Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm actually starting to think that Nurse won't stay on the team past this contract. His market value will likely be way above what he's actually worth at that point and I think the fact that Holland went for this 2 year type deal says a lot about what he thinks about Nurse. The only thing that I think could potentially argue in favor of keeping him is that he is part of the leadership core on the team, but I hope Holland ignores that and makes a smart hockey decision instead. You'll be able to find cheaper options than Nurse for the role that he fills (2nd pair LD), or, more likely, between Jones, Samorukov and Broberg we'll develop one internally.

Now the Broberg pick actually makes more sense to me, because that may have been part of Holland's thinking. Broberg and Nurse are quite similar players and it's likely that he'll be able to fill that exact same role in the future, hopefully by the time Darnell's contract ends.

Klefbom-Bouchard
Broberg-Bear
Jones-whoever

Seems like a likely top6 for the start of the 22/23 season.

That's basically what I figured when we drafted Broberg. A forward would help alleviate the weight on McDrai [assuming they can make an immediate impact] but our D corps lacks legit fluid skating Dmen.

The big question is whether Broberg processes the game like Nurse or Klefbom. Neither are great but I don't trust Nurse when he has the puck; guy seems to try to do things beyond his skill level.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Better than Klefbom, right.
finally coming around I see....
giphy.gif

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Don't want to pile on more but Nurse just not playing well.

How many times can he be set up in the slot and not score. It's been ten times in the last 5ish games? Any nhl player should bury one or two of those.

Need a healthy Klefbom back asap.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

How many times can he be set up in the slot and not score. It's been ten times in the last 5ish games? Any nhl player should bury one or two of those.

since Klef would do pretty much the same, what we have to ask for is Green to get back healthy to take a shot from the slot

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

What a stupid ass comment. Nurse has 5 goals with minuscule power play minutes which is the same number as Klefbom with prime PP minutes. Nurse has 26 points Klefbom has 33 (again playing prime PP minutes). Klefbom is -20 and Nurse is -1. Like I don’t get people on this forum.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Why do you guys hate Nurse?

Because people aren’t very smart. They think you can move him and it would have no impact in the room. They think you can swap him for any other D and it’ll be just fine. Most of these posters believe the NHL is like the video game. Moving players, especially one like Nurse, will have an impact on McDavid, Drai, the room in general. Just reading the posts it’s very evident that most posters have never played on a team and have never been in a locker room.

Reactions: GOilers88

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Because people aren’t very smart. They think you can move him and it would have no impact in the room. They think you can swap him for any other D and it’ll be just fine. Most of these posters believe the NHL is like the video game. Moving players, especially one like Nurse, will have an impact on McDavid, Drai, the room in general. Just reading the posts it’s very evident that most posters have never played on a team and have never been in a locker room.
.....or left their parents basement:sarcasm:

Reactions: foshizzle

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Based on how many minutes he is playing and where the Oilers are in the standings, I think he is playing defence just fine
That’s exactly right. He is munching minutes like no one else, and with fairly few egregious errors. Honestly, for every goof tonight, I can point to another play of his that saved the team from a Grade A scoring chance against. Filling in for Klefbom is a viciously difficult job.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
That’s exactly right. He is munching minutes like no one else, and with fairly few egregious errors. Honestly, for every goof tonight, I can point to another play of his that saved the team from a Grade A scoring chance against. Filling in for Klefbom is a viciously difficult job.

I can’t recall what game it was, but Nurse was a beast, breaking up plays, getting a stick in passing lanes, knocking pucks off sticks. He was on the ice for a goal against (not his fault) and HFOilers were all over him. That’s what they saw. Confirmation bias at its best.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I can’t recall what game it was, but Nurse was a beast, breaking up plays, getting a stick in passing lanes, knocking pucks off sticks. He was on the ice for a goal against (not his fault) and HFOilers were all over him. That’s what they saw. Confirmation bias at its best.

Yup, and I’m guilty of it too. I yell out loud at the bad pinches or the point shots that turn into 2-on-1’s going the other way. But those things happen more when you’re playing over 25 minutes a game against top forwards.

We really have a bad habit of ragging on d-men on their way up in the league, only to see them excel on other teams as mature vets. We can’t let that happen here. Fans need to get in his corner.

Reactions: foshizzle

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like Klefbom and Nurse a lot. For their two way game and leadership they bring to this team. Both are capable of being big minute defensemen with utility in their game to play all situations including PP, PK and even strength. That said on a developing team, their willingness as committed team-first players, and utility in their games, they often get stretched with too much ice-time which is natural in all players for breakdowns to occur. Sometimes I think there's a bit too much confirmation bias among fans that falsely amplifies the 'negatives' in these two defenders.

That said, I think both are miscast as PP defensemen, stepping into a hole on this team which has been missing forever. Klefbom I think is a very solid two way defenseman with a heavy shot whose good enough to take top PP minutes on this team without a more natural, high IQ offensive d-man available. The hope is that Bouchard will grow into this team's PP defenseman which will take time. This defense will be better imo when Klefbom slots into a 1B or second pairing two way defender.

Nurse is a shutdown defender with excellent skating who was able to use this asset and athleticism in junior to put up points and run the power play. With Klefbom's injury, he's called upon to take on more minutes and PP while still supporting PK. He's over extended but again with utility in his game, Nurse can crackfill many roles as called upon by the coaching staff. As this defense develops, Nurse will more naturally slot in as a shutdown 3/4 defender grinding out PK minutes and bringing a physically intimidating presence in front of the Oilers net. Fewer minutes and a more clearly defined, focused role will benefit Nurse and it will mean that the Oilers defense - an organizational weakness for much of the Decade of Incompetence going back to Tambellini - will have finally arrived.

Nurse and Klefbom are glue guys for this team and its blueline. They've had a lot of hard miles and development on the most difficult position within an organization that took a patchwork approach while focusing too much attention on flash and finesse forward.

EDIT: I also like Larssen and Benning more than most. And love to see players like Bear and Jones arrive to bring puck moving abilities to complement the core.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah because that’s how the NHL works.
Not sure what you mean but there is no way Kassian would be offered 3.2M x 4 by Oilers or anyone else right now.

Same with Nurse, no way his camp would be commanding 8M per long term anymore

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Not sure what you mean but there is no way Kassian would be offered 3.2M x 4 by Oilers or anyone else right now.

Same with Nurse, no way his camp would be commanding 8M per long term anymore
The 8 million "ask" was not an ask. That was Matheson reporting that Nurse asked for that and the reality with any negotiation is that the agent will use compairables(in this case Trouba), the GM will use compairables as well(yet the Oilers offer was not reported because that does not make the juicy headline).
Nurse never asked for that much, it has been blown out of proportion. If he had asked for that much and the offer came out 3.5 million lower do you think he would sign?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The 8 million "ask" was not an ask. That was Matheson reporting that Nurse asked for that and the reality with any negotiation is that the agent will use compairables(in this case Trouba), the GM will use compairables as well(yet the Oilers offer was not reported because that does not make the juicy headline).
Nurse never asked for that much, it has been blown out of proportion. If he had asked for that much and the offer came out 3.5 million lower do you think he would sign?
Offer that he signed is a 2 yr yr bridge deal.. if the bridge is this high imagine what he would have wanted for a 8yr deal.
It certainly would not have been 6.5M per

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Offer that he signed is a 2 yr yr bridge deal.. if the bridge is this high imagine what he would have wanted for a 8yr deal.
It certainly would not have been 6.5M per

Again if a player wants 8 million they do not sign a bridge deal, they hold firm if they really want that.
He took a team friendly deal (the cost for that role has gone up since KLefbom signed his a few years ago, which at the time was a very high contract for the player).

Either way, I would advise not to use contracts to decide if a player is good for the team, let the accountants figure that out.....unless the contracts make you like/dislike the player more?

If that is the case you should be pissed that Draisitl has such a lead on McD for the Art Ross, after all McD gets paid quite a bit more than Draisitl so he should be outscoring him by what? 20ish points?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Again if a player wants 8 million they do not sign a bridge deal, they hold firm if they really want that.
He took a team friendly deal (the cost for that role has gone up since KLefbom signed his a few years ago, which at the time was a very high contract for the player).

Either way, I would advise not to use contracts to decide if a player is good for the team, let the accountants figure that out.....unless the contracts make you like/dislike the player more?

If that is the case you should be pissed that Draisitl has such a lead on McD for the Art Ross, after all McD gets paid quite a bit more than Draisitl so he should be outscoring him by what? 20ish points?
I didn't claim if a player is good for the team or not. I just said that in hindsight we could have signed him for cheaper if we waited til now.

If a player camp starts with 8M and ends with a 2 yr deal for 5.6M per that takes him to UFA then it is a win for his camp.

There is nothing friendly about the deal. 6Mx6yrs would be his worth. He gives up 0 UFA years in his current deal and is still making 5.6 M per..

PS.. I was indeed pissed that McD didn't sign a team friendly 9.7M per deal :)

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I didn't claim if a player is good for the team or not. I just said that in hindsight we could have signed him for cheaper if we waited til now.

If a player camp starts with 8M and ends with a 2 yr deal for 5.6M per that takes him to UFA then it is a win for his camp.

There is nothing friendly about the deal. 6Mx6yrs would be his worth. He gives up 0 UFA years in his current deal and is still making 5.6 M per..

PS.. I was indeed pissed that McD didn't sign a team friendly 9.7M per deal :)

I dunno, I kind of wish we could get to a world where we have zero idea what any of these players make. Nothing is more maddening then when a player gets judged by his contract(which the owner pays) instead of his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad