Dave Tippett and Coyotes agree on 5 year extension.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Actually what we have seen as of late is a mix of extreme positivity and realism expressed on the board.

The good news is, Tippett is staying with the team.

The bad news is, we are still not out of woods yet with the ownership mess.

Ooo, please do explain this "realism" to me and how it differentiates from negativity.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
He supposedly has an out every year of the contract. Suffice to say, he's covered. If RSE manages to close and then shoestrings the budget, he will probably leave if a desirable job opens up.

...and if RSE manages to close and we make the conference finals again, he will probably stay regardless of which other jobs open up.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
...and if RSE manages to close and we make the conference finals again, he will probably stay regardless of which other jobs open up.
I don't think the WCF are required (though would be awesome!!), the out is just to protect him in case the Coyotes somehow relocate to Quebec or if it appears RSE is running the team into the ground. He just wants some modicum of control in the event things get too crazy around this franchise (who can blame him).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He supposedly has an out every year of the contract. Suffice to say, he's covered. If RSE manages to close and then shoestrings the budget, he will probably leave if a desirable job opens up.

Then how the hell is it a contract? Is there a link to this story? How did it come out that he's got five annual out clauses?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Then how the hell is it a contract? Is there a link to this story? How did it come out that he's got five annual out clauses?

Yeah, I don't really buy the 5 out clauses part of the contract either. Only person reporting this is Nick Kypreos.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Perhaps the NHL has told Tip and DM that the team is staying or moving to Seattle, period. If they are both fine with Seattle for one year, worst case, it could make sense for them to sign. It would make sense for the NHL to want the team to have a stable GM and coach through a transition. It would also make sense for the coach and GM to have an out at the one year mark, to see if they like their new bosses and can work for them. Obviously I am speculating, but this could make sense for all parties, including new owners.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Some quotes from McLellan's updated article (which includes a great little anecdote of Tippett's first meeting with Maloney back in 2009).

“For four years we’ve been telling our players to be patient and be loyal and hang in there,” Tippett said when reached by telephone in British Columbia. “I don’t think that would have sent the right message if I decided to jump ship now.”

“I’m still hopeful it stays in Arizona, but the management group, the coaching group, would go to the next location and I’d be part of that,” Tippett said. “I’m fine with that.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coy...es-coach-dave-tippett-contract-extension.html

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because it gives him security that he'll get what he wants if things work out. No risk of new ownership wanting to keep their coaching options open, not competition = less uncertainty.

He doesn't.

How do you know? Why do you even say that? You have no idea what Tip knows and doesn't know.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
"@cmorganfoxaz: I am told reports that Dave Tippett's contract has yearly out clauses are incorrect."

Here we go again! No matter what happens, some jack*** starts to fabricate what is in DT contract. I'm told a lot of things everyday, does mean they are all true. Why can't we just be happy that GMDM and DT are signed. A month ago a lot of the posters were sure they were gone.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I always find it funny how so many people say that the Arizona Republic is not a reliable source for infomation and yet cite the newspaper as if it were a reliable source.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I always find it funny how so many people say that the Arizona Republic is not a reliable source for infomation and yet cite the newspaper as if it were a reliable source.

Well, I don't trust Bickley any further than I can throw him, but I don't see what's wrong with citing McLellan. She is our official beat writer, after all.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Well, I don't trust Bickley any further than I can throw him, but I don't see what's wrong with citing McLellan. She is our official beat writer, after all.

On my take, the Arizona Republic is a joke of a paper to where only from time to time somethings are right. Only time will tell what are the details of Tippett's contract.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How do you know? Why do you even say that? You have no idea what Tip knows and doesn't know.

It wouldn't be very smart to tie yourself to such an unknown situation for five years. Not when you are a coach that could land a better job if you really wanted. I'm sure there is some sort of out for him, and that's fine. It's not a knock against his loyalty or a slam on Arizona (which he apparently loves). It's just smart.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
On my take, the Arizona Republic is a joke of a paper to where only from time to time somethings are right. Only time will tell what are the details of Tippett's contract.

Not saying the Republic is a paragon of journalistic integrity/accuracy. But I'll take McLellan's word over speculation by Sportsnet on Yotes matters all day, every day.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It wouldn't be very smart to tie yourself to such an unknown situation for five years. Not when you are a coach that could land a better job if you really wanted. I'm sure there is some sort of out for him, and that's fine. It's not a knock against his loyalty or a slam on Arizona (which he apparently loves). It's just smart.

A better job? DT, as speculated by third parties, is getting the same $$ as AV, the new Ranger coach. It doesn't get much better than that. If in fact there is an out clause, his agent did a remarkable job.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

:laugh:How true.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A better job? DT, as speculated by third parties, is getting the same $$ as AV, the new Ranger coach. It doesn't get much better than that. If in fact there is an out clause, his agent did a remarkable job.

AV, as great as he is, was fired for a reason. Tippett would have been the best coach to hit the market since Babcock. $2m a year well spent. No doubt the Rangers or a number of teams would have been willing to pay more. But kudos to Tippett for following in Maloney's steps and not abandoning ship.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Bickley is a joke, but that is only my opinion. He has no idea about the game of hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
AV, as great as he is, was fired for a reason. Tippett would have been the best coach to hit the market since Babcock. $2m a year well spent. No doubt the Rangers or a number of teams would have been willing to pay more. But kudos to Tippett for following in Maloney's steps and not abandoning ship.

Don't forget DT was fired. Coaches are hired to be fired. But I'm tickled pink that GMDM and DT resigned.

zz

Nov 1, 2006

What are you saying? That Dave Tippett, a mere employee reaching the end of his contract, is somehow privy of ownership negotiations? If so, what exactly over the past 4 years makes you believe this for one second?

Do you seriously believe that anyone outside of the CoG knows whether a deal will be made?

Get real.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
What are you saying? That Dave Tippett, a mere employee reaching the end of his contract, is somehow privy of ownership negotiations? If so, what exactly over the past 4 years makes you believe this for one second?

Do you seriously believe that anyone outside of the CoG knows whether a deal will be made?

Get real.

You mean the glendale municipal government or the city limits? because I'm betting there are people inside the glendale city limits that *think* they know whether a deal will be made that do not :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Get real.

I believe these mere employees, as you call them, are privy to what is going on much more than any of us.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I believe these mere employees, as you call them, are privy to what is going on much more than any of us.

Ha. Ok. Well, that explains a lot.

Are you referring to things like Jamison personally guaranteeing a deal to Shane Doan? Or Tippett and Maloney stating multiple times over the past 4 years that they have no ****ing clue what's going to happen, and pretty much live on hope and a prayer?

Have you ever worked in a business that was on the verge of a change of ownership? Were there any employees below the C-Suite who knew anything about what was going on?

:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad