Dave Hakstol Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
LOL if you think Hakstol is playing him over MacDonald.
He's played Sanheim and Folin over MacDonald. Point is, if they traded Sanheim or Ghost, they'd need to call up a defenseman, and they have Myers waiting in the wings. I don't think replacing Sanheim or Ghost with Myers is "blowing up the defense," and I think it would be a net benefit to add Nylander. Additionally, Morin will be back at some point this season. The time is ripe to trade a defenseman.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
For a guy who is obsessed with calling other posters "liars," you sure do like creating hyperbolic, straw man arguments that take one thing somebody says and then disingenuously stretch it to include a bunch of things the person didn't say.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's played Sanheim and Folin over MacDonald. Point is, if they traded Sanheim or Ghost, they'd need to call up a defenseman, and they have Myers waiting in the wings. I don't think replacing Sanheim or Ghost with Myers is "blowing up the defense," and I think it would be a net benefit to add Nylander. Additionally, Morin will be back at some point this season. The time is ripe to trade a defenseman.

He chose MacDonald over Myers once already.

Absolutely nothing Hakstol has indicated in his tenure says it's worthwhile to assume that he will use Myers over Mac. Like that time when Morin outplayed Mac and Mac was still chosen over him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That's odd considering Hextall has never placed Myers on the Flyers regular season roster yet.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He would have if Hakstol had wanted him. Hextall doesn't pick the roster, Hakstol does.
Hextall is the GM. The NHL roster is his decision. If he wants someone on the team he can put him on the team. You really seem to have yourself convinced that Hakstol is to blame for absolutely everything.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Hextall is the GM. The NHL roster is his decision. If he wants someone on the team he can put him on the team. You really seem to have yourself convinced that Hakstol is to blame for absolutely everything.

You guys act like a boss will just do his sub-ordinate's job for him. Like if Hakstol is failing in decisions, he will just over-rule him and force him to adhere.

That's such a crock, in sports as well as in real life. If a manager is failing at his job and not delivering, his boss won't go and tell the manager's employees what they should be doing. He'll give it time and fire the manager if the results aren't there. He has his own job to do. He can't take on the responsibilities of everybody who reports to him - or force his coaches to do what he asks. Otherwise, he'll never be able to hire one, or create an even more toxic environment. This notion that Hextall should just overrule Hakstol is a truly ignorant claim - THAT is what a mickey mouse organization does.

Hextall's at fault here - for not firing Hakstol sooner for failed result. *THAT* is an offense. Stepping in to do Hakstol's job for him? No. Then why hire him in the first place?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, ask Sanheim how that worked last year, or Voro this year. He isn't forcing Hakstol to play guys.

You go to truly unbelievable lengths to defend Hakstol and mitigate the blame he gets for his own decisions for someone who claims to not defend him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall doesn't bring up players until he's convinced they're ready for the NHL and can play a significant role. The fact that he brought up Sanheim and Vorobyev proves he wanted them used.

Hakstol is the one who refused to use them so Hextall sent them down because he didn't want them benched and not playing.

And we know it isn't like Hextall brought them and then changed his mind a handful of games into the year. This is the guy who will be patient and play the wait-and-see game for crazy amounts of time... he would have given each of them far more chances than they got.

Hakstols the one who likes to impatiently make stupid changes as soon as the smallest thing goes wrong, as is proven by how often he scrambles his lines as soon as they start losing.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, ask Sanheim how that worked last year, or Voro this year. He isn't forcing Hakstol to play guys.

You go to truly unbelievable lengths to defend Hakstol and mitigate the blame he gets for his own decisions for someone who claims to not defend him.

You think saying that the GM is in charge of the team’s roster is going “to truly unbelievable lengths to defend Hakstol”? Your mind is warped when it comes to Hak. News flash: He’s not 100% responsible for everything.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There are 3 coaches in the entire NHL that have longer tenures than Honk, plus a few more hired around the same time.

Someone in the Honk defence force please tell me how he is deserving of being the ~4th longest tenured coach in the league. I would love to hear that argument.

In fact, I would love to hear any argument for keeping him that isn't a cop out answer (ie, no "coaching doesn't matter" answers). Let's hear the reasons he should stay. Or better yet, justify his continued employment using just his accomplishments.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You think saying that the GM is in charge of the team’s roster is going “to truly unbelievable lengths to defend Hakstol”? Your mind is warped when it comes to Hak. News flash: He’s not 100% responsible for everything.

Yes, pretending that Hakstol doesn't have the say on who is on his roster and assigning that decision to Hextall is going to unbelievable lengths. It's actually unbelievable that you think Hextall, who has been pretty damned hands free and let Hak just do whatever endlessly, overrides roster decisions. If that were the case Sanheim wouldn't have been demoted last season. Nor Voro this season. Or, when they were demoted, it would have been instantaneous were it his decision in the end. Instead both demotions were his reaction to Hakstol simply refusing to play them.

By pretending Hakstol micromanages the roster you are removing blame from Hakstol for his own choices.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He chose MacDonald over Myers once already.

Absolutely nothing Hakstol has indicated in his tenure says it's worthwhile to assume that he will use Myers over Mac. Like that time when Morin outplayed Mac and Mac was still chosen over him.
I think you're responding to someone I have blocked, but in the interests of fairness - Hak has scratched Mac 12 of the last 14 games.

Reactions: dingbathero

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think you're responding to someone I have blocked, but in the interests of fairness - Hak has scratched Mac 12 of the last 14 games.

Yet he’s still in the NHL and Myers in the minors. So, as it relates to Myers, he’s still choosing Mac regardless of if he’s scratched.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And yet in the games he has played, he uses AMac as a top 4 Dman.

The entire point is that if Sanheim or Ghost WERE traded in a deal for Nylander, there is nothing to suggest Myers would be recalled and be playing over AMac.

It's just stupid that someone would say "the time is ripe" to trade a Dman when we have Gudas, Hagg, Folin and AMac on it's roster. Trading a skilled guy instead of replacing a non skilled one is just a dumb idea.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You can’t reason with people who have convinced themselves that Hakstol not only is the team’s coach, but also the GM. Dear God. I mean, I want a new coach, but the lengths people go to twist *everything* as being Hakstol’s fault are fascinating. It’s like a mental illness.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall has said he discusses players, among other things, with Hakstol every day.
Which tells me they're in general agreement over players.

In the case of MacDonald and Weise, this year there is also the consideration that Hextall may want to move them before the TDL. If they don't play, that's basically impossible, even with money retained. So as long as they're playing decently, they win ties for now. AMac was terrible to start the season and was benched, he was decent against the Devils and may sit Folin (another candidate to be moved to make room). Injuries occur around the league and teams need to fill out their 3rd pair or 3rd/4th lines.

Vorobyev got a shot, he stunk, Weal got a shot, he played well, so Vorobyev is back in the AHL, no conspiracy theory needed.
One reason Hextall is conservative about playing prospects too quickly, lots of prospects (see Boston, NJ, Edmonston, etc) get sent back.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yet he’s still in the NHL and Myers in the minors. So, as it relates to Myers, he’s still choosing Mac regardless of if he’s scratched.

He didn't scratch Farmer anyway - Farmer just gave birth a few weeks ago and was on paternity leave. Don't ask me how that's scientifically possible - as I have said before, I went to Catholic school and don't know anything about the human body.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There are 3 coaches in the entire NHL that have longer tenures than Honk, plus a few more hired around the same time.

Someone in the Honk defence force please tell me how he is deserving of being the ~4th longest tenured coach in the league. I would love to hear that argument.

In fact, I would love to hear any argument for keeping him that isn't a cop out answer (ie, no "coaching doesn't matter" answers). Let's hear the reasons he should stay. Or better yet, justify his continued employment using just his accomplishments.

This organization no longer holds itself to a high-standard.

That's how the Hextall tenure will be remembered when it mercifully ends.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Of course we started Swiss cheese pickard who has performed as well as can be expected. Should be playing Lyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce