Dave Tippett hired as Phoenix Coyotes head coach

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
I know everyone is still busy celebrating the signing of Tippett... still, I stumbled across this thread and find it scary that some Coyotes fans are looking at Tippett to improve special teams, accelerate the growth of the youngsters, demand more accountability form the players and keep the offensive lines more consistently together.

An interesting read from the perspective of Stars fans when Tippett was behind the Dallas bench.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know everyone is still busy celebrating the signing of Tippett... still, I stumbled across this thread and find it scary that some Coyotes fans are looking at Tippett to improve special teams, accelerate the growth of the youngsters, demand more accountability form the players and keep the offensive lines more consistently together.

An interesting read from the perspective of Stars fans when Tippett was behind the Dallas bench.

I understand your point, but keep in mind that these Stars fans are used to winning Stanley Cups, going to the playoffs, and actually winning games.

We're used to draft lotteries and nepotism and probably the worst ROI of any professional coach ever.

So while I sympathize with the frustrated Stars fans, I have to say that Tippett - while not Jack Adams or Scotty Bowman - is still an enormous upgrade.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Jun 28, 2006
Surprise

We are absolutely THRILLED that we finally have a coach with some credibility...as a COACH.

The way I see it, there's no way that Tippet could be worse at any of those things than Gretzky. So yeah, I expect improvements across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

The complaints in this thread seem to vary (and there's actually a lot of praise, too), but the themes that can be gleaned seem to imply that most of the problems sprung up that year (a year which saw the team's best forward and best defenseman miss a combined 136 games).

Few coaches can endure an especially long tenure. The difference between Gretzky and Tippett is that Tippett had a sustained run of success before people started calling for his head.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
The other thing about coaches, and I am sure Tippett has done this is they look back at what worked and what did not during their last tenure as coach and try to fix their processes.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
I understand your point, but keep in mind that these Stars fans are used to winning Stanley Cups, going to the playoffs, and actually winning games.

We're used to draft lotteries and nepotism and probably the worst ROI of any professional coach ever.

So while I sympathize with the frustrated Stars fans, I have to say that Tippett - while not Jack Adams or Scotty Bowman - is still an enormous upgrade.

Fair enough.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
The complaints in this thread seem to vary (and there's actually a lot of praise, too), but the themes that can be gleaned seem to imply that most of the problems sprung up that year (a year which saw the team's best forward and best defenseman miss a combined 136 games).

Few coaches can endure an especially long tenure. The difference between Gretzky and Tippett is that Tippett had a sustained run of success before people started calling for his head.

I am not an expert on Tippett and, as such, I am certainly not writing him or his coaching skills off before the season even gets under way. He has a nice coaching record - no doubt. I am certain that most of his coaching success was achieved with teams that were more skilled/experienced than the recent Coyotes rosters.

I was just surprised to see that the major complaints in the thread seemed to be along the same lines of what it is that many think Tippett will improve drastically in the desert.

Specifically the complaints about the special teams, the poor handling of young players on the roster and the line juggling - all topics mentioned in the thread - have me a little worried.

I am not exactly a fan of defensive hockey but I realize that a coach has to devise a system that plays to the strengths of the players available. In the end the Coyotes need to start winning more often than losing in order to have a realistic chance at gaining new fans in AZ.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just for a trip down memory lane, this thread is a great read. Tippett is now the franchise all time leader in wins, and still one of the winningest coaches in hockey since he took over our little ragtag bunch in the middle of the ownership chaos.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Just for a trip down memory lane, this thread is a great read. Tippett is now the franchise all time leader in wins, and still one of the winningest coaches in hockey since he took over our little ragtag bunch in the middle of the ownership chaos.

I was very happy to hear an actual coach took over the team when the great one dipped out.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
I thi k this guy will be a great fit. Hopefully they can win a division title and show the league we are a serious contender. Loved him in Dallas. :sarcasm: :handclap:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I really wonder what the franchise would be like, or if the team would even still be in Phoenix if Tippett hadn't come around. I know it sounds odd, but if the Coyotes were still a bottom feeder, an ownership group such as Gosbee's may have been less inclined to purchase the team.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Without Tippett I am certain they would be in Mooseville, Canada right now.

Last edited:

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Thank you Tippet.

Also, sad to see so many posters in this thread that don't even post anymore :(

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
I really wonder what the franchise would be like, or if the team would even still be in Phoenix if Tippett hadn't come around. I know it sounds odd, but if the Coyotes were still a bottom feeder, an ownership group such as Gosbee's may have been less inclined to purchase the team.

The new owners have said they would not have considered purchasing the team if not for DT and DM. It very much come off like resigning them was a prerequisite to completing the sale.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The new owners have said they would not have considered purchasing the team if not for DT and DM. It very much come off like resigning them was a prerequisite to completing the sale.
I was there at the pre-season thing when LeBlanc said that but wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Seems odd to put that much weight on two guys, but GM/coach is 80% of short- to medium-term success if you don't have Crosby and Datsyuk, so maybe? Don't know if I'd have said that in public though ... great leverage the next time Tipp's and Maloney's contracts are up!

All seriousness, it was a confluence of weird, unlikely events that got Tippett out of DAL and we're lucky, because coaches like him aren't out there vey often. His ability to coach up the diamonds that Maloney has found among the turds the last few years is nothing short of great.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was there at the pre-season thing when LeBlanc said that but wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Seems odd to put that much weight on two guys, but GM/coach is 80% of short- to medium-term success if you don't have Crosby and Datsyuk, so maybe? Don't know if I'd have said that in public though ... great leverage the next time Tipp's and Maloney's contracts are up!

All seriousness, it was a confluence of weird, unlikely events that got Tippett out of DAL and we're lucky, because coaches like him aren't out there vey often. His ability to coach up the diamonds that Maloney has found among the turds the last few years is nothing short of great.

When he left Dallas, expectations were pretty high, and he had the knock of not developing young players. At the same time, there were not a lot of coaching vacancies. Tip was not regarded at that time as a top 5 coach, he was one of many coaches that had some success for a few years at one place. There just were not a lot of bidders.

With what he has now done with Phoenix the last 4 years, he is obviously highly regarded, and there would be a line if he were available. I am sure glad he is here to stay. I am also glad we have DM, as he learned his craft on somebody else's nickel, then came here and we had no nickles. We for sure have a top 5 combination of GM and coach, and we got there without an owner. Now we have an owner, who would have thought.....

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With what he has now done with Phoenix the last 4 years, he is obviously highly regarded, and there would be a line if he were available. I am sure glad he is here to stay. I am also glad we have DM, as he learned his craft on somebody else's nickel, then came here and we had no nickles. We for sure have a top 5 combination of GM and coach, and we got there without an owner. Now we have an owner, who would have thought.....

Tip is already among the higher paid coaches out there with his new contract. He gets to work on his motorcycles and ride them around Scottsdale all year. I don't think he is going anywhere. I could see him getting fed up with the ownership nonsense and leaving if he feels it is causing him to stagnate as a professional.

I'd be more worried about one of the big teams hiring away Maloney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad