Speculation: Dater: Avs and Panarin have mutual interest

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don’t think he wants to go to Colorado. Not a shot at the Avalanche, the city of Denver or the fans, but between my talks with Igor Eronko, everything I’ve read about the situation and my instinct, everything leans to him signing where he’s most comfortable in a city that he’s happy in, surrounded by his people where he feels like he’s back home in Russia. I honestly don’t think he cares about winning as much as some prioritize it in their minds.

That’s why I think he ends up a Ranger.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's absolutely hilarious how adamant he is about it. It's not that we have 16mil of junk coming off the books and 10mil in space at the moment, to begin with.

We also have a lot of youngsters who could plausibly earn big money contracts over the next 3-4 years, and Rantanen taking up a lot of that $10m by himself this off-season, not to mention the other RFAs (Z, Compher, Kerfoot). How much is Girard going to get next year? What's Makar going to deserve in 3 years? Or Hughes/Kakko? Things start getting really tight, really quick, and giving Panarin whatever ridiculous contract he wants would only complicate things further.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We also have a lot of youngsters who could plausibly earn big money contracts over the next 3-4 years, and Rantanen taking up a lot of that $10m by himself this off-season, not to mention the other RFAs (Z, Compher, Kerfoot). How much is Girard going to get next year? What's Makar going to deserve in 3 years? Or Hughes/Kakko? Things start getting really tight, really quick, and giving Panarin whatever ridiculous contract he wants would only complicate things further.

3 years from now the world might end. Kerfoot is not the guy you concern yourself with if you can get Panarin. Neither are Jimothy or Z, or Girard. In two years we will also have Orpik completely off the books, Soderberg will be gone, Nieto's contract is up, Barberio's as well, Calvert and Cole a year after that, Seattle coming in into the league will bump the cap up by quite a bit again etc. If the Avs can't afford Panarin even at 10mil no one can.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
3 years from now the world might end. Kerfoot is not the guy you concern yourself with if you can get Panarin. Neither are Jimothy or Z, or Girard. In two years we will also have Orpik completely off the books, Soderberg will be gone, Nieto's contract is up, Barberio's as well, Calvert and Cole a year after that, Seattle coming in into the league will bump the cap up by quite a bit again etc. If the Avs can't afford Panarin even at 10mil no one can.

Did I read this right? You don't concern yourself with JT, Z or Girard? That's absurd.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Did I read this right? You don't concern yourself with JT, Z or Girard? That's absurd.
If Panarin wants to come to Colorado then you do it. If you concern yourself with the future all the time you'll never win anything. Next year the team needs to be a legit contender especially if Colorado lands Hughes. With Hughes, Makar and Panarin I don't see why this team can't be a contender.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not sure why he would leave Columbus for Denver given his issues with Columbus basically boil down to it not being Florida or NY.

No offense to Denver at all, I would absolutely love to live there.

That offense would also be ridiculous.

Adding Cale Makar, a top four pick (Ottawa), and Panarin would be too much. The universe would never let that happen.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
If Panarin wants to come to Colorado then you do it. If you concern yourself with the future all the time you'll never win anything. Next year the team needs to be a legit contender especially if Colorado lands Hughes. With Hughes, Makar and Panarin I don't see why this team can't be a contender.

Soderberg, Varlamov, Nemeth, Brassard, Barberio likely all coming off the books by the end of next season. Panarin doesn't mean we have to unload our young talent.

Reactions: MacBradley

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's not going to Colorado. He's either going to a big metro city or somewhere hot.
This.
My understanding is he wants major city (NY/Chi/LA/Dal) or beach (TBL/FL/LA/SJ/ANA)
That being said, if he wants Colorado then they should do everything they can to get him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Speculation at best.

Dater isnt citing any information of his is from sources, its just him spewing his own opinion based on circumstantial information and trying to read tea leaves

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Soderberg, Varlamov, Nemeth, Brassard, Barberio likely all coming off the books by the end of next season. Panarin doesn't mean we have to unload our young talent.
It would probably mean the end for Barrie, Zadorov, and Kerfoot. Barrie gets replaced by Makar, Zadorov by Graves, and Kerfoot by anyone really. That saves the Avs 7 - 10m. That should hold the Avs over for about 3 years, at that point the Avs would need to make some tough decisions.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
It would probably mean the end for Barrie, Zadorov, and Kerfoot. Barrie gets replaced by Makar, Zadorov by Graves, and Kerfoot by anyone really. That saves the Avs 7 - 10m. That should hold the Avs over for about 3 years, at that point the Avs would need to make some tough decisions.

Nah, I don't see why we wouldn't afford Z. Panarin for Kerfoot is more than ok. Barrie depends on what he wants in his next contract.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't really put a lot of stock into this personally and don't think Panarin is coming here, but I will mention that the reason he wouldn't isn't Cap space. Avs have more cap space than they will know what to do with the next 3 years and while after that it will start getting tight it'd be workable. They have boatloads right now and only really Mikko going to make big money.

Reactions: MacBradley

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Adding Cale Makar, a top four pick (Ottawa), and Panarin would be too much. The universe would never let that happen.

That would be similar to the Oilers in the 2012 offseason when we signed Schultz (Makar), drafted Yakupov (Sens pick) and then on top of that if we signed Parise (Panarin)

Way too good to ever happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad