Datsyuk Going To His Actual Home. In Russia. Finally.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Happy for him, I was thinking it was a long shot if it was even true at all. Would have welcomed him back of course. I agree with above, most likely a combination of click bait and agent B.S.

Reactions: RedMenace

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You guys/gals are right. Will delete a bunch here and I will just stop talking about it. Nothing good comes of it. I will pm a couple of you that asked. But let's leave it at that and move on.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I seriously doubt Datsyuk gave any consideration to returning to the NHL. This whole thing was:
-Posturing by his agent to get more as much money as possible from the KHL and/or
-Clickbait from Detroit/hockey/sports media drawn from ["Datsyuk's 3 years on the Coyote's voluntary retired list expires" + "Datsyuk doesn't have a KHL deal for next season" = "Datsyuk could return to the NHL" = "Datsyuk could return to the Red Wings" = Website traffic = ad revenue]
Datsyuk left the NHL because he was sick of having Escrow steal from his checks. There's no way he was going to come back and make way less money in the NHL unless he was getting a new lucrative endorsement deal from Dr. Rahmani.
Nigerian (prince) Hockey League

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That was a nice move but those two players really just waved their sticks at him too lol. That was some terrible defense even when cutting them some slack that it was a turnover.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Nice dangles for an old dude with no ankles.

He wouldn't be able to pull of those moves, moving that slow, in the NHL anymore though... unless he was playing against the current Red Wings defense.

I think you are underestimating the KHL fs you think there is a substantial difference between NHL player speed and KHL player speed. These are still elite, professional hockey players, who would not look completely out of place in the NHL.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
I think you are underestimating the KHL fs you think there is a substantial difference between NHL player speed and KHL player speed. These are still elite, professional hockey players, who would not look completely out of place in the NHL.

Well they certainly didn't look like it on that play.

The fact that a 40 year old Pavel Datsyuk playing with his busted ankles can be 27th in scoring last season says otherwise. The fact that Teemu Pulkinnen can currently be sitting at 28th in the league in scoring says otherwise. Steve Moses, who set the KHL scoring record in 2015 (later to be topped by Sergei Mozyakin), could never do enough in the AHL to crack an NHL line-up.

Last edited:

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
just wish he could have played 47 more games, it's always special when a player can play 1000 NHL regular season games with the wings, especially someone as magical as Pavel.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Compared to us slowpokes both look similar, but the reality is the NHL is a major step above the KHL in terms of talent and speed.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not but if you are not, ugh, yes they would most certainly look out of place.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not but if you are not, ugh, yes they would most certainly look out of place.

I wasn't joking. Look at international play for example. It is not out of the norm to see a team with few NHL players (ex: Switzerland/Denmark) compete with, and even occasionally beat the powerhouse countries. Yes, the NHL is a better league, I'm just saying it is not substantial. If you took an average KHL player, and inserted him on an average NHL team for one game, he would not be "lost", so to speak. These are incredible hockey players, who can play the game at a high level.

Another example, this year in the preseason, Philly lost to Lausanne. A team full of NHL talent lost to a team in a league that is inferior to the KHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Nice dangles for an old dude with no ankles.

He wouldn't be able to pull of those moves, moving that slow, in the NHL anymore though... unless he was playing against the current Red Wings defense.

Probably you're right, although to be fair one of the guys he outplayed is Corban Knight, who played for the Flyers just last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad