Line Combos: Datsyuk possibly back this weekend | Might play with Zetterberg and Larkin

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Marleau is not a playoff performer

Wasting assets like mantha or jurco on anything but a top pairing dman is a horrendous idea

We dont need anymore forwards

We need that high level dman

if none now then just sit on our hands and wait

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Wasting assets like mantha or jurco on anything but a top pairing dman is a horrendous idea

I agree completely. This team has too many good forwards. Marleau simply trades the future to address a position of strength. He is a great player though. At this point I have my heart set on somehow getting Vatanen. Anaheim has a surplus and he's still green enough that he won't cost too much. He'd look so good with DK.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jurco should be trade bait. Won't add anything significant on the team.

Does not fit on the PP, won't PK, isn't a faceoff-winning center, does not like to play net-front. Every guy on the team should add at least two dimensions on the team.

So far he is just a forecheking winger, which we don't need in reality. Other kids will pass him, Larkin already went over, and now AA is doing same.

Actual Thought*

Jurco should be trade bait. Won't add anything significant on the team.

Does not fit on the PP, won't PK, isn't a faceoff-winning center, does not like to play net-front. Every guy on the team should add at least two dimensions on the team.

So far he is just a forecheking winger, which we don't need in reality. Other kids will pass him, Larkin already went over, and now AA is doing same.
Agree but he really has no value.

Actual Thought*

Agree. Marleau is invisible in the playoffs. We already have Nyquist to fill that role.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Agree. Marleau is invisible in the playoffs. We already have Nyquist to fill that role.

And then you went checked Marleau's playoff statistics...

...and noticed he has 103 points in 143 games which is TOP10 of active players in the NHL...

... noticed his 60 playoff goals is 2nd best from active players after Jagr (78)...

... and noticed his 15 playoff GWG is 2nd best from active players after Jagr (16)...

...and noticed his 4 playoff overtime goals is tie-highest from active players with Jagr and Patrick Kane...

:sarcasm:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree completely. This team has too many good forwards. Marleau simply trades the future to address a position of strength. He is a great player though. At this point I have my heart set on somehow getting Vatanen. Anaheim has a surplus and he's still green enough that he won't cost too much. He'd look so good with DK.
We don't have too many good forwards, but I agree we shouldn't waste assets on someone like Marleu.

Defense is #1, #2 and #3 priority. Anaheim is such an interesting trade partner for us imo. Vatanen, Theodore, Lindholm, Fowler, Despres.. they can't keep them all. Holland needs to be in there like a bloodhound trying to find a deal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Much like with Thornton this is completely inaccurate by the stats. Actually statistically Marleau has been a fairly good performer in the playoffs. Not as dominant as he has been in the regular season, but that is true of almost every player including Datsyuk...

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/reco...-all-time-playoff-goals-per-game-leaders.html

Highlights of what you can find here:

7th in terms of active players in goals per game average in the post-season
2nd in terms of active players in GWG, one behind Jagr (16) with 15 In fact this place Marleau Top 10 in the history of the NHL at #9...
24th in points per game among active players.

Marleau in 147 playoff games has 60 goals, 43 assists for 103 points. He is a -11 though not a huge fan of that stat.

Now could he have done more in a lot of runs? Absolutely, he has had some stinkers, but he isn't an awful player by any means in the post-seasons the stats back that up and as a team that has seen him up close a few times I am surprised us of all fan-bases would try to saddle him with that, he is generally pretty good.

I do not want to acquire him, especially if we have to give up significant assets which we would. Also even if we worked out a way to give up mostly futures we would have to figure out our RFAs this off-season with his big contract on the books.

He makes our team a lot better and Patrick Marleau has been and still is a good player whenever he suits up by in large. Alas not much to worry about rumors are we aren't a place he would waive his NMC to anyway.

...and noticed he has 103 points in 143 games which is TOP10 of active players in the NHL...

... noticed his 60 playoff goals is 2nd best from active players after Jagr (78)...

... and noticed his 15 playoff GWG is 2nd best from active players after Jagr (16)...

...and noticed his 4 playoff overtime goals is tie-highest from active players with Jagr and Patrick Kane...

:laugh: Beat me too it. But yes the Sharks failed to meet expectations, that has happened to some very good teams over the years because of circumstances. Thornton actually hasn't really been quite as good as Marleau but both are far better than the people that want to label them chokers seem to realize. True of when you watch them in our series over the years. Simply put the last two times we ran into the Sharks yes Seto and Pavelski played very well, but it could also be said the best two players in those series were Thornton and Marleau outplaying our superstars and that was a part of the problem.

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Marleau supposedly gave 3 teams he would go to, LAK, Anaheim and Rangers.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Then you check that Marleau just doesnt win, Loser4life ;)

Actual Thought*

Well at least I was spot on with Nyquist:laugh:

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
I find it hilarious when people say Nyquist doesn't perform in the playoffs. He wasn't good against Boston. Oh no. Nobody was. We were embarrassed. He actually scored a goal last year unlike Zetterberg. And the line of Nyqvist - Andersson - Brunner was lights out against Anaheim and Chicago in the year prior. Get it together people.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I find it hilarious when people say Nyquist doesn't perform in the playoffs. He wasn't good against Boston. Oh no. Nobody was. We were embarrassed. He actually scored a goal last year unlike Zetterberg. And the line of Nyqvist - Andersson - Brunner was lights out against Anaheim and Chicago in the year prior. Get it together people.

5 points in 14 games with PP time is money? Since when?

7 points in 30 playoff games is all you need to know about Nyquist. It's not like he adds grit oe a defensive game either. And no, I don't give a **** about Nyquist's 55% CF during those games. You need points to win playoff games and he hasn't contributed at all.

And as much as you want to talk about Z not scoring goals last year in the PO's, he still outscored Nyquist. So I really don't know what point your trying to prove here... Sure not one backed up by facts thats for sure.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
5 points in 14 games with PP time is money? Since when?

7 points in 30 playoff games is all you need to know about Nyquist. It's not like he adds grit oe a defensive game either. And no, I don't give a **** about Nyquist's 55% CF during those games. You need points to win playoff games and he hasn't contributed at all.

And as much as you want to talk about Z not scoring goals last year in the PO's, he still outscored Nyquist. So I really don't know what point your trying to prove here... Sure not one backed up by facts thats for sure.
On a team that hasn't had much success in the playoffs in recent years you can blame almost anyone. If anything, this year is the first year where Nyquist is paid like a guy expected to make a serious contribution in the playoffs.
You have to realize that we have gone up against the absolute top contenders of the league each year. Anaheim was a top team, Chicago won the cup, Boston was a top team, Tampa went to the SCF. It's been a trial by fire in the playoffs for all our young guys. Pretty different scenario from being a top team and getting to feast on Arizona or Columbus in a 1st round. Even supposed elite playoff performers like Toews often go through entire playoff series with only 1 or 2 points, it's just that during a long playoff run you get more chances to produce. I think Nyquist has been fine in the playoffs for the most part, but he may not be the guy to carry us to some kind of underdog playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad