TSN: Darren Dreger

Dreger is a credible insider

• Total voters

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Who cares about Dreger? You guys don't have to hear his ramblings. Why does it bother you guys so much that a journalist is trying to make a scope and earn his meal ticket?

There are journalists like that all across hockey on many different platforms.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Who cares about Dreger? You guys don't have to hear his ramblings. Why does it bother you guys so much that a journalist is trying to make a scope and earn his meal ticket?

Why does it bother you so much that it bothers others?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Except it does matter when you try to call people out for something. If Dregs had come out with 11m, people would not be ridiculing him the way they are. Hed still get flavk but the reason people are mocking him is that his takes are ridiculous.
But hey, you do you.

Yes they would. Remember all hacks that speculated that Nylander wanted 8 million.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Couldn't disagree more.
If a major member of the media inflates someone's value, it becomes part of the negotiations because it changes public opinion.

If every member of the media said anything more than 9x8 was an overpay, it becomes part of the bargaining narrative.

I hate Dreger because value is not absolute, its partly perceived value.

Do you really think that Dubas or any other GM pays any attention to what Dreger says and adjusts a contract because of it??? Come on give your head a shake!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yes they would. Remember all hacks that speculated that Nylander wanted 8 million.

I think he did want $8M. The hack part was nobody bothered to throw in there was nothing to suggest he was worth close to that., its like they were fanning the flames rather than really reporting on it. Same now as then, none of the "main stream" guys are really talking about how badly the Sabres and Flyers got raped with their two signings because thats somehow less newsworthy than "Marner could be as high as $13M" or other fantasy speculation.

Reactions: therealkoho

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Amazing how people are up in arms believing that he is posting inside information from the Marner camp, yet the majority vote that he isn't an insider. :confused:
Yeah I dont get that at all. He clearly has contacts.
Its also clear what side of the fence they fall on.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
My guess would be no. But do I think it's possible, yes I do. I don't think it would be $13x5, I think it would be $13Mx7. I could also see a 11.5Mx5 offer sheet.

My gut says Leafs will just match, so teams will be hesitant to bother with an OS against the Leafs. That said, I could see a team like Montreal think I'll put in a big OS on Marner. If we get him, great. If we don't, it hurts the leafs chances of improving their team and it likely makes Kap or AJ available and then I can OS them and only pay a 2nd round pick.

More than all that, I think Aho is most in danger because the owner is cheap.

Kap and AJ have both signed...moot point :P

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
i think dregs is a legit insider, but what is pretty clear is that agents & teams use him to manipulate info pretty clearly without dregs realizing what’s happening.

no one is considering offer sheeting marner to a 13-14 min contract, it’s idiotic, and it’s clearly coming from ferris/marner camp, and the moron doesn’t realize it.

or he does and is complicit in it because it gets clicks which is even worse.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
qj1mxGa.png

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

What's wrong with calling out shoddy journalism though?

If sportsmedia had a fraction of the ethical standards of other kinds we wouldnt see such garbage pushed to the public

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
What's wrong with calling out shoddy journalism though?

If sportsmedia had a fraction of the ethical standards of other kinds we wouldnt see such garbage pushed to the public

in your opinion, what has Dreger said that is wrong, etc?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I think it’s ok to call him a journalist - he gathers facts and presents them in a newsworthy fashion to the public.

He also uses the information to speculates what he thinks could happen. He certainly lets you know when he’s speculating and when he’s reporting. Which is all I want them to do so ?I can form my own opinion.
I get what you're trying to do here, but what is your definition of "facts?" The Kelly-Anne Conway definition?

Last edited:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I get what you're trying to do here, but what is your definition of "facts?" The Kelly Conway definition?

That's what happens when everyone starts reading and giving hits to any idiot who buys a url and calls it an NHL trade rumor site.

Traditional media has to get those peoples attention back through over the top coverage both in terms of volume and in terms of click bait headlines and opinions.

If we let people like Eklund die a quick death in cyberspace vs legitimizing his "throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks" methods we wouldn't hear half the 'opinion' from journalists that gets people all worked up but is meant to generate any attention both positive and unfortunately negative.

Imagine working in an industry where anyone who thinks they can buy a url and spent 15 minutes on google can all of a sudden call themselves an anonymous journalist who can operate with zero ethics and boundaries....then imagine the masses starting to flock to THIS method of news vs trusted journalists.

Sports fans obsession for ANY news....true or not....have created the imbalance and absolute train wreck coverage we now see.

Personally I follow a dozen tried and true sources on twitter and tune out the rest. I'm no worse off for it information wise. I just ingest a lot less crap on a daily basis right now then most who crave anything and therefore get crap because there's nothing to report 99% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad