Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
People need to move off the idea of Nurse getting $8 million/year for his next contract. This has speculation only with the goofy Rangers contract for Trouba. Negotiations are only that - a dialogue to find fair value- and Holland is a grinder. Nurse is a core player for this emerging team, a leader and reasonably versatile game who loves playing in Edmonton. A longer term deal will get done when the Oil gain cap space and the cap rises. I anticipate it will be in the range of $6.5 million per year.

There seems to be good faith negotiations and trust between player and management. I have confidence a fair deal will get done.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
People need to move off the idea of Nurse getting $8 million/year for his next contract. This has speculation only with the goofy Rangers contract for Trouba. Negotiations are only that - a dialogue to find fair value- and Holland is a grinder. Nurse is a core player for this emerging team, a leader and reasonably versatile game who loves playing in Edmonton. A longer term deal will get done when the Oil gain cap space and the cap rises. I anticipate it will be in the range of $6.5 million per year.

There seems to be good faith negotiations and trust between player and management. I have confidence a fair deal will get done.

It's such a weird phenomenon.

We usually laugh at every single Matheson tweet, but for some reason people are clinging to this $8M/year speculation from him like it came straight from Nurse's mouth or something.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with a 6.5M AAV for Nurse. He's clearly not able to be a good top pairing guy, he's a very good second pairing guy but I don't think that's worth 6.5M.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

We usually laugh at every single Matheson tweet, but for some reason people are clinging to this $8M/year speculation from him like it came straight from Nurse's mouth or something.

This is the guy who Oilers fans take his word as gospel...

EDuv45KVAAAePQm

I remember when he thought a fair trade was Gaborik for Malkin.
and he was serious.

Reactions: oilynutz

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with a 6.5M AAV for Nurse. He's clearly not able to be a good top pairing guy, he's a very good second pairing guy but I don't think that's worth 6.5M.

The cap is going to spike in a year or two with a new TV deal in the US. 6.5 will be a bargain at that point.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

It's a little over the top. And frankly now two years away from being an issue. But it does seem to colour some of the criticism of Nurse's play now. Think this is where some confirmation bias comes in with the guy being asked to step up to 25+ minutes per game with Klefbom's injury.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

My dart board thinking which is two years away from market conditions when Nurse will be renegotiating. We'll see how creative and nimble negotiations will be with likely long-term security an option once Holland is out of the Chiarelli handcuffs. Homegrown, a leader with this team, and a strong shutdown skill set with skating and decent support offensive ability, it will be interesting to see where both parties land. I do think there is spirit and intent by both sides to keep Nurse in Edmonton. We'll also see how Nurse performs on an emerging team with this stretch drive, hopefully playoff hockey, and please Baby Jesus ascent into a legitimate playoff contender next year and beyond.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I feel the same way . His new contract should be the same cap hit for a longer term . Too many mistakes , not a good passer . Fan are blinded by the fact he can skate , has size , is physical and can fight . Being McDavid bff is being overstated as well . McDavid wants to win . If the team is better by trading Nurse McDavid will buy in .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I feel the same way . His new contract should be the same cap hit for a longer term . Too many mistakes , not a good passer . Fan are blinded by the fact he can skate , has size , is physical and can fight . Being McDavid bff is being overstated as well . McDavid wants to win . If the team is better by trading Nurse McDavid will buy in .
I have to agree. Nurse can eat a lot of minutes, but he isn't a smooth puck mover, and he seems to be regressing as a shooter.

He's worth a lot of money, but the truly big money goes to the players who can transition the puck into the other net, and not just away from their own. And yes, you should never pay a player for being physical, not a lot anyway

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Good second pairing guys will be worth 6.5 in the next few years. Cap is going waaaay up.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is the guy who Oilers fans take his word as gospel...

EDuv45KVAAAePQm

I remember when he thought a fair trade was Gaborik for Malkin.
and he was serious.

He was running that hairdo the other day as well. Jimmy has lost the plot as one poster here so eloquently put it. Terry Jones and Matheson have not adapted well to the brave new media world and need to find a pasture to be put out in.

Reactions: booyakasha

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
He was running that hairdo the other day as well. Jimmy has lost the plot as one poster here so eloquently put it. Terry Jones and Matheson have not adapted well to the brave new media world and need to find a pasture to be put out in.

Matheson has actually done well to evolve. Everybody knows he has burners on Reddit, and I suspect he pays for upvotes there. He's likely posting here too.

Matheson is fortunate that saying stupid shit is extremely effective these days.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Matheson has actually done well to evolve. Everybody knows he has burners on Reddit, and I suspect he pays for upvotes there. He's likely posting here too.

Matheson is fortunate that saying stupid shit is extremely effective these days.

I don’t know. He sure used to bitch and moan about Twitter and social media a lot on the Journal Oilers podcast till they pulled the plug on it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If people want to hate on nurse next year for making too much money that's a tomorrow problem.

Right now hes playing 20+ minutes a night and making 3.2M. If anything hes a bargain right now and people need to stfu.

Fair point, he has another offseason + to work on his game to live up to his next contract ... but tossing salary out the window we really need him to be a bit better than he has been with Klefbom injured.

I'm usually not so fickle but emotions are high in this playoff race and his play had been frustrating to say the least. Some significant brain farts defensively and putrid offensive execution.

Reactions: McDoused

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Good second pairing guys will be worth 6.5 in the next few years. Cap is going waaaay up.

You can’t always count on the cap going up . If the Canadian dollar goes down the cap could stay the same, if Settle is a bad team and after a couple of years fans could lose interest and cap would go down as there more players to share HRR with . TV rights should push the cap up but spending money because the cap may go up will end up causing another lock out . it is a flawed business practice to spend money base on things that haven’t happen yet . Heck just a couple years ago “ I think the year Nashville went to the finals “ the cap was projected to take a big jump and it end up close to the same as the previous year . I remember read it was because 2 small market teams were in the finals .

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If people want to hate on nurse next year for making too much money that's a tomorrow problem.

Right now hes playing 20+ minutes a night and making 3.2M. If anything hes a bargain right now and people need to stfu.
Fair game!

I remember Klefbom being ripped to pieces for his $4.2M contract in 15/16 even though he was actually playing for $0.9M that season... Good times.

Reactions: McDoused

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
I like Nurse...just not sure we can build a championship team with him making 6.5M+ per on our second pair long term. We have the 2 best players in the world. That should be the goal, no? Maybe that will be the going rate for second pairing defenders in a couple years though...I dunno o_O

Reactions: Aerchon

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Nurse's contract position is getting pressure from Jones, Bear and hopefully Bouchard and others soon. If he's asking too much moving him will not hurt as much with what we have coming. Not suggesting we move him but at least we have the option now when before we were starved for talent on D.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I like Nurse...just not sure we can build a championship team with him making 6.5M+ per on our second pair long term. We have the 2 best players in the world. That should be the goal, no? Maybe that will be the going rate for second pairing defenders in a couple years though...I dunno o_O

There's really no risk with a $6.5M contract though.

If someone does come up and take his spot, now you've got a reasonably priced top4 defenseman in his prime that basically every team in the league would be interested in.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
if 6.5 (or whatever he signs for) in a couple of years is "reasonably priced" for a second pairing guy in his prime, then I guess it's fine. I can recognize that he is valuable, but he just seems to be really good or really bad to my eye. Just wish he would find more consistency in his game...

Reactions: fuswald

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You can’t always count on the cap going up . If the Canadian dollar goes down the cap could stay the same, if Settle is a bad team and after a couple of years fans could lose interest and cap would go down as there more players to share HRR with . TV rights should push the cap up but spending money because the cap may go up will end up causing another lock out . it is a flawed business practice to spend money base on things that haven’t happen yet . Heck just a couple years ago “ I think the year Nashville went to the finals “ the cap was projected to take a big jump and it end up close to the same as the previous year . I remember read it was because 2 small market teams were in the finals .

That’s true but several factors are happening;

Seattle is coming and that will add to HRR regardless if they are good or bad. One thing is guaranteed. They sold out in under 10 minutes. They will have a full building plus new merch sales for 4-5 years.

Legalized gambling across the US. The new XFL has tapped into this and made it a cornerstone of revenue generation. Thier broadcasts feature prop bets, over/under, points spreads etc etc on the screen full time as part of the stats. The NHL will take advantage of this and it will add to HRR.

US television rights are being renewed. Bettman already stated there will be no exclusivity and are selling “dates”. In other words a network will bid on Wednesday Night Hockey, Sunday Night Hockey and various packages along with increased regional packages. Streaming rights will be huge. Either way this will add massively to HRR.

Digital add content is coming where each regional and national network across the globe can sell thier own on screen digital adds for rink boards, glass and maybe even the ice surface. This will add to HRR.

Sponsors on jerseys. Not a question of if but a question of when. This will add to HRR.

If the Canadian dollar gets any weaker it means Canada is in serious trouble. The chances are our dollar improves versus declines over the long term. That adds to the HRR.

The cap is going up. No question about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad