Dave Hakstol Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I had a productive morning.

So Hak just benched Sanheim repeatedly in a game where they were down 5-1 and were making a comeback, despite him playing really well.
Meanwhile Hagg was 2nd in defensemen icetime and CONSTANTLY with the 1st line, despite singlehandedly ruining multiple chances.

giphy.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This was a taste, like we always get, of what this team is capable of when they play aggressive and feisty. But it only happens with multi-goal deficits. When the best players play the most and they attack endlessly. Maybe the awful stench of the PK, its stink again permeating the air and costing them, served as extra motivation. As Beef would say, “Is that good coaching?”

That was as entertaining a period as I’ve seen all year, and I so desperately wish it was a harbinger for something. It’s not. We will get the same old usage and play style by puck drop next game. And the games after that. Nothing changes. It’s right in front of this coaching staff and GM’s nose, but they can’t see it. The Hive knows, and it’s what they b*tch endlessly about. THAT was fun. We want more of THAT.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This was a taste, like we always get, of what this team is capable of when they play aggressive and feisty. But it only happens with multi-goal deficits. When the best players play the most and they attack endlessly. Maybe the awful stench of the PK, its stink again permeating the air and costing them, served as extra motivation. As Beef would say, “Is that good coaching?”

That was as entertaining a period as I’ve seen all year, and I so desperately wish it was a harbinger for something. It’s not. We will get the same old usage and play style by puck drop next game. And the games after that. Nothing changes. It’s right in front of this coaching staff and GM’s nose, but they can’t see it. The Hive knows, and it’s what they b*tch endlessly about. THAT was fun. We want more of THAT.
To be fair, they had a ton of shots all game. 18 in the first; 16 in the second. They actually had their fewest in the 3rd when down multiple goals, but they finally put it in the net.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Jim Jackson, a few minutes ago:

"The Flyers are at the bottom of the League when it comes to plus-minus for special teams overall. That's power play goals for and against and short-handed goals for and against."

Not everything bad that happens is on the coaches, but the special teams that Jackson was talking about are areas of the game that are highly influenced by coaching.

And the coaching we've been seeing just isn't good enough.

This was a taste, like we always get, of what this team is capable of when they play aggressive and feisty. But it only happens with multi-goal deficits. When the best players play the most and they attack endlessly.

That's my frustration, too.

We have a lot of talent on this team, but when do we see it come to the fore?

In the highly structured parts of the game that follow the coach's game plan? Nope.

We're more likely to see it in the highly emotional parts of a game when players throw the game plan out the window and play on instinct and adrenaline.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Hakstol is content with punting for the majority of the game. It’s almost a given we’ll be punting the entire first period on most nights. How much the other team scores dictates when he’ll grow a set. f*** this dude will try to protect two goal hole for long stretches through a game if given the chance.

If this guy had it his way we wouldn’t keep score for the Flyers. He’s not a good coach but even worse he’s a totally p***y to boot.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
That's my frustration, too.

We have a lot of talent on this team, but when do we see it come to the fore?

In the highly structured parts of the game that follow the coach's game plan? Nope.

We're more likely to see it in the highly emotional parts of a game when players throw the game plan out the window and play on instinct and adrenaline.

exactly. this team seems to be at it's best when they're down several goals cause they go into free wheeling mode and play run and gun trying to catch up. well, maybe that's how they should always be playing? more of a run and gun attack system instead of sitting back all the time. when they sit back and play too defensive, they get killed. how Hakstol hasn't clued into this after 4 years is a total mystery.

Reactions: Foggy14

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Hakstol is content with punting for the majority of the game. It’s almost a given we’ll be punting the entire first period on most nights. How much the other team scores dictates when he’ll grow a set. **** this dude will try to protect two goal hole for long stretches through a game if given the chance.

If this guy had it his way we wouldn’t keep score for the Flyers. He’s not a good coach but even worse he’s a totally ***** to boot.

Hakstool has ZERO killer instinct... hes just happy to get a participation ribbon

he still coachs like hes running a peewee hockey team

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
JvR is kindling dipped in accelerant to the comeback fire.

This team has all the pieces to be something. Fire the coach. We want to move forward

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nothing dramatic.

Sabres Rags Leafs in nights. Season could over, ride Hak out if that’s the case. The wins will come once he’s gone, so pick a course
I mean the trade talk. They aren't going to trade away the young guys for no reason.

Anyone expecting Hakstol to be fired mid-season can only blame themselves. It was ever happening unless something DRASTIC happens. The stars will prevent that... they're just too damn good.

It's offseason or nothing.

Reactions: Domino666

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I mean the trade talk. They aren't going to trade away the young guys for no reason.

Anyone expecting Hakstol to be fired mid-season can only blame themselves. It was ever happening unless something DRASTIC happens. Offseason or nothing.

League worst special teams, bottom of division and bottom 3 in nhl by T giving is pretty drastic.

I mean Simmer , Weise, Farmer, Gudas maybe Jake, start looking to next year or two already.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
League worst special teams, bottom of division and bottom 3 in nhl by T giving is pretty drastic.

I mean Simmer , Weise, Farmer, Gudas maybe Jake, start looking to next year or two already.
As I added in my edit, they won't stay there, the stars are too good.

And I would be beyond shocked if anyone like that is traded. Maybe Simmonds if they're way out of a playoff spot and the seasons over, but like I said, that's unlikely thanks to the top players. Eventually the PP will stop slumping and they'll start outscoring Haks mistakes and pets, like last year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The PK being one of the worst in the league is definitely sustainable at this point. The first unit on the PP should get better but I still doubt you’re really getting anything out of your second unit again. I don’t think you’re getting league average goaltending at this point either.

It took career years out of Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Gostisbehere, & Provorov to drag this team to where they got last year. They’re still a bubble team really so a playoff berth might not be a given regardless.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As I added in my edit, they won't stay there, the stars are too good.

And I would be beyond shocked if anyone like that is traded. Maybe Simmonds if they're way out of a playoff spot and the seasons over, but like I said, that's unlikely thanks to the top players. Eventually the PP will stop slumping and they'll start outscoring Haks mistakes and pets, like last year.

Making the Playoffs is not even close to a guarantee.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But they’ll at least keep it close.

It’s very unlikely they get to the point where they’re definitely out at the trade deadline, which is the only way Simmonds has any chance of being moved.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Not winning 3, then ,losing 3. We are as bad as we have ever been under Hak I have to assume. The Rags and Sens are ahead of us, start of the season you would of got 50 to 1 odds on that.

Things under Haks this year, we are almost rock bottom. And this is with no injuries to a Couts, G Ghost or Provy type.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad