Dave Tippett hired as Phoenix Coyotes head coach

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Anyone want to take a stab at Tippets opening night lines?

How bout ice-times?

Is going to feature guys like The Bum and Boedker over Upshall/Lombardi?

What's going to happen to Hanzal? Is tippet going to play him as Defensive player or give him a more offensive role (i.e. PP time)?

zz

Nov 1, 2006
A message from Dave to Peter Mueller and some of the other young guys who might make the squad...

Quenneville & Tippett - the stache line is absolutely priceless. Thank you sir.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
rt are you suggesting something about Mueller?

No, just typically anti-drug ads are targeted towards young people. Turris and Tikhonov aren't making the squad. I could've said Yandle or Hanzal or Boedker, I suppose. I just took a name out of hat.

Plus, he's a long haired hippie, that likes Bob Marley. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

rt

May 13, 2004
Quenneville & Tippett - the stache line is absolutely priceless. Thank you sir.

You know, it's funny, Q and Tip played together for most of each other's careers. I was taking a look at Tip's career, season by season, and Q is there for most of the Whalers days, and then even moves on to the Penguins, and maybe even one other team(Caps, maybe?). The vast majority of each man's games played in the NHL had the other man starting in the same games.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tippett eager for Coyotes' challenge

This article confirms that Laviolette was the other candidate.

I like Laviolette's flashy offensive system, a lot. He really took the new NHL by suprise following the lock-out. Carolina fans will tell you that it's become less and less effective as the quirks of the new game get worked out, though. Laviolette probably would've been my guy, but I think he's definitely more of a gamble than Tippett. With Tippett you can be sure you're getting a guy that's going to fit in really well, and who will certainly be a huge upgrade on what we've had previously. With Laviolette we could hit a home run, or we could strike out. I'm not sure that's something we can afford, right now. Not at this crucial moment, as the franchise hangs by a thread. Plus, the moustache upside on Laviolette isn't even in the same league as Tippett. So, I gues what I'm saying is that even though I've been pimping Laviolette since the day he got fired, the news that it came down to him and somebody else, and the fact that we went with somebody else, doesn't really disapoint me like I thought it would. Tippett seems like just what we need. I just really hope the right choice was made.

yakko

Mar 19, 2004
Northern California
You know, it's funny, Q and Tip played together for most of each other's careers. I was taking a look at Tip's career, season by season, and Q is there for most of the Whalers days, and then even moves on to the Penguins, and maybe even one other team(Caps, maybe?). The vast majority of each man's games played in the NHL had the other man starting in the same games.

Chicago+Blackhawks+Announce+Coaching+Change+Hw0XTxLi8n0l.jpg

Quenneville didn't give up on the mustache. Perhaps the two have finally parted ways.

:sarcasm:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I like Laviolette's flashy offensive system, a lot. He really took the new NHL by suprise following the lock-out. Carolina fans will tell you that it's become less and less effective as the quirks of the new game get worked out, though. Laviolette probably would've been my guy, but I think he's definitely more of a gamble than Tippett. With Tippett you can be sure you're getting a guy that's going to fit in really well, and who will certainly be a huge upgrade on what we've had previously. With Laviolette we could hit a home run, or we could strike out. I'm not sure that's something we can afford, right now. Not at this crucial moment, as the franchise hangs by a thread. Plus, the moustache upside on Laviolette isn't even in the same league as Tippett. So, I gues what I'm saying is that even though I've been pimping Laviolette since the day he got fired, the news that it came down to him and somebody else, and the fact that we went with somebody else, doesn't really disapoint me like I thought it would. Tippett seems like just what we need. I just really hope the right choice was made.
Laviolette's also missed the playoffs 4 of 5 seasons as a coach. GMDM got the right guy.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Does anyone know what Dave Tippets salary is? Surely it has to be less than $1.6 million?
No worries if you don't know since I know management salaries are not required to be reported.
Posted via Mobile Device

RT, who's in your corner?... Below is DV's response to my original e-mail and my response to him... (I just copied & pasted so it kind of reads a little backwards in a post, but proper in an e-mail.)

Hi Dave,

It's his mustache. I apologize for using slang in my e-mail. It must be more of a mid-west term.

A lot of authority could be derived from a mustache as serious as his. Striking a little fear in the opposing bench is never a bad thing.

Thanks for you asking as opposed to just blowing this off.

Eric

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM, The Desert Dog Blog <[email protected]> wrote:

Eric,

Please let me know what The Duster is?

Thanks

Dave

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
In his presser Tippet said he LOVES Hanzel. 2nd line center. I think we will be more offensive this year. He is healthy, no more back issues.

Anyone want to take a stab at Tippets opening night lines?

How bout ice-times?

Is going to feature guys like The Bum and Boedker over Upshall/Lombardi?

What's going to happen to Hanzal? Is tippet going to play him as Defensive player or give him a more offensive role (i.e. PP time)?

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
From what heard, it's just under a mil (around 950K) for 4 years. Great hire, as you can tell from the game last night. Just pre-season, but I think we finally have a direction on the ice. That point cannot be understated. Coyotes beat sharks 2-0. What more can you ask for?

Does anyone know what Dave Tippets salary is? Surely it has to be less than $1.6 million?
No worries if you don't know since I know management salaries are not required to be reported.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad