Dave Tippett and Coyotes agree on 5 year extension.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Someone's being an ******* on Wikipedia or entirely presient. Tip is listed as head coach of the Seattle Sasquatch.
I'm sure someone will update the page shortly.

Eff that person. Nothing can ruin my good mood right now.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
"I am thrilled to stay with the Coyotes," said Tippett in a statement. "Don has done a very good job of assembling a great staff and group of players here and I like the direction we are headed. We've started to build a strong foundation and we are both looking forward to continuing to build a winning team here in the Valley and taking the next step as a first class organization."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425993

Huzzah! Doing my happy "I told you so" dance. XD

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
That number 5 again, but its not like any coach gets 7 or anything. This is great news. Lets keep the momentum going, get the arena deal done, draft a stud scorer and clear out some room in the lobby of the Job for a trophy.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Why now? His contracts expires in a few weeks, why not just wait it out until then.

Because it gives him security that he'll get what he wants if things work out. No risk of new ownership wanting to keep their coaching options open, not competition = less uncertainty.

UNLESS he has some inside info that we don't.

He doesn't.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
So Tippett is willing to stay in Glendale with actual ownership but not under league control. He may also be willing to go to Seattle, but probably not Quebec.

It's good news, but it's pretty much what we all suspected all along.

Indeed. Not sure what all the excitement is about. Tippett re-signing was always much more likely than a deal being actually cut on time.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Indeed. Not sure what all the excitement is about. Tippett re-signing was always much more likely than a deal being actually cut on time.

Not really sure what all the negativity is all about either.

Guess some in here are so used to it they can't tell what good news is anymore.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Seriously? Man, lots of folks were ready to throw in the towel just a month ago regarding Tippett's future with the Yotes, and now he's resigned long-term *and* it isn't conditional on the sale of the team, and the reaction is "meh" at this news?

Don't blame some of you for perpetual negativity regarding the ownership fiasco, but still, good news is good news. We have both Maloney and Tippett resigned for 5 years. So far the dominos have fallen our way this off-season. Might as well just see how the rest of it plays out without being reflexively cynical/dismissive.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Actually what we have seen as of late is a mix of extreme positivity and realism expressed on the board.

The good news is, Tippett is staying with the team.

The bad news is, we are still not out of woods yet with the ownership mess.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
he's resigned long-term *and* it isn't conditional on the sale of the team, and the reaction is "meh" at this news?

But it IS conditional on the sale of the team. That's why I feel 'meh' about the whole thing.

zz

Nov 1, 2006

I'm not negative. I don't think this is bad news. I just don't think there's anything exciting about it either.

Let me put it this way:

- Tippett signing with another team = bad news
- Tippett committing to the franchise regardless of the situation = good news
- Tippett committing to the franchise after a deal is reached = great news
- Tippett waiting for a deal to be reached = Tippett signing a conditional deal based on the sale of the team = whatever, nothing new here.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well this great news.

Moving to Seattle would suck, but if they do move they're moving with the core that's made this franchise successful as of late. I wasn't going to follow them to QC due to the timezone, but I could see myself following them to Seattle.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This is awesome news! I can't even imagine the Coyotes without Tip at the helm, especially if they end up staying here. The combo of DM and Tip is perfect for the Phoenix market! :vhappy:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Actually what we have seen as of late is a mix of extreme positivity and realism expressed on the board.
More like a little bit of extreme positivity, a little bit of extreme negativity but mostly realism. Not surprisingly the two extreme sides happen to be the most outspoken.

seasontixholder*

Not to be a downer but Sarah was on our radio today. She said that Tippett's daughter lives in Seattle. Don't know if that means anything but it might.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
That's what I'm talking about.

x1nv5-the-rock-clapping.gif

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Not to be a downer but Sarah was on our radio today. She said that Tippett's daughter lives in Seattle. Don't know if that means anything but it might.
Don't 90% of Canadians have a family member who lives near Seattle, Southern Ontario or Quebec City? Tippett signing doesn't mean the team is in the clear -- it means NHL head coaching jobs are a game of musical chairs, and if a team signs a new one from the AHL, someone is getting left out, so you can't be infinitely choosy. Tipp's GM got re-signed and his team is here and his stock stays high, good all around. Unlikely he signed here - not the Vancouver gig - in hopes of living near his adult daughter.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He supposedly has an out every year of the contract. Suffice to say, he's covered. If RSE manages to close and then shoestrings the budget, he will probably leave if a desirable job opens up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad