Dave Tippett and Coyotes agree on 5 year extension.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It would be a coup for this franchise, if this ownership deal comes to fruition and we manage to keep both GMDM and Tippett.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I know people complain about how Tippet handles the rookies but OEL turned out well. Stone is exceeding expectations. He made a decent defender out of Schlemko who no one else took a chance on. I think we just got a couple duds in a row with Mueller and Turris. Oh and I forgot, Hanzal did most of his development under Tip. I would say his track record looks pretty good. If you deserve to play, you play. Please sign him up long term.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I know people complain about how Tippet handles the rookies but OEL turned out well. Stone is exceeding expectations. He made a decent defender out of Schlemko who no one else took a chance on. I think we just got a couple duds in a row with Mueller and Turris. Oh and I forgot, Hanzal did most of his development under Tip. I would say his track record looks pretty good. If you deserve to play, you play. Please sign him up long term.

GEEZ, you forgot about the big dog, the Great Dane...

zz

Nov 1, 2006

First off, I agree with you. But I understand some of the criticism though. All the players who developed well under Tippett are 2-way guys. We have zero offense. Boedker is alright, but a prorated 12 goals, 32 assists for 44 points on his third NHL season doesn't scream '1st line scorer'.

We had 2 scoring prospects in Mueller and Turris, and both left. One can argue Mueller wasn't anything special, but Turris turned out to be a pretty good player.

The only offensive-minded guy we have who developed well under Tip is a defenseman (Yandle).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Mueller was even better than Turris after he left. He looked like a legit 1C type, the player he was originally drafted to be. Then he got his brains scrambled and was never the same again. Sound familiar?

Tippett's statement that the AHL is for development and not the NHL shows you how much disdain he has for young players. It's an ignorant, old school opinion. He's a great coach, but he has his faults and was fired for them. One of those faults is his lack of ability to develop scoring talent. The team would certainly be worse off without him but you have to wonder if it'd be better for the franchise in the long run. He'd be a miracle worker in a market that has the budget to not care about homegrown talent.

A new coach might not be a bad thing.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
There is truth to all of that but the majority of what we seem to work with here is everyone else's cast-offs and not draft picks for the most part. If that continues to be the norm, then Tippet is our guy. If we ever draft elite scorers, maybe he is not. No argument on Turris as far as talent goes. He sure proved himself in the playoffs this year but had he stuck around he would have been doing that for Phoenix by now. Mueller was just a bum. Did not deserve the opportunity he got.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Turris simply was not a team player and had zero franchise loyalty at all. If he had stayed, he'd have had to put his offensive break out season off by maybe one year and he'd be a much, much better two-way player. I don't think Tippett is incapable of developing young offensive talent, he's incapable of rushing offensive prospects, and developing them into one dimensional offensive players, becaus the process was reckless and detrimental due to desperation. Kind of like our last head coach.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Turris simply was not a team player and had zero franchise loyalty at all. If he had stayed, he'd have had to put his offensive break out season off by maybe one year and he'd be a much, much better two-way player. I don't think Tippett is incapable of developing young offensive talent, he's incapable of rushing offensive prospects, and developing them into one dimensional offensive players, becaus the process was reckless and detrimental due to desperation. Kind of like our last head coach.

Fair enough. Still, until we have a drafted player other than Shane Doan who can break the 30/30/60 mark, the jury will be out on our ability to develop offensive talent.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Turris simply was not a team player and had zero franchise loyalty at all.

Neither of those things have anything to do with the fact that we sent out our best offensive prospect by a million miles for a d-man who doesn't seem likely to crack our everyday six.

That is before I point out that there is no proof to him not being a team player. Did you watch the Ott. series? Sure as hell looked like a team player to me. Scrummed even though everyone knows he is a *****. Tried to hit, was down low playing his defensive position just fine.

The Turris situation is the one glaring mistake in DT's time here.

Bleh, my worry is more about what happens the next time we draft or trade for a young offense first type of player. That is the only thing that is keeping this team from being considered an elite team. It is something we desperately need. If that situation comes around again, will DT handle it differently?

Of course if the Coyotes are gone in the next few months I don't give a flying **** what happens.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We do know that he can develop young defenders remarkably well. Time for Don to start harvesting them for scorers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Mueller was even better than Turris after he left. He looked like a legit 1C type, the player he was originally drafted to be. Then he got his brains scrambled and was never the same again. Sound familiar?

Tippett's statement that the AHL is for development and not the NHL shows you how much disdain he has for young players. It's an ignorant, old school opinion. He's a great coach, but he has his faults and was fired for them. One of those faults is his lack of ability to develop scoring talent. The team would certainly be worse off without him but you have to wonder if it'd be better for the franchise in the long run. He'd be a miracle worker in a market that has the budget to not care about homegrown talent.

It's a fact coaches voices land on deaf ears over time, some just take longer than others. I think DT is still fine here for the time being, and the good coaches adjust their philosophies on the circumstances presented to them. I think DT knows where he is weak and has to change is those areas. If he doesn't his days here could be numbered. Don't get me wrong, I think DT has done a wonderful job here, but now we all want more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Neither of those things have anything to do with the fact that we sent out our best offensive prospect by a million miles for a d-man who doesn't seem likely to crack our everyday six.

That is before I point out that there is no proof to him not being a team player. Did you watch the Ott. series? Sure as hell looked like a team player to me. Scrummed even though everyone knows he is a *****. Tried to hit, was down low playing his defensive position just fine.

The Turris situation is the one glaring mistake in DT's time here.

Bleh, my worry is more about what happens the next time we draft or trade for a young offense first type of player. That is the only thing that is keeping this team from being considered an elite team. It is something we desperately need. If that situation comes around again, will DT handle it differently?

Of course if the Coyotes are gone in the next few months I don't give a flying **** what happens.

You can't win every trade, and we have no idea how the Turris circus was affecting the team. It takes years sometimes to evaluate a trade. Give this one some time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I just looked at some other coaches records and compared them to DT. A new coach might be a bad thing:)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I agree with all of that. You'd think he could be helped by a really good assistant coach that works with the young forwards. We have a goalie coach that has made a positive impact. Why not one for the offensive forwards (and the damn PP!)? This is a huge weakness for Tippett where I think DM could help by influencing a change on the staff and with Tippett personally. Not every head coach is going to be good at everything but it's not asking too much for Tippett to improve this part of his resume imo.

The league will continue to move towards offense. All the other major sports have and hockey will be the same. Tippett can either lead, follow or get out of the way. There's no reason he can't adopt a little more offensive pressure and a few offense-first young guys into his system. He just has to want to do it (or be forced by his boss).

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I agree 100% with Tippett that the NHL is for NHL ready players. Develop the prospects in the AHL. That is where they can learn the system and develop their offensive skills. Very few draft picks step right into the NHL and have success. It is well documented, Gretzky tried to force things and it actually set the prospects back a few years.

Mueller was/is a great talent but was always a little flaky. IMO the reason he did so well in Colorado was the trade lit a fire under his *** (at least for a little bit). Really unfortunate the concussion problems.

Turris quit on the team. As rt mentioned, 1 more year under Tippett and he would have been our top 2 centre. Would have preferred a forward in the trade but trust GMDM that he got the best return available.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The more I compare what Tippett did in Dallas to what he did in Phoenix, the more I see the failures in Dallas are a result of the powers above Tippett at his time in Texas. Tippett has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons here with league ownership where the Stars haven't been to the playoffs once since he was canned and it looks like the Stars are headed for a rebuild at the rate things are going. He isn't perfect(no coach is really)but Tippett has shown to me that it is a matter of when he will get to a SCF and maybe a cup win if all of the other right pieces are in place. The key going forward towards such a goal will rest more with how competent or not a new owner would be if the team is still here. Have faith that Gosbee is the man to get it done? Maybe his is the piece we need, maybe not! Just remember that Moyes and Ellman were once viewed as the men who would lead us to the promise land and look at how that turned out.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I agree 100% with Tippett that the NHL is for NHL ready players.

No one turns into an NHL player by playing in the minor leagues. It takes time and patience on an NHL roster for that to happen, two things Tippett isn't really willing to give. Even the most 'NHL ready' prospect can have their chain yanked so much that they falter.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I hope Tippet can improve in his dealings with young offensive forwards but regardless I would rather have Tippet, limitations and all, than not have Tippet. Put quite simply, he wins.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The more I compare what Tippett did in Dallas to what he did in Phoenix, the more I see the failures in Dallas are a result of the powers above Tippett at his time in Texas. Tippett has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons here with league ownership where the Stars haven't been to the playoffs once since he was canned and it looks like the Stars are headed for a rebuild at the rate things are going. He isn't perfect(no coach is really)but Tippett has shown to me that it is a matter of when he will get to a SCF and maybe a cup win if all of the other right pieces are in place. The key going forward towards such a goal will rest more with how competent or not a new owner would be if the team is still here. Have faith that Gosbee is the man to get it done? Maybe his is the piece we need, maybe not! Just remember that Moyes and Ellman were once viewed as the men who would lead us to the promise land and look at how that turned out.

It will all depend who the owner has for his GM, and who the GM hires as coach etc. Ellman an Moyes were never hockey people and were doing it on wing an a prayer. If the new owner retains GMDM and DT, he will be light years ahead of the other two.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No one turns into an NHL player by playing in the minor leagues. It takes time and patience on an NHL roster for that to happen, two things Tippett isn't really willing to give. Even the most 'NHL ready' prospect can have their chain yanked so much that they falter.

I think it depends on who the player is. If we would have drafted Hall, Stamkos etc. I think they would have played here their first year. If they were returned to junior, it would have been a wasted year. There is no doubt, looking back, that they rushed Turris, Boedker and a few others as they should have developed in the minors.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
As a Stars/Coyotes fan, I feel obligated to jump in here. The only young forward Tippett mishandled in Dallas was Sean Avery; by dressing a forward management had spent $4m on, he introduced the biggest character nightmare the Stars have had since Sergei Makarov had a 5-game stint, clashed with Ken Hitchcock and was run out in, like, 1996.

You forgot about his handling of Loui. Tippett had to be told by the GM, Les Jackson, to play him so he could develop and get better.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You forgot about his handling of Loui. Tippett had to be told by the GM, Les Jackson, to play him so he could develop and get better.
I've heard this before but only from message board posters, any chance you have a source? Not trying to call you out, just wondering if this was ever proven to be true or just another internet rumor.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

I've heard this before but only from message board posters, any chance you have a source? Not trying to call you out, just wondering if this was ever proven to be true or just another internet rumor.
Curious about this myself. I'm on my phone and have limited research capability, but Loui had big minutes in 2008. In 2007, when Les Jackson wasn't the GM, the roster was littered with Miettenens and Lindroses and Stefans and Jokinens ... if the GM doesn't want the coach to play a veteran, don't have a veteran on the payroll. It's the GM's job to win games 3 years from now ... it's the coach's job to win tonight.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I don't have or remember what the source was. I just remember it happening early that season and discussion on it afterward.

EDIT: I found an old Eriksson thread with people complaining about his icetime in 2007, and that he was competing with the likes of Fedoruk, Barch, and Ott. Probably Winchester too since he was on the team at the same time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad