Datsyuk Going To His Actual Home. In Russia. Finally.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Wow, Datsyuk left the NHL for alot of reasons imo. That no one here is getting.

1. He wanted to go to be more apart of his daughter's life in Russia. I believe he said one was 12- 13 or something and was with his previous wife and was also having/had a new daughter with his new wife and due to playing in the NHL wasn't exactly there for things in person much. I'm sure things were real difficult with the oldest daughter being him and the mother weren't even together to support the relationship.

2. The team wasn't competitive. ( The team was only making the playoffs because he was on it. )

3. He was given/paid more money to go play in the KHL than here actually if I remember right the first year at least.

4. He let his intentions be known to the organization so they could managed to do something with him before he retired.

Idk, none of this was on a Federov level imo who held out once, then signed an offer sheet I believe from Carolina, then moved on for less money in FA to a worst team.

*If Federov would of just signed the deal the Red Wings offered him vs Anaheim the Red Wings dynasty could of lasted much longer. There still would of been a time where Federov was competeting for Cups in 07/08/09 with this team. Dastsyuk/Federov/Zetterberg could of been a beloved and historic trio. If he just stayed the coarse he'd of maybe won 5 or more cups imo and real debate would of been up for who deserved the captaincy after Yzerman.

So as far as his return to the NHL. Nah not happening unless his Daughter is/has become busy with charter schooling or something. I just can't see why he'd want to come back to North America and not be apart of her life vs playing in Russia an at least getting some opportunity to see his daughter, etc.
DATSYUK DIDN'T RETIRE. He broke his contract to go play in another league.

Regardless of how people feel about it, let's at least get the facts right.

Also, Fedorov.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
While we're on the topic of facts, here's McKenzie's full tweet (emphasis mine):

Heard some idle chatter that 40-year-old KHLer Pavel Datsyuk might consider a return to the NHL next season but his agent Dan Milstein says: “Every year we sit down and talk about options but (returning to the) NHL isn’t something he has entertained.”

Reactions: 14ari13

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Pavel Datsyuk announces retirement from NHL

Datsyuk to leave NHL after playoffs

Red Wings' Datsyuk plans to retire from NHL

Funny how three different articles from three different sources paint the same picture. Sign on here and talk with a few chummy fans and you'd think Pavel left the Red Wings like Phantom of the opera.

Literally nothing is the same between Datsyuk/Federov.

Everyone else telling people to get their "facts" straight. Are having straw man arguments lol, and I'm not stoopin down to that level so you feel 'right' and validated for some reason.

Also Mr. Facts. Datsyuk couldn't just go play in the KHL with a contract still. He had to retire, smarty smarts.

Pavel Datsyuk signs two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg

The Arizona Coyotes signed Datsyuk's voluntary retirement papers Thursday night, paving the way for the move.
The deal is worth a total of 500 million ruble, roughly $7.8 million U.S. dollars.
The Detroit Red Wings traded Datsyuk's rights to the Coyotes on June 24, swapping positions in the first round (the 16th and 20th picks), and acquiring Arizona's second-round selection (No. 53) and center Joe Vitale, who will spent next season on long-term injured reserve.
The Coyotes assumed Datsyuk's cap hit of $7.5 million, enabling them to reach the cap floor without having to spend the money.
Datsyuk ended up collecting $15.5 million from the $22.5 million deal with the Red Wings. He declined a $2 million bonus due in February for the 2016-17 season, knowing he would be around. His base salary for the final year of Red Wings deal would have been $5 million.

So sick of everyone being the smartest guy on the board here. Do some research. Google it even.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not to mention half of you are just cold. You clearly don't have kids. You'll never understand his situation till you get your own.

Someone acted like it's not a big deal he was playing in North America vs Russia cause his daughter lives three hours away... Like the situation is the same or even similiar... Wow. Really, what do you guys do between your jobs? Never see family/friends?

I don't think he did a solid or anything. I'm not saying it was even ok, but it's way different than Federov and though he did change his mind on us he did it about as respectfully as possible letting the right people know, etc.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
One major thing you keep getting wrong is that Datsyuk didn't retire. Retiring is when you stop playing hockey.

Datsyuk broke his contract to go play in another league. He's played 135 professional hockey games since leaving the Wings.

Well you look dumb.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
This team wouldn't have been anywhere close to as deep and competitive as it was from 07-09. Fedorov would've had to play absolutely lights out and worth every penny to make up for it.

Fedorov at 5yrs/$50M puts him at a $7.6M cap hit going into the cap era. That means $15.2M of a $39M cap for JUST Lidstrom and Fedorov.

Remember, this was a team that barely got Datsyuk signed under the cap at the very last minute, had over 1/3 of their roster composed of guys making just over league minimum and for a starting goalie had to settle for a somewhat washed up Chris Osgood who would have played in Detroit for a salary of 7 Taco Bell hard shell tacos a year (and not even supremes) if allowed.

Sure, with Fedorov they wouldn't have had to go get Lang. But Lang's cap hit was 50% of what Fedorov's would've been. They'd have to cut another $4.5-5M to make up the other 50% and have room to replace whoever was let go with a warm body making around $500k

They might've had to do a combination of the following:

-Trade Fedorov himself (not exactly Hollands MO however, and maybe not likely if Fedorov finishes 03-04 close to what he did in 02-03)
-Buyout or trade one or likely more of Schneider/Draper/Holmstrom/Fischer/Maltby/Legace
-Choose between Zetterberg or Datsyuk and trade the other (most likely Datsyuk because he held out well into training camp wanting Joe Thornton money)
-Let Datsyuk go to the RSL for the money he wanted
-Push Yzerman/Chelios into an earlier retirement
-If Legace goes, run a goaltending tandem of oft-injured Osgood and some $450k warm body

And then:

-Fill out their bottom line depth by rolling the dice on even more guys from the UFA bargain bin, prospects that might not have been ready or even Darryl Bootland
-Mark Mowers at 3C and Jason Woolley in the top4.

And even then, if Fedorov's game dropped off in Detroit like it did in Anaheim/Columbus/Washington while near league maximum can you even imagine the absolute roasting he and Holland would be getting if the team was barely making the playoffs around 2008 or even approaching needing a rebuild?

The team would of shed salary in the following years they'd of been able to keep Feds. Like you mentioned they'd of just had to move a few contracts THAT season. As far as the 07 team depth, I'd of rather had Feds vs Lang/Bertuzzi. They never replaced him really or most of those guys from that 02 cup, the salary cap came and we all get it... We basically let Federov go for Rafalski&Staurt the following offseason(s)... They never replaced the depth of that team really. Feds would of been just a stallwarth longer imo. His game broke down quicker (Can't prove it just my opinion.) being the main guy for Anahiem. You mentioned the slide was already happening when he had back to back 30 goal seasons but whatever. I think his second year in Anahiem he got injuried and to me that started his slide but, whatever.

I can't prove the wings would of won more cups, but keep him would of added more talent to the pool vs the outlet that happend the following three years after 02.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Well you look dumb.
Sure thing buddy. The little detail you're missing in all those articles is "from the NHL." They also are from a time when it wasn't clear if he was going to play in the KHL, which he obviously did.

Do you really not understand what retirement is?

He did not retire from the Red Wings. He broke his contract with Detroit to go play in another league. Regardless of how the article refers to some document he signed in Arizona, that does not change the irrefutable fact that he continued to play professional hockey, or in other words, he did not from playing hockey.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Wow. Very little of this is accurate and the stuff that is only techinically so.

1) He's 3 hours away from his daughter. He's in the same country, so technically that's true, but he's still a professional hockey player who's away from home a ton.

2) Ok, that doesn't give you the go ahead to weasel out of a contract.

3) And? He had a binding contract in Detroit. I'll understand you going for more money somewhere, but not when you're under a binding contract in a salary cap league that we can't invalidate your cap hit. That was scummy on him.

4) He let the organization know his intentions to leave his 3 year contract with 2! years left on it and what they could "do" was threaten to toll his contract so he couldn't play. They couldn't feasibly get rid of the cap hit for a contract he knew he didn't want to fulfill nor could they attempt to get assets out of him by dealing him to another team. He had them over a barrel and he knew it.

It's every bit on Fedorov level. The only reason the Wings are pissed about Fedorov is that he signed a poison pill deal with Karmanos who was Illitch's rival. Karmanos pulled one of the "And he's gonna donate it all to charity" moves that you see in movies and TV shows. That Illitch had to pony up 28M to keep Fedorov because Karmanos wanted to be a dick about it.

And frankly, it's for the best that Fedorov didn't sign in Detroit just before the lockout. Fedorov's rumored deal was another 10M contract. So, with the 25% clawback, he'd be 7.5 or so. So by the sheer nature of how low the cap dipped, you'd lose several players if you wanted to keep Fedorov or you'd deal Fedorov for a real crappy return because of the cap crunch. Or you are forced to do something with Lidstrom. Or have to do some weird stuff to keep Dats and Z under the cap (more so than usual).

Also, Fedorov in 07-08? He wouldn't be part of any historic trio. He was slowing down real bad. He was traded for Teddy Roth if you remember.

I think it's fairly accurate. Your pointing out difference in opinions from 1-4 not facts. I pointed out facts and his reasoning.

If you wanna correlate it on a Federov level, fine, you're aloud to perceive it how you want to but one guy left for family and the other guy wanted to leave for his own fame. One guy broke a contract to go play in his home country the other guy willingly left a winning situation, for less money, for a chance to build his own name I guess.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Sure thing buddy. The little detail you're missing in all those articles is "from the NHL." They also appear to be from a time when it wasn't clear if he was going to play in the KHL, which he obviously did.

Do you really not understand what retirement is?

He did not retire from the Red Wings. He broke his contract with Detroit to go play in another league. Regardless of how the article refers to some document he signed in Arizona, that does not change the irrefutable fact that he continued to play professional hockey, or in other words, he did not from playing hockey.

Oh yeah ok, change your argument now that you've said a million times he's not retired when infact he is retired... from the NHL. C'mon man you knew what you meant.

I don't want you to hate me either, it was just annoying watching you pick your argument with people like you where so right.

That's why I called it a straw-mans argument. Scarecrow. ;)

Retiring on the Red Wings would of killed them that year but they somehow actually milked value out of it with the Coyotes. Only because Datsyuk let them know well in advanced imo, he could of just retired on them.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Oh yeah ok, change your argument now that you've said a million times he's not retired when infact he is retired from the NHL.
:laugh: You just changed your argument in that single sentence.

Play all the semantic games you want if it makes you feel better. The facts are that Datsyuk broke his contract with the Red Wings and left them with a cap penalty. There's no getting around that's what happened.

Whatever contractual hoops they jumped through to allow him to play in the KHL (which was gracious of Holland to do), Datsyuk continued to play professional hockey. He did not retire from the sport. As I stated earlier he's played over 100 professional hockey games after leaving the Wings.

That is not retirement.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Oh yeah ok, change your argument now that you've said a million times he's not retired when infact he is retired... from the NHL. C'mon man you knew what you meant.

I don't want you to hate me either, it was just annoying watching you pick your argument with people like you where so right.

That's why I called it a straw-mans argument. Scarecrow. ;)
Re-quoting you here since you edited your post.

You seem to understand what a straw man argument is about as well as you do retirement.

I know what I meant, which is that Datsyuk didn't retire. He's still playing professional hockey, which he is.

I can't believe this is really an argument I need to explain.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Dude? He let the Red Wings know he was going to retire and go play in Russia. The Red Wings traded him to the Coyotes for value... where Datsyuk retired technically as a Coyote not a Red Wing and the Coyotes took the cap hit and he went to play in the KHL. Red Wings moved back 2 spots and gained a 2nd round pick where they ended up with both Cholowski and Hronek.

It's similiar to what Kovalchuk did with the Devils just... for different reason personally.

You're aloud to retire and go work somewhere else man. I think you're mad he's just not playing hockey at all, you wanted him to quit all together and seem to be correlating that with retirement.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Re-quoting you here since you edited your post.

You seem to understand what a straw man argument is about as well as you do retirement.

I know what I meant, which is that Datsyuk didn't retire. He's still playing professional hockey, which he is.

I can't believe this is really an argument I need to explain.

What do you mean exactly?

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
Dude? He let the Red Wings know he was going to retire and go play in Russia. The Red Wings traded him to the Coyotes for value... where Datsyuk retired technically as a Coyote not a Red Wing and the Coyotes took the cap hit and he went to play in the KHL. Red Wings moved back 2 spots and gained a 2nd round pick where they ended up with both Cholowski and Hronek.

It's similiar to what Kovalchuk did with the Devils just... for different reason personally.

You're aloud to retire and go work somewhere else man. I think you're mad he's just not playing hockey at all, you wanted him to quit all together and seem to be correlating that with retirement.

What now? That's like a CPA saying "I'm going to retire from being an accountant" then getting a job at a different firm.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
What now? That's like a CPA saying "I'm going to retire from being an accountant" then getting a job at a different firm.

Didn't like Gordie Howe do this? Retired from the NHL then went and played a few years in the WHL(WorldHockeyAssociation).

I mean your stance is crazy sounding, but we're talking about professional athletes here who enjoy their job vs a guy that's prolly work twice the time to get 1/10 the money and would rather play golf or hockey himself... lol.

I mean I'm a farmer so, when I retire I'll be old as hell and not want to work. These guys are mid thirty's-forty's fellas.

I think Amarea Stoudemare did the same thing, retiring from the NBA in `16 then went and played basketball in Israel... Still I think.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think Datsyuk ever filed for retirement from the NHL. He just left and Holland agreed not to fight it after getting him to play that second year.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think Datsyuk ever filed for retirement from the NHL. He just left and Holland agreed not to fight it after getting him to play that second year.

He was traded to Phoenix and they filed the papers for him so he could go play in the KHL. He can't go play in the KHL if he had a NHL contract unless he retires.

Pavel Datsyuk signs two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg

The Arizona Coyotes signed Datsyuk's voluntary retirement papers Thursday night, paving the way for the move.
The deal is worth a total of 500 million ruble, roughly $7.8 million U.S. dollars.
The Detroit Red Wings traded Datsyuk's rights to the Coyotes on June 24, swapping positions in the first round (the 16th and 20th picks), and acquiring Arizona's second-round selection (No. 53) and center Joe Vitale, who will spent next season on long-term injured reserve.
The Coyotes assumed Datsyuk's cap hit of $7.5 million, enabling them to reach the cap floor without having to spend the money.
Datsyuk ended up collecting $15.5 million from the $22.5 million deal with the Red Wings. He declined a $2 million bonus due in February for the 2016-17 season, knowing he would be around. His base salary for the final year of Red Wings deal would have been $5 million.

C'mon man I just posted this.

I'm standing down at this point too much effort god dang.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He was traded to Phoenix and they filed the papers for him so he could go play in the KHL. He can't go play in the KHL if he had a NHL contract unless he retires.

C'mon man I just posted this.

I'm standing down at this point too much effort god dang.

I don't think this supports your argument like you think it does. It just reinforces the fact that teams were letting him go rather than contesting the contract. If that meant technically allowing him to retire, fine, I'll concede that he technically retired. But i'm guessing it was the not contesting those retirement papers that was used to keep Datsyuk from breaking his deal earlier.

And this all conveniently tucks away the likelihood that Datsyuk signed the deal knowing he was never going to even try to complete it and was initially pushing for a much longer deal.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think this supports your argument like you think it does. It just reinforces the fact that teams were letting him go rather than contesting the contract. If that meant technically allowing him to retire, fine, I'll concede that he technically retired. But i'm guessing it was the not contesting those retirement papers that was used to keep Datsyuk from breaking his deal earlier.

And this all conveniently tucks away the likelihood that Datsyuk signed the deal knowing he was never going to even try to complete it and was initially pushing for a much longer deal.

IF you read the article I posted above the quotes which, i get it you didn't. You'd of read this one from the NHL sight with a direct quote from Pavel.

"I feel very bad about it. Looking back, I wish I had done a year-by-year contract, not a three-year contract. I stayed [last year] in respect for [owners Mike and Marian Ilitch]. I don't want to leave team in disaster. But if I have to do over again I would sign a different deal. I didn't realize it at the time."

If he leaves, the Red Wings will still be responsible for the $7.5 million NHL salary-cap charge for 2016-17 because Datsyuk's current contract went into effect after he turned 35.
"He feels extremely bad," Dan Milstein, Datsyuk's agent, told ESPN.com regarding the possible salary cap charge. "He's asked me to basically let the team know that he's willing to do anything. This is extremely personal to him. He would do whatever is necessary to accommodate the Red Wings, to help in any way possible."

"I'm thinking I go home after this season," Datsyuk said. "I may not be done with hockey, but -- it is hard to say -- I think I am done playing in NHL."
Datsyuk, 37, has a 13-year-old daughter that lives with his ex-wife in Russia.
"It's not an easy decision," he said. "It did not happen yesterday. I talk with my daughter all the time. I see how she misses me, how she misses my advice. … I want to come back and be closer."
Datsyuk said he wanted to make the announcement now to avoid distractions during the postseason. The Red Wings clinched a playoff berth for the 25th consecutive season Saturday and will play the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference First Round, which gives Datsyuk at least two more games at Joe Louis Arena.

Later on the deal with Phoenix was worked out. They took on the cap hit to get to the cap floor while playing younger/cheaper players on the roster. They knew full well he was retiring, similar to the Hossa move Chicago made, execept Hossa didn't have any intent to play somewhere else.

Kovalchuk retired from New Jersey leaving 77 million on the table... and they received some crazy low cap hit for the 12 remaining years through a special formula i don't understand but isn't quite as plan as someone signing a deal after 35, that player retiring and the cap penalties with it.

I'm not painting any picture other than whats been reported you're the one that is now taking the leap saying he signed a 3 year deal with malcontent.

I don't even get why people liked your comment honestly other than I guess they don't like my stance and want to hate on him for leaving for Russia. There wasn't a fact in there. It's just your personal opinion. Which is cool to have but I'm throwing out legitimate quotes from the player, what teams did, why they did it. I'm not making anything up.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Oh, hey, look, Datsyuk saying a bunch of crap to shirk as much responsibility and negative press as possible, along with his agent. It's not a lack of reading, it's a lack of buying a line that's clearly a load of manure. Suter really loved Nashville, too. Had numerous quotes about how much he loved it and wanted to stay. And ran like hell the first chance he got. Holland was trying to rebuild on the fly six years ago, too. really working that rebuild.

I'm not sure what your point is with bringing up Arizona. Of course they took him, you state why they took him and why they didn't care if he ever put his skates on for them.

edit: I should admit that part of me doesn't begrudge Datsyuk going for every penny he could get any way possible before cutting and running. I think a lot of NHLers undersell themselves and take less on deals than they could get if they hit the open market and really pushed it. It sucks when it burns our favorite team (like with suter, like with Datsyuk),

IF you read the article I posted above the quotes which, i get it you didn't. You'd of read this one from the NHL sight with a direct quote from Pavel.

"I feel very bad about it. Looking back, I wish I had done a year-by-year contract, not a three-year contract. I stayed [last year] in respect for [owners Mike and Marian Ilitch]. I don't want to leave team in disaster. But if I have to do over again I would sign a different deal. I didn't realize it at the time."

If he leaves, the Red Wings will still be responsible for the $7.5 million NHL salary-cap charge for 2016-17 because Datsyuk's current contract went into effect after he turned 35.
"He feels extremely bad," Dan Milstein, Datsyuk's agent, told ESPN.com regarding the possible salary cap charge. "He's asked me to basically let the team know that he's willing to do anything. This is extremely personal to him. He would do whatever is necessary to accommodate the Red Wings, to help in any way possible."

"I'm thinking I go home after this season," Datsyuk said. "I may not be done with hockey, but -- it is hard to say -- I think I am done playing in NHL."
"It's not an easy decision," he said. "It did not happen yesterday. I talk with my daughter all the time. I see how she misses me, how she misses my advice. … I want to come back and be closer."
Datsyuk said he wanted to make the announcement now to avoid distractions during the postseason. The Red Wings clinched a playoff berth for the 25th consecutive season Saturday and will play the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference First Round, which gives Datsyuk at least two more games at Joe Louis Arena.

Later on the deal with Phoenix was worked out. They took on the cap hit to get to the cap floor while playing younger/cheaper players on the roster. They knew full well he was retiring, similar to the Hossa move Chicago made, execept Hossa didn't have any intent to play somewhere else.

Kovalchuk retired from New Jersey leaving 77 million on the table... and they received some crazy low cap hit for the 12 remaining years through a special formula i don't understand but isn't quite as plan as someone signing a deal after 35, that player retiring and the cap penalties with it.

I'm not painting any picture other than whats been reported you're the one that is now taking the leap saying he signed a 3 year deal with malcontent.

I don't even get why people liked your comment honestly other than I guess they don't like my stance and want to hate on him for leaving for Russia. There wasn't a fact in there. It's just your personal opinion. Which is cool to have but I'm throwing out legitimate quotes from the player, what teams did, why they did it. I'm not making anything up.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

A big part of this misunderstanding would be that you allow his retirement from the NHL as a valid excuse to play in the KHL. I don't view it that way. They (the Wings and NHL) allowed it and I still don't know why. I said it at the time and I was also incredibly critical of the Kovalchuk situation and then reduction of the penalties associated. I also conceded with Datsyuk that if he signed with Yakateringburg or sat out the year that the rumors circling about the SKA payday could be easier dismissed. I will also be against this if Malkin or Ovechkin pull this crap and I would absolutely like to see the teeth enforced by the league through the IIHF on this stuff. It is actually against the rules as long as the league contests, personally if I am an owner this goes in the next CBA in terms of a policy along with the NHLPA to make guys understand this isn't okay.

You can feel that way, I get the Datsyuk apologists. I am not one and I cannot lie that most of that hardline comes from things I have heard from people around the organization that are not strictly shareable in terms of our own rules. So sorry to some of you but there is a framework here that really does bar me from flat out stating it. There is plenty of smoke around this and substantial people on record. Gave and Custance talked about him not getting his jersey retired and his standing in the organization as poor on a Full 60 podcast a while ago.

Go to the 46 minute mark. Well actually listen to the whole thing if you haven't it is fascinating as a Wings fan in my opinion.

Those are two very well connected Red Wings media guys. How that three year contract was done by Milstein and Datsyuk from beginning to end was well.... You can lose respect for someone while appreciating the talent and many of the things they did give. I have little respect for the guy and it goes beyond just his quitting on the team a year and half a season early. I don't like what he did or anything I have heard about it since. I do think the organization handled this better than the Fedorov situation and there is tremendous love for Datsyuk there in terms of they didn't run him over with a bus like they did Cujo, White, Mrazek and yes Fedorov. He earned that, but they could shove him under one at any moment and there wouldn't be much surprise.

In fact if he did return with another team next year, my guess is you would hear a lot more about some of this. He quit for his bigger payday in Russia and that quote about not understanding the contract and his agent not understanding the contract is one of the most blatant lies in this process. So quote it away that was the Wings warning when he asked for five years.... That excuse in terms of the several he came up with for not honoring his contract was the most ridiculous for me. Yes he might have seemed like he didn't know English and other things but that was a part of the show, for a lot of his career he was one of the smartest guys in Hockey and most that followed us closely know that as well. Oh yeah he couldn't translate his age or understand his warning on 35+ contact... Nope, just no.

Datsyuk does what he wants, it is a part of who he is. I appreciated the heck out of watching him play. HHOF player no doubt that did a lot for this organization. Shame it wrapped up the way it did.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Oh, hey, look, Datsyuk saying a bunch of crap to shirk as much responsibility and negative press as possible, along with his agent. It's not a lack of reading, it's a lack of buying a line that's clearly a load of manure. Suter really loved Nashville, too. Had numerous quotes about how much he loved it and wanted to stay. And ran like hell the first chance he got. Holland was trying to rebuild on the fly six years ago, too. really working that rebuild.

I'm not sure what your point is with bringing up Arizona. Of course they took him, you state why they took him and why they didn't care if he ever put his skates on for them.

edit: I should admit that part of me doesn't begrudge Datsyuk going for every penny he could get any way possible before cutting and running. I think a lot of NHLers undersell themselves and take less on deals than they could get if they hit the open market and really pushed it. It sucks when it burns our favorite team (like with suter, like with Datsyuk),

I mean, I don’t begrudge him going for all the money he can. I begrudge him breaking a signed contract and in essence ****ing over his team to do it.

Hell, if he called it quits after the harrowing ankle injury and didn’t play anymore? I would have all sorts of respect for that. But when you come back and you take the money, you gotta perform.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean, I don’t begrudge him going for all the money he can. I begrudge him breaking a signed contract and in essence ****ing over his team to do it.

Hell, if he called it quits after the harrowing ankle injury and didn’t play anymore? I would have all sorts of respect for that. But when you come back and you take the money, you gotta perform.

I think all he really needed to do was sit out the year even, which would have gone with most of his excuses for leaving. I don't think the organization would like it a whole lot more, but at least the contractual stuff would be better in his favor in terms of a lot of arguments had he waited a full year to begin playing in the KHL. I mean I don't think I would be enamored still but I at least would understand some of the defense. I honestly don't get defending how that ended now. At all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think all he really needed to do was sit out the year even, which would have gone with most of his excuses for leaving. I don't think the organization would like it a whole lot more, but at least the contractual stuff would be better in his favor in terms of a lot of arguments had he waited a full year to begin playing in the KHL. I mean I don't think I would be enamored still but I at least would understand some of the defense. I honestly don't get defending how that ended now. At all.

All he had to do was sign a one year deal and be up front with his intentions.

edit: I haven't listened to the above podcast but something I've wondered from time to time is how much Milstein was in the know on what Datsyuk's end game was. I mean, not realizing the club could contest his deal and throw a massive wrench into playing international hockey seems like something a player wouldn't realize but would have been told by an agent. Or maybe they both thought the Wings would just roll-over.

I don't know. I don't like it, and it was absolutely cut throat and cold. But that is the sort of thing that is also applauded in a lot of other places, often with people wielding considerably more power/money than the typical hockey player.

So, I don't like it, I don't support it, but it's also something that I just can't slam entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad