Datsyuk Going To His Actual Home. In Russia. Finally.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://www.bardown.com/bob-mckenzi...sQ1Cza1tu-xb0RMCtEweF2W8UCs2OMpk4zlXOJRDdEAPI
Bob McKenzie weighs in on the potential of Pavel Datsyuk returning to the NHL

BarDown Staff
pavel-datsyuk.jpg

At 40 years young, Pavel Datsyuk is producing just under a point per game at the KHL level. With 28 points in 32 games with St. Petersburg SKA, the "Magic Man" is looking like he could still be a serviceable player if he wanted to return to the National Hockey League one day.

On Tuesday night, Bob McKenzie weighed in on some chatter he's heard in the NHL community that Datsyuk could jump back overseas to North America for the 2019/20 NHL season.
upload_2018-12-18_21-0-12.png

upload_2018-12-18_21-1-51.png

Datsyuk is technically property of the Arizona Coyotes after the Red Wings offloaded his contract to the desert during the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. In the deal, the Red Wings and Coyotes swapped first-round picks (16th overall used to Jakob Chychrun and 20th overall used to select Dennis Cholowski) while adding Joe Vitale and a second-round pick (53rd overall used to select Filip Hronek). In the summer of 2016, Datsyuk announced he'd be returning to his homeland where he's currently in his third season with SKA.

Arizona will lose Datsyuk’s rights at the end of this season, meaning he'll be free to sign with any NHL come July 1st.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrjNv5M...mbed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-18_21-0-40.png
    upload_2018-12-18_21-0-40.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 3

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I really doubt it.

Putin will pay him 50,000,000,000 rubles to train him in the hockey arts.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Doubt it happens. He'd likely only play for the Wings, but you never know. He could be our #2C & let Nielsen be #3c shutdown C again, or vice versa depending on how they're both playing. Also depends on if Veleno makes the team (fairly likely) & how ready Veleno is for playing C. So many possiblities, I'd love this.

Doubt he'd wanna be a shutdown #3c though, his body may not be able to handle that at 40+. I could see him sharing the #2c load with Nielsen with Nielsen playing road games & Datsyuk at home, while Veleno is groomed for the position. Let LGD do his thing @ #3C. Also he'd instantly improve our PP units, zone entries, ticket & merchandise sales, tv ratings etc.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Oh cmon, don't toy with our hearts like that.

I would love to see Dats return for a season, i could care less if he's even half the player he was before leaving he would still easily be better than anyone in our current bottom-6. Let him center a line with Zadina and hughes (yeah i said it :sarcasm: )

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I doubt he would come to the Wings I feel like their relationship is strained. What would be his reason to play for a non playoff team other than money?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
His legacy is already worse than Fedorov's.

I could see him coming back to play in Washington with Ovechkin. I don't see him wanting to return to Detroit and I would hope the Red Wings don't offer him a contract.

What an insane take.

I’d gladly welcome Pavs back for another year, maybe it’d smooth over some of this craziness.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What an insane take.

I’d gladly welcome Pavs back for another year, maybe it’d smooth over some of this craziness.
I don't think it's that insane of a take.

To be clear I don't think this is really happening, but if it did then he's a player who broke a contract with the Wings to be near family and finish his career in his home country. If he came back to the NHL to play for any team I'd be annoyed that he left the Wings left like that and that he left Zetterberg to toil away on this crap team without him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
His legacy is already worse than Fedorov's.

I could see him coming back to play in Washington with Ovechkin. I don't see him wanting to return to Detroit and I would hope the Red Wings don't offer him a contract.

Come on, worse than Fedorovs? Really?

Reactions: Snuggs

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Come on, worse than Fedorovs? Really?

Did Fedorov leave the Red Wings high and dry while under contract? Or did he leave under his right as a free agent?

Did Fedorov not play in the NHL due to injury but was magically ready to compete at the Olympics while clearly not 100%?

Reactions: Winger98

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Everyone’s naturally entitled to their own feelings, but I don’t think the collective fan base would even come close to splitting in Fedorov’s favor. Even factoring in recency bias.

The Wings did a lot more for Fedorov than Datsyuk and yet Feds essentially stepped out on the Wings twice when given the chance - during competitive years no less! I mean, Fedorov helped create the “difficult Russian” archetype. Some of the loudest boo birds I’ve ever heard across the league were directed at Fedorov courtesy of Wings fans. There is simply no contest in my mind.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
he's my favorite player of all time but I don't want him coming back. he will be even more of a shell of himself. not to mention the whole reason he broke the contract was to supposedly finish his hockey career in Russia. that would all end up being bs if he came back

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I hope he doesn't come back. His body could barely withstand the physicality of the NHL in his mid thirties, I have no desire to see him try it at 41.
He was playing 20+ min a game. We have Vanek about 10 min, I think this will be major upgrade over Vanek. Anyway youths not ready yet and they can learn from Pavel. Anyway he needs to stop playing hockey in motor city

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad