Dave Tippett and Coyotes agree on 5 year extension.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Heard his contract is expiring, is he expected to resign? Would be a great fit in Vancouver imo.

He's UFA at end of June. He would like to re-sign; however, he would like to know what city he's expected to coach in before signing the contract. Same with our GM.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We love him. He's amazing. Easily top five in the world. He's not re-signing with the Coyotes unless ownership issues have been resolved prior to his contract expiring. There is a zero percent chance ownership issues are resolved before then. I fully expect him to move on with his career elsewhere. I do agree that he'd be a fantastic fit in Vancouver. His system would fit the likes of the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows like a glove.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Most of us were bearish on Doan staying last summer in the face of the same ownership uncertainty, so I'm still a firm believer that Tippett and GMDM will stay.

theTik41

Jan 21, 2013
he's a good coach but he is not a great coach. i dont know how many years he has been coaching but i believe he has been to the western conference finals twice (once with phoenix and once with dallas). you cant be a great coach and never coached in the finals. ill also say i wonder how good he is at coaching younger players, when he got to phoenix we had some high picks that quickly decided not to play there anymore. the one young foward he developed (boedker) is pretty much a glorified 3rd liner. just my two cents.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The one knock on him is how he handles young forwards, many people believe he mishandles them, and he was allegedly run out of Dallas for that reason.

The Coyotes PP has also been awful, but I don't think we've established who actually runs the PP, Tippet or an associate coach.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
he's a good coach but he is not a great coach. i dont know how many years he has been coaching but i believe he has been to the western conference finals twice (once with phoenix and once with dallas). you cant be a great coach and never coached in the finals. ill also say i wonder how good he is at coaching younger players, when he got to phoenix we had some high picks that quickly decided not to play there anymore. the one young foward he developed (boedker) is pretty much a glorified 3rd liner. just my two cents.

So I guess Trotz isn't a great coach either, as he basically has the same coaching philosophy as Tippett, has gotten the Predators to do well consistently without a lot of scoring talent up front, and hasn't even made it to the conference finals....

The only two draft picks that come to mind are Mueller and Turris. Don't know how scouting missed the red flags on Mueller before drafting him, but you can't blame Tippett on him being fragile. Turris is doing okay in Ottawa, but it's clear his ceiling is a 2C and wasn't going to be the franchise center we wanted (put him up against top lines and he'll get shutdown). Plus, he's still inconsistent as ever. Turris didn't want to be here, so good on GMDM on getting good value out of him.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The one knock on him is how he handles young forwards, many people believe he mishandles them, and he was allegedly run out of Dallas for that reason.

The Coyotes PP has also been awful, but I don't think we've established who actually runs the PP, Tippet or an associate coach.
As a Stars/Coyotes fan, I feel obligated to jump in here. The only young forward Tippett mishandled in Dallas was Sean Avery; by dressing a forward management had spent $4m on, he introduced the biggest character nightmare the Stars have had since Sergei Makarov had a 5-game stint, clashed with Ken Hitchcock and was run out in, like, 1996.

The Stars had a weird dual-GM setup, where Les Armstrong (scouting guru) and Brett Hull (Ambassador of Fun) ran the show for two years. They won a coup of a trade (Brad Richards for Mike Smith with add-ins on both sides) and were at the helm for a Conference Finals run in 2008, but screwed the pooch signing Avery (Hull's buddy, I think) which screwed up the room until the Stars traded him to the Rangers a few months into the contract. The team never recovered and had a bad 2009 (Tippett's fault?) and the two co-GM's were replaced by a single GM, Joe Nieuwendyk. GMJN had a different, more offensive philosophy, and wanted his own coach - Marc Crawford - to implement it.

Tippett wasn't run out of Dallas for any sort of major failure ... a goofy GM situation imploded above his head and he got caught by the shrapnel. He had a really good run in Dallas. I hope he stays in Phoenix but fear he won't, because he'd be an upgrade for lots of teams.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd like to see if he can still manage a good defensive team with a legitimate top line. If we get an owner that allows Maloney to add 3 forwards that can make up a top scoring line (I don't think we have any forwards that belong on a top line) and keep the core players we have, Tippett will have no excuses for a lack of offensive pressure, putrid power play and playing not to lose when we have a lead in the 3rd period. I think he deserves a shot with a competitive roster. Part of the issues might also be the lack of money to hire a good assistant to run the offense and/or PP as well as work with the young forwards. We won't really know that until we have an owner.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Love him. Hope he stays in Phoenix.

There's not a doubt in my mind he could do well coaching anywhere in this league. He proved that with us.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Love him. Hope he stays in Phoenix.

There's not a doubt in my mind he could do well coaching anywhere in this league. He proved that with us.

Totally agree. He's been the best coach this franchise has had since it moved to Arizona and I didn't follow the Jets so I can't speak to whether they ever had a better coach.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Tippet is a wizard when it comes to taking a team that might not look so impressive on paper and getting them to overachieve. It does remain to be seen how well he'd handle a team that looks awesome on paper.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tippet is a wizard when it comes to taking a team that might not look so impressive on paper and getting them to overachieve. It does remain to be seen how well he'd handle a team that looks awesome on paper.

He coached Dallas teams featuring Hull, Modano, Zubov, Morrow, Ribeiro, Richards, Lehtonen, and Eriksson. Maybe not elite level annual contenders but certainly some star power and a lot more name recognition than what he's had to work with here.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
He coached Dallas teams featuring Hull, Modano, Zubov, Morrow, Ribeiro, Richards, Lehtonen, and Eriksson. Maybe not elite level annual contenders but certainly some star power and a lot more name recognition than what he's had to work with here.

Lehtonen? Turco!

Where can he ride his bike virtually all year?

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011

Regarding whether he's a good coach, I'd ask everyone to evaluate how have Dallas and Phoenix performed respectively, since he moved over to the Yotes.

Tippett is not only a great person and a great coach (believe he's won the 2nd most league games over the last 10 years or so), but he's also the perfect type of coach given our financial situation here. He can get more out of a cap floor budget than any coach in the league. For the same reason, Maloney is the perfect GM for the Yotes. If we lose either, it will be a huge blow no doubt.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Don't want to dump on what is a good point, but Hull left before Tippett arrived (Hull was on Detroit's 2002 dreamteam), and I want to draw attention to Zubov.

Zubov was the super skilled puck-mover on defense, a la Keith Yandle. Zubov's retirement helped cast the Stars into a wilderness they still haven't found their way out of. GMDM's good Rangers teams were buoyed by Brian Leetch, which means every good team the coach and GM have been a part of has had a world class -- not just good -- puck moving defenseman. If the roster and the relationship with the GM are top priorities for a coach. Check the Dallas season-by-season pre, during and post Zubov. A blue line with Keith Yandle on it is probably FAR more attractive to Tippett than one with three extra draft picks in 2013/2014. Wonder if that is any part of GMDM's calculus.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Compared to Phoenix for sure but compared to somewhere like say Vancouver, I think it remains to be seen. That said, I'd put my money on Tip any day of the week and I'm hoping against hope he pulls a Doan and stays in Phoenix. There's not a team in the entire NHL that needs Tip more than Phoenix does!!!

GMDM...Tippet...they must not leave!!!

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The new GM in Dallas has fired their head coach. Going back could be a really easy move for Tip.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@cmorganfoxaz: Sources also confirmed that w/GM Don Maloney now under contract, negotiations with coach Dave Tippett on a new contract are set to begin."

"@cmorganfoxaz: RSE views Tip as a critical component, both from coaching & financial standpoints (fan confidence for ticket sales & investor confidence)."

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
"@cmorganfoxaz: Sources also confirmed that w/GM Don Maloney now under contract, negotiations with coach Dave Tippett on a new contract are set to begin."

"@cmorganfoxaz: RSE views Tip as a critical component, both from coaching & financial standpoints (fan confidence for ticket sales & investor confidence)."

Don-minos are falling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad