Line Combos: Datsyuk possibly back this weekend | Might play with Zetterberg and Larkin

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Just for the sake of Zetterbergs longevity I don't want him playing center.

Remember what happened last year ?

Actual Thought*

Using Z, Dats and Larkin at Center doesn't help Z much. For the longevity of the year its best to have Z on the wing. My guess is if lines struggle me move to. Either way, might as well try the lines above. They make the most sense as long as Sheahan can handle it, although I have my doubts.

Z, Dats, Abby
Nyquist, Larkin, Tats
A isn't coming off surgery this year. Back is fixed. He should be fine.

Actual Thought*

You know the way you create matchup problems? By stacking the **** out of a line. If you spread all of your really good players around, the other team can focus on those really good players and you're left hoping that Riley Sheahan and Teemu Pulkkinen and Luke Glendening are going to be the difference makers.

Whereas, if you stack the top line, you automatically have the matchup problem you want with Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, and Dylan Larkin being the guys who will make stuff happen. Load the top line to get great matchups for THOSE guys as opposed to hoping that maybe you find one with a third line.

And if the other team stacks its best defensive players to counter that top line, then you have the TSN line facing prime matchups where they should be able to do some damage.

I will never understand this need for balance and uniformity. Utilize good players with good players. Survive the shifts of your bad players. If it doesn't work, you can change it.

I mean, honestly, why are you so beholden to the depth? Haven't they been **** all year? Haven't they been outplayed all season? Why not try something new?
That's exactly opposite of what has worked for eons. One line teams don't ever win cups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

1. Eons. Ions are charged particles.
2. More than one thing can work at a time.
3. Even Babcock would load up when he needed a spark. This team needs a spark.

Spell correct on my phone sucks but we could probably use some "charged particles":laugh:

If you put all your weapons on one line you won't have more than one thing working at a time. You will have what we have now. One line that is effective.

Babs and other good coaches might stack up when trailing and go for a push but they typically try to have threats throughout their line ups. It just makes logical sense and it works. It is the reason Pav and Z have been separated for the last several years. This teams needs a lot of things but one of those things is balance. Most NHL teams can deal with one potent line. Most struggle to deal with 3 or 4 potent lines. Putting all your guns on top and trying to overpower everyone is okay in college or in the juniors. Won't work in the majors.

We have very good support players in Tats, Gus, Abby, Sheehan, Pulks, ect... They can be very effective with elite playmakers feeding them. We have 3 elite playmaking centers and we are going to put them on one line? It makes absolutely no sense.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I don't think those lines will last long to be honest. I am very interested in seeing the damage Datsyuk, Z, and Larkin will do but I do not think that line combination will last for more than a game or two UNLESS Tatar, Sheahan, and Nyquist start to tear it up.

We'll see how it goes.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I was hoping they'd pair Z and Dats with Larkin. That line would be sweet. Hopefully Richards is backbby then too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If Larkin z and Aby only good line we have why brake it . I would like to see Pavel first game in 3rd line with AA and Helm and he can run power play too

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not an issue with every team, but we better hope Ericsson or Smith is out there if that is the line we are rolling. There are going to be teams that are going to see this as a green light to get up to no good. A rookie and two guys that while strong we have seen attacked at times in the past worries me a little. People might not worry about the prowess of Abby in terms of pure fighting but you better believe they worry about what he could do coming in from the blindside in a scrum if he doesn't like what you are up to or answering a heavy hit shift with one of his own on your D.

But we will see how it goes. Obviously a lot of talent and Abby should be able to cause massive problems for third pairing defenders on the third line, especially the younger variety that really have trouble transitioning to the NHL and moving big men away from the goal. Abby better be careful though, Teemu doesn't know where his shot is going all the time, makes him a tough guy to want to screen for, but he is the best we have at it so I hope that works out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Using Z, Dats and Larkin at Center doesn't help Z much. For the longevity of the year its best to have Z on the wing. My guess is if lines struggle me move to. Either way, might as well try the lines above. They make the most sense as long as Sheahan can handle it, although I have my doubts.

Z, Dats, Abby
Nyquist, Larkin, Tats

It does if it allows us to limit Z's minutes. Instead of Z having to shoulder 19+ minutes a night, he could handle 17, Datsyuk could handle 17, and Larkin could handle 17. It would also limit how much we have to roll the fourth line out there. The bigger question is our ability to get multiple lines going.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Larkin-Zetterberg-Datsyuk
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Athanasiou-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Helm

I would like to see how those lines work out. I hope they give Athanasiou a few more games to prove himself and if they have to waive Jurco or Andersson so be it.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
You know the way you create matchup problems? By stacking the **** out of a line. If you spread all of your really good players around, the other team can focus on those really good players and you're left hoping that Riley Sheahan and Teemu Pulkkinen and Luke Glendening are going to be the difference makers.

Whereas, if you stack the top line, you automatically have the matchup problem you want with Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, and Dylan Larkin being the guys who will make stuff happen. Load the top line to get great matchups for THOSE guys as opposed to hoping that maybe you find one with a third line.

And if the other team stacks its best defensive players to counter that top line, then you have the TSN line facing prime matchups where they should be able to do some damage.

I will never understand this need for balance and uniformity. Utilize good players with good players. Survive the shifts of your bad players. If it doesn't work, you can change it.

I mean, honestly, why are you so beholden to the depth? Haven't they been **** all year? Haven't they been outplayed all season? Why not try something new?

Survive the shifts of your bad players?? :laugh::laugh:

Sounds like a great game plan! :help:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Bowman could load up with putting Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan together. It was fun. It might get the opposing coach off of his gameplan.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bowman could load up with putting Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan together. It was fun. It might get the opposing coach off of his gameplan.
Well, a line of Z-Dats-Larkin is pretty much loading up for us.

Would also be interested in seeing Larkin in that #2C role between Tatar and Nyquist. I think that could be a fun line.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Sheahan-Athanasiou-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Helm

Then with Richards back you can send AA down if he isn't tearing it up.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

Would also be interested in seeing Larkin in that #2C role between Tatar and Nyquist. I think that could be a fun line.

Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Miller-Glendening-Helm

That's looking pretty sexy.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Miller-Glendening-Helm

I was just repsonding to some comments about loading up. When we played the Avs in 02, Bowman sent Fedorov, Yzerman and Shanahan on the ice. It forced Hartley to put Forsberg and Sakic together.
A coach can load up, it is a head game, he plays a head game with the opposing coach and the players. They might get off of their game. But that is not something that will work in a long run. At the same time, it can be used sometimes, it can be a great weapon.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
Sheahan is more than capable of being a 2C. His line with Nyquist and Tatar has been our best possession line all year and they have multiple goals each. I would consider it our best line. Even though they only play 13 minutes a game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don't see why people keep calling of Sheahans head.

Like our beloved announcer said. He has just as many or more goals then, Perry, Getzlaf, Crosby and more.

He should have 2 or 3 more points though. He will have one of those games where he gets like 3 or 4 and then go back on pace.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
id consider

abdelkader datsyuk zetterberg
nyquist larkin tatar
AA sheahan pulkkinen
helm glendening miller

Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Miller-Glendening-Helm

what this guy said

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't mind seeing a two goats & a kid line just to see what kind of damage it could do. Larkin is the real deal IMO, and D & Z are two of the best to learn from.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Pumped for Friday and hope Dats is back. Excited to see what his presence does. Hope they keep AA in.

I'm one of the resident Anti-Joker people here. But he does do a lot of good stuff on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad