Dave Hakstol Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The thing is, how many more games would we have won if our PP was working at it's normal pace? Saying we could have a couple more wins is far from outlandish.

So if it gets back to how we know it usually is, which I'd bet on happening, we're likely to see their winning pace increase too.

The same problems will exist, but our stars will carry like always.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
The thing is, how many more games would we have won if our PP was working at it's normal pace? Saying we could have a couple more wins is far from outlandish.

So if it gets back to how we know it usually is, which I'd bet on happening, we're likely to see their winning pace increase too.

The same problems will exist, but our stars will carry like always.
Hexy’s brother D Head will disagree

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But they’ll at least keep it close.

It’s very unlikely they get to the point where they’re definitely out at the trade deadline, which is the only way Simmonds has any chance of being moved.

Wish they’d be proactive with certain decisions. Good effort goal aside, only Hockey Guys can convince themselves his intangibles are essential to this team making and/or winning in the playoffs. PP2 will likely be a below average unit because of the QBs, irrespective to the net front, and his 5v5 scoring is replaceable. He’s not make or break.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wish they’d be proactive with certain decisions. Good effort goal aside, only Hockey Guys can convince themselves his intangibles are essential to this team making and/or winning in the playoffs. PP2 will likely be a below average unit because of the QBs, irrespective to the net front, and his 5v5 scoring is replaceable. He’s not make or break.
Yeah, I'd really like them to trade him right now because I think he's basically useless at this point, but I just can't imagine that happening. His entire value was his PP scoring, but he's already been replaced on the PP (I'd prefer both JVR and Patrick over him on the top unit) and at 5v5 he's just awful... so what's the point in keeping him around? Let alone re-signing him, which I also can't imagine happening.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I was watching Money Ball for some reason last night & it was hard not to think of hockey guys during it. Change the sport & lingo but otherwise it’s the same shit. :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I was watching Money Ball for some reason last night & it was hard not to think of hockey guys during it. Change the sport & lingo but otherwise it’s the same ****. :laugh:

"Hockey thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody, I'm-I'm ostracized. I'm-I'm-I'm a leper. So that's why I'm-I'm cagey about this with you. That's why I... I respect you, Mr. Hextall."

tenor.gif

"Shut up, Ian, and get me a coffee and the latest proprietary heaviness data."

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
"Hockey thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody, I'm-I'm ostracized. I'm-I'm-I'm a leper. So that's why I'm-I'm cagey about this with you. That's why I... I respect you, Mr. Hextall."

tenor.gif

"Shut up, Ian, and get me a coffee and the latest proprietary heaviness data."

Give me the +/- & the faceoff numbers!

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Appleyards post a bunch of pages back about usage is clear as day. I been saying for a while that the coots line and provy have been solely used to shutdown other teams not score. Where as last year he used flip to get them better match ups. In the beginning of the year.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's pretty telling that in this game and the Panthers game, the Flyers are getting throttled for two periods and then, BAM, the skilled players on the team chuck the game plan out the window and take over the team. These third-period efforts aren't because the coaching staff is exhorting them to better effort or adjusting. It's because the staff is being ignored.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They didn’t get throttled in the 1st and 2nd today. Overall they played very well but they got zero luck, Pickard is ass, and the PK f***ed them. But it’s not like the Panthers game...

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's pretty telling that in this game and the Panthers game, the Flyers are getting throttled for two periods and then, BAM, the skilled players on the team chuck the game plan out the window and take over the team. These third-period efforts aren't because the coaching staff is exhorting them to better effort or adjusting. It's because the staff is being ignored.

This of course is substantiated by your lumberjack sources?
Flyers came out flying against TB in the 1st period, just couldn't close the deal, same against the Devils.
You can play aggressive and create scoring chances, but if you can't finish, . . .

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Intangibles are important, and anyone who says they aren’t is wrong. Playoff hockey requires added physical and mental toughness on a greater scale than regular season hockey. Obviously each round is more difficult than the last.

In the case of Simmonds, he is a guy who can be a leader on the ice. He is a guy you want in your team in the thick of it. It doesn’t mean I want to resign him, as I think should have already been moved. He is going to make too much on his next deal for too long. I stress the too long part. I honestly wouldn’t be mad if he was signed to a high cap/short, but it’s gotta be 3 years or less.

However, what’s more important than attitude is ability - specifically the ability to play at high tempo. And high skill players are not automatically pansies - it’s not a mutually exclusive club. Giroux, Ghost, TK, Provy, Couts and others have shown the required attitude to make a deep playoff run. If the team wins a Cup, it’s going to be Giroux (or similar) lifting the Conn Smythe, not Simmonds.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The problem is that it’s selective. It’s mostly brought up only with guys who need a boost in ability &/or guys who play a certain style that hockey guys clamor for.

That’s where a lot of poor player evaluations in this league come from. Certain guys get propped up while others get knocked down while their abilities suggest otherwise.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad