Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett signs 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think it's pretty clear that Don Maloney was the problem with this team.

There are many problems with this team. Maloney may have been one problem, but certainly not the only problem interfering with team success.

1. Relocation Cloud
2. Arena Cloud
3. Bare Bones budget until recently
4. Freckles is pissed that they're leaving Glendale :D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm aware of what a rebuild is, yes. My issue is that it's being going for 4 years and we just signed up for another 5. How long you gonna use that excuse?

Where do you get 4 yrs. from? Last year was our first year of a rebuild. Why is it you and other always go back before IA bought the team. The team was in survival mode, very low budget, no scouting, etc. etc. They were not on the same level playing field and in quite honesty, they weren't expected to win.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Huh? Domi made it impossible not to play him. As for Duke, he was still getting less ice time than he deserved, no matter how well he played. It isn't like we had two average rookies out there. Why would DT get credit for Duke being so productive while not getting the TOI he deserved?

Every time he put Domi and Duclair together, especially with Hanzal they were the most exciting, dangerous and productive line we had yet he continually kept them apart. I think Domi would be in the discussion for rookie of the year if he'd left them together. They were clearly our two most talented forwards so while yes he did play them more than I thought, his handling of them left a lot to be desired. And let's face it, how could he have justified playing those two any less?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
This is so sad :cry:

With increased say, I'm guessing Tipp will get Chayka to trade the #7 and #37 to "significantly improve the roster"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There are many problems with this team. Maloney may have been one problem, but certainly not the only problem interfering with team success.

1. Relocation Cloud
2. Arena Cloud
3. Bare Bones budget until recently

From the outside looking in, I would have given DM and DT three years with this rebuild to get us into the playoffs, and that would include ownership upping the budget. However, not knowing the day to day operation it is even hard to speculate what happened. The ownership, DT, Chakya etc. have now taken responsibility and will have to show results.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

jX708Wo6abfC8.gif

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
That was your same argument before last year started and DT proved most you guys wrong about playing kids.

He was proven 1/2 right. He played Domi, he didn't play Duclair as much as he should. No where on this green earth should Duclair have finished 9th in TOI for Forwards.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He was proven 1/2 right. He played Domi, he didn't play Duclair as much as he should. No where on this green earth should Duclair have finished 9th in TOI for Forwards.

I disagree. DuClair needed to be sheltered this year. He really, really showed some holes in his game, which slowly resolved. I expect him to have a lot more minutes next year. Domi, who got more minutes, was a far better all around player and didn't need as much sheltering.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka being the GM, in a vacuum, is not something I hate.

The utterly unqualified Drummond assuming the Presidency of HOCKEY Operations is a terrifying indication of how these guys are going to do business.

Rewarding Tippett with a five year extension and a VP title after losing for four straight seasons is also very, very troubling. Why not wait and see how he performs next season? If he continues to suck, maybe you don't have to extend him for another half decade.

Speaking of waiting, why not wait to name Chayka GM until you've been able to speak with all of these AGMs you're waiting on. Chayka wasn't going to quit because you let him keep his AGM job and gave the GM job to a more qualified candidate. Then you have Chayka AND a better manager rather than Chayka INSTEAD of a better manager.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I disagree. DuClair needed to be sheltered this year. He really, really showed some holes in his game, which slowly resolved. I expect him to have a lot more minutes next year. Domi, who got more minutes, was a far better all around player and didn't need as much sheltering.

Yeah looking at the list of players above him on the TOI stat, its easy to see why. Centers typically have more TOI. The only player IMO that shouldn't have had more time is Tanguay. I suppose we were auditioning him since we do have an open wing spot for next season on the left side.

Definitely hard to argue this post. I thought the time on ice was evenly distributed fairly. I wish Duke had a little more, but it's not too hard to see why.

I just didn't like how Tip split Domi - Hanzal - Duclair. TOI wasn't the issue for me, splitting that trio was.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Not all players are stalwarts at both ends of the ice nor will they ever be. People need to accept that not every single player is going to be a great two-way player and if one is as offensively skilled as Duke, you accept that and run with it.

Chayka being the GM, in a vacuum, is not something I hate.

The utterly unqualified Drummond assuming the Presidency of HOCKEY Operations is a terrifying indication of how these guys are going to do business.

Rewarding Tippett with a five year extension and a VP title after losing for four straight seasons is also very, very troubling. Why not wait and see how he performs next season? If he continues to suck, maybe you don't have to extend him for another half decade.

Speaking of waiting, why not wait to name Chayka GM until you've been able to speak with all of these AGMs you're waiting on. Chayka wasn't going to quit because you let him keep his AGM job and gave the GM job to a more qualified candidate. Then you have Chayka AND a better manager rather than Chayka INSTEAD of a better manager.

I'd guess that since these geniuses announced DT would have more say in how this team is built before even looking for a new GM they scared off any would be applicants. No GM is going to sign up to a job knowing the coach, the guy beneath them, is going to be making the final decision. Just add it to the other absolutely ******** decisions this organization has made lately.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

Couldn't disagree more with you. Duclair was buzzing from the get-go. He had a few bad turnovers in his first few game but over the year it was no more than some other guys (especially so considering the scoring chances he was able to create). For the large majority of the year though he worked hard to play defense. Duclair was one of the few guys along with Domi who applied backcheck pressure. Other than that I don't know what you can ask of him. He didn't play as deep in the d-zone as Domi but for me that's not really a strike against as he was looking to jumpstart the rush. By being one of the forwards who could carry the puck across the blueline he contributed infintely more than a talentless hack could have.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. Duclair really improved his all around game by the end of the year. He sat, he listened, he improved. Development one step at a time.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
And how the hell do you know that?

Multiple anonymous quotes from NHL GM's saying now that Tippett is in charge, as opposed to Maloney, that the Coyotes will now "do things the stupid way", and that ownership seems, "unreasonably enamored with him".

But let me guess Jake, the Hockey News was just speculating, and we have absolutely no way of knowing what goes on behind the scenes, right?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And how the hell do you know that?

I'd say that they were unable to come to terms with anyone of their dozen outside prospects speaks volumes. Even FoT Jackson didn't want to be put in a position to fail.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd say that they were unable to come to terms with anyone of their dozen outside prospects speaks volumes. Even FoT Jackson didn't want to be put in a position to fail.

How dare you question the public perception of our saviors? Why don't you find a new team to cheer for already? :sarcasm:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Couldn't disagree more with you. Duclair was buzzing from the get-go. He had a few bad turnovers in his first few game but over the year it was no more than some other guys (especially so considering the scoring chances he was able to create). For the large majority of the year though he worked hard to play defense. Duclair was one of the few guys along with Domi who applied backcheck pressure. Other than that I don't know what you can ask of him. He didn't play as deep in the d-zone as Domi but for me that's not really a strike against as he was looking to jumpstart the rush. By being one of the forwards who could carry the puck across the blueline he contributed infintely more than a talentless hack could have.

Perhaps we saw different things. I saw missed assignments leading to goals and to a lot of SOG. I saw poor decisions made without the puck leading to others having to cover for his gaffes on the ice. He improved nicely, but he was schooled by the better players in this league. Now that he's gone to school he can play 1st line minutes.

The idea wasn't for him to improve his stats, or the team stats this year. Playing him more would certainly have done that. The idea was to polish him as an NHL star hockey player.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Perhaps we saw different things. I saw missed assignments leading to goals and to a lot of SOG. I saw poor decisions made without the puck leading to others having to cover for his gaffes on the ice. He improved nicely, but he was schooled by the better players in this league. Now that he's gone to school he can play 1st line minutes.

The idea wasn't for him to improve his stats, or the team stats this year. Playing him more would certainly have done that. The idea was to polish him as an NHL star hockey player.

Well, of course you saw that, because you watched the player without the puck and not on the rush when we have the puck. That accounts for 95% of all players ice time including Duclair, and his below average play during that time was why his TOI was limited. The great news is that he got better away from the puck and got more ice time later in the year.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Well, of course you saw that, because you watched the player without the puck and not on the rush when we have the puck. That accounts for 95% of all players ice time including Duclair, and his below average play during that time was why his TOI was limited. The great news is that he got better away from the puck and got more ice time later in the year.

Since were all about the analytics now. Duke had the best +/- on the team. (+12). Everyone's favorite breakout player (reider) was a -21 (worst on team) 14:23 vs 17:18. 44 pts vs. 37

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since were all about the analytics now. Duke had the best +/- on the team. (+12). Everyone's favorite breakout player (reider) was a -21 (worst on team) 14:23 vs 17:18. 44 pts vs. 37

There is a little bit more to it than + / -.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad