Datsyuk Going To His Actual Home. In Russia. Finally.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
His quote said the opposite of a return... as much as i want one.

Said idle voices said they heard it, but his agent says it was never talked about

Reactions: 21 Savage

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I doubt he would come to the Wings I feel like their relationship is strained. What would be his reason to play for a non playoff team other than money?

Correct me if I’m wrong but after his departure didnt be do an interview saying he would only ever play for the Wings in terms of NHL teams? It was after we traded his contract so the drama was fresh.

Anyways, unless we somehow get a lottery pick and bring Karlsson in, I’d rather not bring him in. We dont have 12 (or even 6 probably) forwards better than him, even in his weakened state, but seeing him come back only for him struggle up and down the ice to put up a career low in points would be a disservice to the memories we have as fans

Reactions: jkutswings

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He was playing 20+ min a game. We have Vanek about 10 min, I think this will be major upgrade over Vanek. Anyway youths not ready yet and they can learn from Pavel. Anyway he needs to stop playing hockey in motor city

My point was that Datsyuk's body wont hold up at 41 in the NHL. The fact that he played 20+ min a night 4 years ago (or at least 4 years prior to next season) and that you dont want Vanek here have nothing to do with my point.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Everyone’s naturally entitled to their own feelings, but I don’t think the collective fan base would even come close to splitting in Fedorov’s favor. Even factoring in recency bias.

The Wings did a lot more for Fedorov than Datsyuk and yet Feds essentially stepped out on the Wings twice when given the chance - during competitive years no less! I mean, Fedorov helped create the “difficult Russian” archetype. Some of the loudest boo birds I’ve ever heard across the league were directed at Fedorov courtesy of Wings fans. There is simply no contest in my mind.

Personally I have no ill will towards Datsyuk, but to play devils advocate, he did leave mid contract while Fedorov left after his contract expired and signed an offer sheet. You can easily argue that what Datsyuk did was worse, but since he comes off as such a nice guy, people (myself included lol) let him off the hook.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
That's click bait and crazy talk. But, if he does, he can sign for the Rangers. His current uniform looks almost like theirs.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Did Fedorov leave the Red Wings high and dry while under contract? Or did he leave under his right as a free agent?

Did Fedorov not play in the NHL due to injury but was magically ready to compete at the Olympics while clearly not 100%?

Fedorov sat out 2/3rds of a season while an RFA and signed a punitively bonused contract with Carolina.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fedorov sat out 2/3rds of a season while an RFA and signed a punitively bonused contract with Carolina.

So Fedorov didn't report without a contract, Datsyuk skipped out on an actual agreement, one where he pushed for five years and then seemed to want to back out two months later into a three year deal with no cap relief and significant penalties. What Datsyuk did was worse than either of Fedorov's contract negotiations. Keep in mind Datsyuk threatened us with leaving as well during each of his negotiations so it isn't like some of his contract dealings weren't contentious. Lidstrom also leveraged a desire to return overseas during his negotiations that is all apart of it when you don't have a contract. Datsyuk did and skipped on it as his final act angering most everyone within the organization. Water under the bridge for a lot at this point, it likely cost him #13 in the rafters but he is a big boy and can live with his gold medal and decision more than likely.

I have trouble believing his body would hold up and that he can compete after that kind of layoff from the step up that is NHL hockey. I like Datsyuk but I seriously doubt you are getting the Pavel of old. I don't think he has any interest, as noted by others his agent dumped on this story. But if he wants to come back and he wants to play in Detroit we have the cap space to accommodate and we should. If he plays somewhere else and again the whole thing seems unlikely but as long as it isn't the Leafs or Hawks I wish him the best.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't see these body things problematic. Pavel would be nothing but 13-14 minute NON-1st liner, and that's easy to handle for an ageless veteran. If you just love the game like Jagr did.

Joe Thornton plays currently 15 minutes per game, and that's the best/only possible age/role-comparable for Datsyuk. Pavel is even older.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
When he broke his contract and left I was told it was not a big deal because he could no longer really play in the NHL due to his ankle injuries.

But now it'd be great to have him back on the team?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
So Fedorov didn't report without a contract, Datsyuk skipped out on an actual agreement, one where he pushed for five years and then seemed to want to back out two months later into a three year deal with no cap relief and significant penalties. What Datsyuk did was worse than either of the Fedorov's contract negotiations. Keep in mind Datsyuk threatened us with leaving as well during each of his negotiations so it isn't like some of his contract dealings weren't contentious. Lidstrom also leveraged a desire to return overseas during his negotiations that is all apart of it when you don't have contract. Datsyuk did and skipped on it as his final act angering most everyone within the organization. Water under the bridge for a lot at this point, it likely cost him #13 in the rafters but he is a big boy and can live with his gold medal and decision more than likely.

I have trouble believing his body would hold up and that he can compete after that kind of layoff from the step up that is NHL hockey. I like Datsyuk but I seriously doubt you are getting the Pavel of old. I don't think he has any interest, as noted by others his agent dumped on this story. But if he wants to come back and he wants to play in Detroit we have the cap space to accommodate and we should. If he plays somewhere else and again the whole thing seems unlikely but as long as it isn't the Leafs or Hawks I wish him the best.

Oh, I wasn't necessarily saying that Fedorov's was worse or anything... but Fedorov did sit out 2/3rds of a season in the season they were trying for a repeat... with the intangible thing of "playing for Vladdy out there".

And while fans might not be irked by it, Fedorov allowed Illitch's rival to stick it to him by signing the ludicrous offer sheet offered by Karmanos. While Datsyuk had that harrowing cadaver ankle replacement surgery that from the stories Mr. I was like "holy crap, that's a hell of an injury."

And while there wasn't a salary cap implication, Sergei Fedorov cost the Red Wings 28M for 97-98 in which he played about 21 regular season games and a playoff run.

Datsyuk was worse for breaking an existing contract, but the Fedorov offer sheet was definitely something that stuck in the craw of Mike Illitch. Also, that contract that Carolina offered was bull****. 12M bonus for making it to the Cup Finals in which Carolina wasn't ever going to make it in 97-98 and the Wings were all but assured to make it. Poison pill deals are pretty disgusting.

Which leads me to question, did they outlaw them in the CBA? They must have. The signing bonuses must just be a different time frame in which to pay out as opposed to a different level of compensation now.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
When he broke his contract and left I was told it was not a big deal because he could no longer really play in the NHL due to his ankle injuries.

But now it'd be great to have him back on the team?

Even with two destroyed ankles, Datsyuk is better than basically 75% of this roster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh, I wasn't necessarily saying that Fedorov's was worse or anything... but Fedorov did sit out 2/3rds of a season in the season they were trying for a repeat... with the intangible thing of "playing for Vladdy out there".

And while fans might not be irked by it, Fedorov allowed Illitch's rival to stick it to him by signing the ludicrous offer sheet offered by Karmanos. While Datsyuk had that harrowing cadaver ankle replacement surgery that from the stories Mr. I was like "holy crap, that's a hell of an injury."

And while there wasn't a salary cap implication, Sergei Fedorov cost the Red Wings 28M for 97-98 in which he played about 21 regular season games and a playoff run.

Datsyuk was worse for breaking an existing contract, but the Fedorov offer sheet was definitely something that stuck in the craw of Mike Illitch. Also, that contract that Carolina offered was bull****. 12M bonus for making it to the Cup Finals in which Carolina wasn't ever going to make it in 97-98 and the Wings were all but assured to make it. Poison pill deals are pretty disgusting.

Which leads me to question, did they outlaw them in the CBA? They must have. The signing bonuses must just be a different time frame in which to pay out as opposed to a different level of compensation now.

Well as it turns out that was for the lifetime of the contract so interestingly Carolina would have had to pay some of that out when they lost to us in the finals years later while he was still under contract. It wasn't just contingent on that year, they would have also needed to pay a bonus if they achieved certain levels of success with Fedorov there which were pretty likely given what he would have elevated that team to.

Signing bonuses of that nature are more or less dead because of the cap. They are a part of the existing contract now but you most often see bonus problems flare up as an inconvenience when a young player gets his automatic bonus status through a league rule part of the CBA, for instance Toews Conn Smythe bonus actually help magnify the cap shedding problem forcing both Ladd and Buff instead of just one.

The Fedorov one very clearly has had a long-term impact. But just saying from those I know around the team the view on what Datsyuk did isn't held in high esteem either. Keep in mind the Ilitch's actually sat on the phone for that entire surgery listening to updates for over five hours while it happened. Mike and Marian treat their players incredibly well, but yes they did take certain things personally. I think the family at times needs to be a little more understanding, they also should be careful that to a lot of us their treatment of Datsyuk and Fedorov is becoming as tone deaf as the Norris family treating Lindsay and Kelly as betrayers for years..... That is the lesson I think more should push at them when they get demonstrative about Fedorov and Datsyuk in terms of number retirement is unless you plan on owning the team forever it will likely happen. Why put it off over pride???

If Datsyuk came back he could perhaps heal some of the wounds. I think people would be a little disappointed in terms of where his actual game at is now though if he does decide to come back. He isn't the Pavel of old when I have watched him over there, he has slowed down and I am not sure how he would take the grind of the NHL schedule anymore.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Datsyuk came back he could perhaps heal some of the wounds. I think people would be a little disappointed in terms of where his actual game at is now though if he does decide to come back. He isn't the Pavel of old when I have watched him over there, he has slowed down and I am not sure how he would take the grind of the NHL schedule anymore.

IMO, he could never really take it. how many playoff runs involved talk of him being seriously hampered by injuries? He'd still lace them up and go out there, kudos to him, but there were a number of seasons where he clearly wasn't the same guy. Every once in awhile it gets booted around how those mid-2000 teams should have won another Cup or two but they didn't, and it's at least partly on Datsyuk being unable to stay healthy.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
We need more playmakers besides Larkin, Nielsen & Green. Nyquist is probably 60/40% being resigned...if he isn't I wouldn't mind Datsyuk @ $2.5-$3.5 Max/1yr.

Both signed:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Nyquist?
Veleno-Datsyuk?-Zadina
Ras-LGD-Svech
Helm
Abby

Ehn & Turgeon-1st callups
JDLR-?

Daley--likely traded by TDL; Big E is probably LTIR this season or next.
Vanek-gone
Frk-waived/traded/dumped
Witkowski-waived/traded/dumped

Maybe we package AA (if he's on pace for ~40 pts...right now he's on pace for 50pts) & pick+ prospect (Not Hronek/Zadina/Veleno) for Pietrangelo/Trouba? I'd seriously at least consider AA+1st (top 3 protected ?)+ prospect(s) + 2nd? for a Signed/Extended Petro. I think we finish b/w bottom ~3rd-5th overall with DDK/Green/Mantha/Howard out + future inuries/slumps/schedule/long season grind/Blash etc. The 2nd half of the season always ratchets up the intensity, as teams are making their push for the PO's.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hard to imagine an 82 game NHL grind for a highly taxed salary being as cushy as his current arrangement in Russia. He's a folk hero over there and one of Putin's stars, which he seems to enjoy.

So I don't get it, but hey.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
And when he left he was still better than 90% of the roster.

And in 2016, it was us dealing with the shock of losing that player. So of course we would try to minimize the effect in our minds.

Now, it would potentially be us adding that player.

Basically, trying to protect ourselves from the bad in the first place and then viewing with rose colored glasses the potential return.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad