Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Any time a high profile business tries a new strategy (group decisions/analytics/26 year old GM) they get criticized. IA could have shot DM/Tip/the entire coaching staff/Chayka and started over. They could have brought in an experienced assistant as GM/an experienced coach, retreads basically. Instead they are trying something different then anyone else. The usual naysayers don't think it will work, because its new. Maybe it works/maybe it doesn't, too early to tell.

One thing I have learned is that when the public (this fan base in this instance) is so against something, it usually is a good move and works out. Professional gamblers make a living with this thinking.

The same fans that hate Tip/26 year old as GM, will still hate them even if the Coyotes make the playoffs next year. One thing is clear now is Tip's involvement in personnel decisions. So if we land at 70 points next year, Tip will bet crucified. That is fine, but if we are at 100 points, he should get some much deserved credit, but he won't, not from most of this fan base, and that's too bad.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Playfair can kick rocks. If there is ANYTHING positive in all this, Playfair not returning would be just fine.

It sounds like Brown and Elkin have contracts that expired next summer, hence the extension talk. Playfair was signed to a "multi-year" extension last summer, so my guess is he's signed through next season. Maybe 2 years left on his deal? As such, no need to talk contract with him, and I'd bet that's why his name didn't come up. I don't think Playfair is going anywhere, unfortunately.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
One thing is clear now is Tip's involvement in personnel decisions. So if we land at 70 points next year, Tip will bet crucified. That is fine, but if we are at 100 points, he should get some much deserved credit, but he won't, not from most of this fan base, and that's too bad.

If Tip gets us into the playoffs with the roster next year after having 100% complete control of the process, then I will gladly eat crow. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

But there's nothing that was said or done today that gives me any indication that we're in for a fun, happy time this season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Tip gets us into the playoffs with the roster next year after having 100% complete control of the process, then I will gladly eat crow. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

But there's nothing that was said or done today that gives me any indication that we're in for a fun, happy time this season.

He could make the playoffs quite easily, given enough horrible trades. Making the playoffs without absolutely gutting the future of the team is another story.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
So if we land at 70 points next year, Tip will bet crucified. That is fine, but if we are at 100 points, he should get some much deserved credit, but he won't, not from most of this fan base, and that's too bad.

Tippett can have all the credit if we get 100pts next season without a doubt. But don't come in here and say he shouldn't be crucified when we get between 70-80 and the kids aren't playing or getting considerable minutes and Vermette is still playing on the PP.

I'm more angry at the Tippett extension for 5 f'ing years than I am with them trying something different with Chayka. I can live withe the Chayka attempt, he might be good. I know what I've got with Tippett and it's boring ass hockey. Dump and chase with a bunch of players who are possession players, but hey, we can only play 1 way.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Look forward to another half decade of failure and all of Tip's plebs on here kissing his ass anyways.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Any time a high profile business tries a new strategy (group decisions/analytics/26 year old GM) they get criticized. IA could have shot DM/Tip/the entire coaching staff/Chayka and started over. They could have brought in an experienced assistant as GM/an experienced coach, retreads basically. Instead they are trying something different then anyone else. The usual naysayers don't think it will work, because its new. Maybe it works/maybe it doesn't, too early to tell.

One thing I have learned is that when the public (this fan base in this instance) is so against something, it usually is a good move and works out. Professional gamblers make a living with this thinking.

The same fans that hate Tip/26 year old as GM, will still hate them even if the Coyotes make the playoffs next year. One thing is clear now is Tip's involvement in personnel decisions. So if we land at 70 points next year, Tip will bet crucified. That is fine, but if we are at 100 points, he should get some much deserved credit, but he won't, not from most of this fan base, and that's too bad.

I actually like Chayka. I dispise Tippet for very obvious reasons that have been explained dozens of times, and I question how some of you can justify his extension and support him after 4 years of disgusting hockey.

One thing's for sure, he's running the boat. If he gets us into playoffs then he'll get my credit. Nothing in his past 4 years has given me any reason to believe that he can do so, however.

I throw the same argument back at you. If we miss the playoffs for the 5th straight year with him calling all of the shots, and he continues to get credit from some of our posters, then that's too bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tippett can have all the credit if we get 100pts next season without a doubt. But don't come in here and say he shouldn't be crucified when we get between 70-80 and the kids aren't playing or getting considerable minutes and Vermette is still playing on the PP.

I'm more angry at the Tippett extension for 5 f'ing years than I am with them trying something different with Chayka. I can live withe the Chayka attempt, he might be good. I know what I've got with Tippett and it's boring ass hockey. Dump and chase with a bunch of players who are possession players, but hey, we can only play 1 way.

That was your same argument before last year started and DT proved most you guys wrong about playing kids.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I actually like Chayka. I dispise Tippet for very obvious reasons that have been explained dozens of times, and I question how some of you can justify his extension and support him after 4 years of disgusting hockey.

One thing's for sure, he's running the boat. If he gets us into playoffs then he'll get my credit. Nothing in his past 4 years has given me any reason to believe that he can do so, however.

I throw the same argument back at you. If we miss the playoffs for the 5th straight year with him calling all of the shots, and he continues to get credit from some of our posters, then that's too bad.

You know we are still in a rebuild, right? I don't expect to be in the playoffs next year, but they could be close. It's the third year I see huge results.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The next few years may be as bad as the TGO era.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He could trade every prospect in the system and make the playoffs comfortably. DT needs to make the playoffs without altering the trajectory of the franchise and its youth. The best way of doing that would be trades and signings. Shame you just put a rookie with zero experience in the hotseat.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Here's Tippett one-on-one with sycophant TV personality Matt McConnell:

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/dave-tippett-one-on-one/t-277437086/c-43862303

It's very interesting when he's asked about the Draft. His body language and phrasing made it seem like he didn't give a rat's ass about "amateur" players and that he was going to be focused on the pro scouts and free agency.

There are many ways you could interpret that - the most pessimistic, of course, is that he believes the prospect pool is up for grabs if it can get him players who can help him win next year. I'm hoping that is an incorrect assessment. :help:

avco

Feb 10, 2007
Ownership must be what PT Barnum was referring to with the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute".

DT, in my view, is a coach who only looks good when he is in a situation where it looks like he is performing miracles with his team (outworking other teams who have superior talent) Unfortunately this approach is nothing but an illusion from a long term perspective (our 1 good playoff run in the past few years being a perfect example). I have the same fears as others in that DT will mortgage the future long term viability of the club for a quick 1 - 2 year run to a first round playoff ousting (trade excellent young players/high draft picks for has been veteran players).

To those like Jakey53 DT will always be the ultimate coach but I see him as the ultimate con-artist, trying to pad his coaching resume to look better than what his true abilities really are. I don't think he knows how to coach players with real hockey talent. His time in Dallas was a testament to this.

Am awaiting the usual arrows of "you are being subjective" or "you have no proof. However there is an adage that you can tell what a person's future behavior will be like based on how he has performed in the past.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Can we not use the playoffs as the barometer for success? With how many teams make the playoff, not making it just means you are really freaking bad. I want them to build an exciting, talented team full of guys like Domi, Duclair and OEL that is fun to watch every night. A team full of Tippett cloans making the playoffs without legit talent to contend like all but one lucky run of playoffs under Tippett is not success in my book.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
He could trade every prospect in the system and make the playoffs comfortably. DT needs to make the playoffs without altering the trajectory of the franchise and its youth. The best way of doing that would be trades and signings. Shame you just put a rookie with zero experience in the hotseat.

Honestly I'm not even convinced he could get us in by mortgaging the future. We're not getting anything back for Domi/Duke that would significantly help more than they do right now imo. Leaves Strome/dvo, this year's 1st and other draft picks, maybe some spare parts. Not convinced he could get real winning pieces that would guarantee getting into the top 8 for that (remember he still has to play Chip and friends). I think it'd be close, but certainly not a given, and there's no way we just sell the entire farm in reality, haha.

Not sure what you mean by shame on me for putting a rookie with zero experience in the hotseat.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
You know we are still in a rebuild, right? I don't expect to be in the playoffs next year, but they could be close. It's the third year I see huge results.

I'm aware of what a rebuild is, yes. My issue is that it's being going for 4 years and we just signed up for another 5. How long you gonna use that excuse?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That was your same argument before last year started and DT proved most you guys wrong about playing kids.

Huh? Domi made it impossible not to play him. As for Duke, he was still getting less ice time than he deserved, no matter how well he played. It isn't like we had two average rookies out there. Why would DT get credit for Duke being so productive while not getting the TOI he deserved?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Huh? Domi made it impossible not to play him. As for Duke, he was still getting less ice time than he deserved, no matter how well he played. It isn't like we had two average rookies out there. Why would DT get credit for Duke being so productive while not getting the TOI he deserved?

Again, it's not all about production with rookies, it's about development, learning from your mistakes etc.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Third year? So four plus three, is three? Is this Tippet math?

Next year I expect to be at least a bubble team if not in the playoffs. All the while keeping all of our picks and our top prospects. If this guys starts trading our prospects/picks to add on aging players to scrape into the playoffs this team is destined to fail for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad