Dave Tippett hired as Phoenix Coyotes head coach

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why the hell are people so hung up on Tjarnqvist? Jesus...

How bout Patrick Fischer too?

Excellent suggestion. :sarcasm:

I'm not hung up on TQ it's just that he played for Tippet, and we seemingly could use the PK help but I guess with Fiddler here we have the better end of the deal.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
Why the hell are people so hung up on Tjarnqvist? Jesus...

How bout Patrick Fischer too?

Dude seriously? TQ was one of the best pure PK/ shutdown forwards in the league, couldn't do anything more than that. We took a hit in that department when he left.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Yeah... he was good at his job. At the time we could have probably used him for another year. I agree. But now we got Fiddler, Korpikoski, Pyatt, Upshall, Winnik so TQ has quickly become an after thought to me now.

TeamTourigny

Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
I was going to say, not sure Upshall ever played on the PK for us last year. Korp certainly will be quicker in a pK roll.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Outstanding appointment. Shame about the moustache, was hoping for some Bob Francis 'Jack Adams award season' mojo.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was going to say, not sure Upshall ever played on the PK for us last year. Korp certainly will be quicker in a pK roll.

Actually we used Upshall quite a bit in the role, and he did quite well. I remember that was something he talked about. That in Phoenix he was trusted on the specialty teams and he never has had that responsibility in the past to play power play or penalty kill minutes. I like him in both roles. He skates well, and plays hard. He's good at chipping it out and he's works hard down low.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Tippet coming here is a sign the Yotes are staying long term. He's an avid motorcycle rider (they showed a special last year during a Stars game), and AZ has some excellent motorcycle trails for him.

I'll grasp at any false hope I can...:help:

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah I don't think a high profile guy like him, with two years left on his last deal, would sign a four year contract with us if he thought we were just going to pull up stakes and take off in the middle of the night.

TeamTourigny

Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
Yeah I don't think a high profile guy like him, with two years left on his last deal, would sign a four year contract with us if he thought we were just going to pull up stakes and take off in the middle of the night.

we can also look at it like this: if/when Ballsie gets this team he's now stuck paying Tipps for 3 more years so that Ballsie can, "bring his guy in." Might be a win-win.

rt

May 13, 2004
we can also look at it like this: if/when Ballsie gets this team he's now stuck paying Tipps for 3 more years so that Ballsie can, "bring his guy in." Might be a win-win.

Great point. I like the usertitle, too, btw. HAHA!

Anyway, every one must go watch the Tippett interview on coyotes.nhl.com. It's great for a few reasons. One, Dave Strader does the interview, so he's still around. Awesome news. Two, Tippett is ex-teammates with Maloney, Sulliman, Burke AND Samuelsson, who is also his best friend. King was his coach at two Olympics, and is a guy he really looks up to. I guess Samuelsson and Tippett like a similar type of system and Ulf has been running it all camp, so the boys should be prepared for Dave to step in. Chemistry amongst this staff should not be a problem. HAHA!

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Great point. I like the usertitle, too, btw. HAHA!

Anyway, every one must go watch the Tippett interview on coyotes.nhl.com. It's great for a few reasons. One, Dave Strader does the interview, so he's still around. Awesome news. Two, Tippett is ex-teammates with Maloney, Sulliman, Burke AND Samuelsson, who is also his best friend. King was his coach at two Olympics, and is a guy he really looks up to. I guess Samuelsson and Tippett like a similar type of system and Ulf has been running it all camp, so the boys should be prepared for Dave to step in. Chemistry amongst this staff should not be a problem. HAHA!

I've heard Strader is waiting patiently for a broadcast deal. When we get one, I think he's there if they want him.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Hey guys, just wanted to weigh in. First off, congrats on losing Wayne Gretzky as a coach, we'll miss the temper tantrums 6 times a year.

Secondly, I don't know about the assistants, but I personally don't think Tippett really mixes well with a team full of young guys. I could very well be wrong, but I thought I'd give you the opinion of a Stars fan. One of the main reasons he was canned, in my mind, was his reluctance to play some of the young guys more. He mishandled Brunnstrom big time, and as for Eriksson? Well, Les Jackson is the reason Eriksson ever got ice time. I just hope the assistants and GM prove to be more forceful about playing some of the young guys in Phoenix. There are plenty of them.

Still, he's a solid enough coach, and honestly, anyone is an upgrade over Wayne at this point.

Good luck with your season!

rt

May 13, 2004
Hey guys, just wanted to weigh in. First off, congrats on losing Wayne Gretzky as a coach, we'll miss the temper tantrums 6 times a year.

Secondly, I don't know about the assistants, but I personally don't think Tippett really mixes well with a team full of young guys. I could very well be wrong, but I thought I'd give you the opinion of a Stars fan. One of the main reasons he was canned, in my mind, was his reluctance to play some of the young guys more. He mishandled Brunnstrom big time, and as for Eriksson? Well, Les Jackson is the reason Eriksson ever got ice time. I just hope the assistants and GM prove to be more forceful about playing some of the young guys in Phoenix. There are plenty of them.

Still, he's a solid enough coach, and honestly, anyone is an upgrade over Wayne at this point.

Appreciated. You have to understand the circumstances, though. Of course taking over for Hitchcock on a contending, veteren laden team, the young guys aren't going to get as fair a shake. The priority was contending not coddling youngsters. Things are a little bit different here. The youngsters are the key to winning. The first players he mentioned in that Strader interview were Peter Mueller and Mikkel Boedker. He knows the situation here. He's going to act accordingly. He has to. Also, Dave King is great with young kids and a fantastic teacher. A mentor, of sorts, for Tippett himself. I appreciate your offering caution but I think the difference in circumstance is drastic enough that comparisons are difficult. We shall see. As you said, anyone is an upgrade over Wayne, and Tippett is solid enough. A good day, nonetheless. :handclap:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I'm responding almost completely because of the awesomeness of your username. CHUCK FTW!! :D

Anyway, if you saw what Gretzky did to Enver Lisin, you'd know that Tippett is an upgrade in virtually every respect.

CitizenCoyote

Mar 4, 2007
Well, as a former Hartford Whaler fan, converted to a Coyotes fan, this is the second best thing to Hartford getting a team back. Coyotes staff is almost all Whalers! Now if we can just keep them for a while.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This was the best possible result for the Coyotes. I am still stunned that Tippett would take this job under the circumstances and knowing that 1 or 2 big NHL jobs (Philadelphia and Anaheim come to mind) might be open very soon. GMDM did a helluva sales job.

rt

May 13, 2004
This was the best possible result for the Coyotes. I am still stunned that Tippett would take this job under the circumstances and knowing that 1 or 2 big NHL jobs (Philadelphia and Anaheim come to mind) might be open very soon. GMDM did a helluva sales job.

Plus, he's spent the last ten years in the division and is friends with all of his fellow coaches and the general manager. I agree with you, of course, but we did have a few things working in our favor.

rt

May 13, 2004
A message from Dave to Peter Mueller and some of the other young guys who might make the squad...

poster3playersthinice.jpg

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad