, and utterly waste OEL/Domi/Duke/Stromes contracts in the meantime.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Woke up with a text from a friend saying "5 more years of Tippett" and thought he was referencing the GM hiring.

Didn't realize it was a real thing until now. **** me. **** us. **** this.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Will be "limited"....limited to doing everything but drafting guys he wouldnt have played anyways. To think, pretty close to him opting out last year....

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don Maloney wasn't perfect. Hell, anyone who knows anything about his tenure with the Islanders shuddered when he brought Darcy Regier back as his AGM here in Arizona. He was too conservative in free agency and he made some bad roster decisions.

But you're fooling yourself - or at least, drinking the IceArizona kool-aid - if you think Maloney was the problem with this team. This team has had the same problems for years, predating Maloney. And don't forget, the only playoff runs we've had since the team got to Glendale came from Maloney-built rosters.

Well, at any rate we'll know now for damn sure if Dave Tippett is good or bad for this team because he's the one calling all the shots except for the draft. He's the final say in terms of pro talent evaluation and player signings:

...so this team will be built exactly to his demands. So sink or swim, it will all be on Tippett from now on.

5 year extensions to Chipchura, Grossman and Moss who comes back from Europe. :naughty:

Feb 12, 2003
When I saw this thread I was hoping it was about it last contract or something and it was just a necro-thread. Seeing this is actually current makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

All hail Lord Tippett - All hail Lord Tippett. May he be a benevolent ruler and have mercy on our souls.

Seriously though, I've lost all faith in the ownership of this team. Wake me when they sell.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Don Maloney did what was asked of him with what he had at his disposal. Pretending like the Coyotes would have been so much better off with anyone else is rich.

This is about a grumpy ass coach that refuses to swallow his pride lobbying a divided ownership to get his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad